Kingston 4GB Mini SD card SDHC 23.99 shipped no rebates at Buy.com

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Just got this in my email. Buy.com has the Kinston 4GB Mini-SD card SDHC for 23.95 shipped. Comes with the full size SD adapter. Kingston 4GB Mini-SD card

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: ActiveX
does mini sd work with a tomtom or garmin?
Don't know, but Staples will have a Sandisk 2GB regular SD card on sale for $17.98 beginning 12/23.

Dec 5, 2007
The Kingston MiniSDHC's are Class 4. The standard ones at Staples starting tomorrow are, I think, only Class 2 and are not SDHC.

AMD K9

Jan 13, 2005
I have one of these for my camera, but are there specific SCHC card readers for the computer? My San Disk adapter only shows 2gb.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Originally posted by: AMD K9
I have one of these for my camera, but are there specific SCHC card readers for the computer? My San Disk adapter only shows 2gb.

I don't think so but I am not positive. I think it's a matter of the reader itself being able to read a 4GB card. I have a non-SDHC card that will not be read by my older IOGear SD card reader at all, but my el-cheapo Vankoss SD reader from Fry's can read the 4GB card with no problems.

Dec 5, 2007

Not all SD card readers work with SDHC cards and there are readers that specifically state SDHC support. I've read posts where folks had to apply firmware updates for the built-in SD slots on their laptops in order to be able to read SDHC cards.

AMD K9

Jan 13, 2005
Weird I did the firmware upgrade for my Sandisk 5 in 1 reader and it still only shows 1.89 gb on my 4gb SDHC card. What's up with that? Does it need to be formatted NTFS as I thought FAT32's limit was 4GB for file size. I tried to format it NTFS but it had problems and wasn't able to.

Dec 5, 2007
Weird I did the firmware upgrade for my Sandisk 5 in 1 reader and it still only shows 1.89 gb on my 4gb SDHC card. What's up with that? Does it need to be formatted NTFS as I thought FAT32's limit was 4GB for file size. I tried to format it NTFS but it had problems and wasn't able to.

I'm not sure why the firmware update did not work - you probably need to contact Sandisk to find out why. With regards to formatting with NTFS - as far as I know the cameras that use these high-capacity cards support FAT32. While the FAT32 file size limit is 4GB, you can have quite large FAT32 drives - Windows 2000 (and later) can format up to something like 32GB as FAT32. Using other utilities (e.g. Partition Magic or some other disk utilities), you can have larger FAT32 partitions (I think the max. theoritical size is 2TB).

AMD K9

Jan 13, 2005
In Disk Management in XP or Vista I see a second partition of 1.98gb unallocated. SanDisk told me to delete the partition and then make a new partition, but the "DELETE PARTITION" selection is greyed out. SanDisk was no help and now I can't even recognize the card at all...

Dec 5, 2007
In Disk Management in XP or Vista I see a second partition of 1.98gb unallocated. SanDisk told me to delete the partition and then make a new partition, but the "DELETE PARTITION" selection is greyed out. SanDisk was no help and now I can't even recognize the card at all...

When you say that the card is not recognized, do you mean with Windows or in the camera (or both)? I'm not sure what you tried to delete, but if you can still see the card using Windows, then I think Sandisk meant for you to delete the space that is allocated - when allocated space is selected, DELETE should not be greyed out. If you clicked on the unallocated space and wanted to try to delete it, then the DELETE button will be greyed out as there is nothing allocated in the free space and, thus, DELETE is not a valid operation. By deleting the space that is allocated, I am guessing that Sandisk then wanted you to try to reformat the card so that the entire 4GB would show-up as one big allocated area. I apologize of the above info is of no value to you - just though I would mention it just in case.

Not sure how long ago you purchased your memory card, but if it's under warranty then see if Sandisk will replace it given that you followed the directions that their support staff gave you and were using their firmware updates.

AMD K9

Jan 13, 2005
I've tried deleting either the allocated or unallocated space, both are greyed out. There are no serial #'S or a San Disk logo molded into the plastic on the back of the card so the Sandisk rep told me to take a picture of the card to send in email before they can issue a replacement. Hope it wasn't a fake as it was an Ebay purchase. I wonder where the guy would have obtained the correct San Disk label for the front, and how would the fake show 2 partitions on the drive which was corroborated with the SanDisk rep. Odd that the card no longer shows up or the card reader at all on my laptop. Maybe the firmware did brick my reader after all...