Kingmax 2x512mb pc3200 $88 - $15mir = $73 @ newegg

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
I know there are a couple threads about this set already, but it's even hotter now.

Sale ends 3/28/05 6am PST

Linky

leigh6

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2004
It will be back in stock. Newegg game. Probably gonna add shipping of $4.33 to the price. Newegg is a GREAT company but I really dislike their pricing games.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Back in stock. Placed an order. Glad I didn't jump on earlier deals. Probably will regret next week not waiting when prices get even lower. :(

Pricing supposedly good until 3/28 and rebate good until 3/29.

Karaktu

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Apr 24, 2002
Originally posted by: itr
what's with the tremendous drop in ram prices these couple of weeks?

DRAM manufacturers are unable to reach an agreement that would reduce DRAM inventories and increase prices. Memory makers discussed inventory reduction in July in a similar manner to talks that were attempted in early 2001. Prices of 128 Mbit DRAM are down to US$1.50, with 64 Mbit DRAM down to $0.80. It takes 8 of these chips to produce a DIMM of equivalent Megabyte size. These prices have resulted in 256 MB of SDRAM selling for as low as $19, and 512 MB of SDRAM going for as low as $36 on Pricewatch.

When a similar situation occurred in 1998 Japanese and Korean DRAM makers slowed production, but Micron continued producing chips at full volume and captured a larger share of the memory market. DRAM makers are wary of entering another situation where a company not agreeing to a production slowdown could capture a bigger share of the DRAM market. The failure to raise prices has already caused one DRAM maker, Torridon, to go under. NEC has also stated that it will be out of the DRAM business.

Karaktu

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Apr 24, 2002
Gulbir Bhatia, proprietor, Prime ABGB, said, "This is a strategic move by the vendors to promote 512MB over 256MB. As of now, two 256MB RAM chips are more expensive than one 512MB chip. So buyers prefer the latter."

Manish Jain, proprietor, Mahalaxmi Infotech, said, "The vendors are looking forward to phase out 128MB RAM from the market to make way for 1GB RAM, which has already entered the market."

According to market feedback, the 512MB RAM is fast becoming an entry-level chip and its increased demand has lowered the prices of the chips entering the Indian market.

----

I also think not as many PCs/upgrades were sold around Christmas as were anticipated and left inventories higher than anticipated. You may also see rising fuel costs at play here as manufacturers look to get their goods to distributors before shipping costs rise in relation to recently spiking fuel costs.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Yeah, saw this on Newegg before all the posts on Newegg, bought myself 1 to replace my 2x256MB Corsair... 1GB goodness now :)

I bought now because I'm pretty sure the RAM market has hit bottom, or close to it.

Edit: I meant posts on ATOT, not NEWEGG... lol. Better get some sleep ;)

imported_Owl

Dec 19, 2004
Got mine! This is great ram. Already own 2 512mb sticks in another computer and it is rock solid. Love this stuff and especially the price.

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
I saw this on Thursday night or Friday morning, can't remember. Glad I jumped on it when I did. Supposedly mine have already shipped and should be here next week according to Fedex.

techfuzz

fatcat1785

Nov 27, 2004
I still weary if I want to buy this because, I need to know if it's compatible with with the Soltek K8T890. But I will probably take a risk.

INXSible

May 20, 2003
Noobie Q ...

Can you install/use this type of RAM (Dual Chan) on a "Intel 845PE" MoBo ???

imported_Owl

Dec 19, 2004
Yes, should work on an Intel 845PE MB. To be sure go to Crucial's website, put your MB in their ram selector configuration, and it will tell you what your MB can use. I'm sure your OK. Go for it. I just put this stuff in an Intel 848 setup, and it works great. Checked my MB out on Crucial's configurator first though to be sure.

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
Took a damn long time, but I finally got my rebate yesterday after only a single email complaint. ;)

techfuzz