Kings Bounty: The Legend flying under the radar

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I started another thread on this - it is not perfect ( I would prefer an AOW:SM combat system) but I definitely like it - I passed on HOMM V series because I thought the demo was bloody awful - but this is much better. The only downside to a game of this sort of replayability. The world is *HUGE* but some what static (due to the extensive quest system).

mikelish

Apr 26, 2003
i tried the demo. i kept ending up in fights I had no business being in yet.

is there a way to know a fight difficulty before you enter it?

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Yes get scouting and right click on armies before they attack you.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Viewing the trailer I'd say if you liked the HOMM series you'll like this one. The reviewers are saying the story and gameplay are quite good. The graphics certainly look better than HOMM V but it should be since its a newer game. I might pick it up. I'll have to look and see if any youtube game play vids are up yet.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Do you get to fly on the overworld if you have an all flying army, like you could in the original? That little fact pretty much dictated how I played the original.

Ganeedi

Jul 7, 2008
I'm a big turnbased fan so i tried this demo over the weekend. Katauri seems to have done a nice job with this game. The turnbased combat, while not groundbreaking, seems fun.

On the bad side, the art style makes me want to vomit. The portraits look like they were taken from the latest Romance novel. The attempts at comedy make me want to dry-heave.

That being said, the world graphics are sharp and the character animations are pretty decent.

I'll probably pick it up sometime just because its turnbased.

trance247

Jan 17, 2006
I am alot in the game already, it is fun but does end since you are constantly fighting unimaginative AI, it does take few unpredictable turns mostly in your favor so after you are at 70/70 for rage and mana and spell turn is 2 turns you can lay waste to armies pretty easy unless you are way overpowered say 10000hp against 25000hp in multiple target turn non boss squad...i tried both normal and hard and you will be re=playing a lot ... but games is great for HOMM fan like myself and i get to play in russian so humor is there but for russian nerds in katauri that were developing this game as fans for fans from what i read :)

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Is the combat engaging though? Are there battles that you had to sit and think about to win?

Ganeedi

Jul 7, 2008
Hard to say how deep the combat could get based on the demo - most of the demo seemed pretty simple.

Heres some positives & negatives regarding the turn based fights:

Negatives:
Battle maps are very small (like HOMM - even smaller?).
Limited number of combatants (about 6 per side? I dont know if this increases at all)
Type of terrain didnt seem to effect the battle.

Positives:
Lots of player special attacks including spells & items. There is a rage chest that seemed to be like another form of spell casting.
Lots of individual creature special attacks.
Random additions to the battle map including obstacles, chests, and stationary features that cause random damage.