Kingdom of Heaven

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
I saw the movie once when it came out on the big screen.

I saw it again recently at a friend's place and it was the extended version or 'director's cut'

It came out to be a completely different movie from what I remember. I felt that there were so many things added in the extended version that made me feel differently about the two main characters.

Never thought that a couple of minutes would dramatically change it for me. Anyone had the same take?

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
you should check it out.

there's a few movies that i would watch the 'extended version' or 'director's cut.' it adds a couple of minutes but that's it.

its rare that i get to see a movie that a few clips would alter the way i feel about a character or somewhat alter the storyline.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Yeah, Ridley Scott hated the theatrical version (I thought it was ok) so fought to get his director's cut out on DVD, and I agree that its a MUCH better movie.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
pretty pimp ass movie - some cheap shots in the movie - but on a whole it was very enjoyable =) Saladin was a p!mp

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Can you post any spoilers? I believe I only saw the theatrical version. I liked the movie alright.

Thanks.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: SilthDraeth
Can you post any spoilers? I believe I only saw the theatrical version. I liked the movie alright.

Thanks.

the two main male leads have a brokeback mountain moment that was cut from the theatrical version.

Oct 4, 2004
I liked the movie (theatrical version) but thought the final exchange between the two main characters was a little funny.

"What is Jerusalem worth?"
"Nothing...."
/Saladin strikes Buddy Christ pose
"Everything!"
:D

gar3555

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Good movie, I saw it in theaters as well, and then bought the director's cut. I can fall asleep for the middle 1/2 hour or so, and still say it's a goo movie.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Yes, the directors cut is a much much better movie then the theatrical version. I have seen both. I own it on Blu-ray and it is one of the most stunning blu-rays I have seen so far, It was so good that after renting it from netflix I had to buy it. Theres at least 30-45 minutes of storyline added on that totally changes the movie from good to great.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
The 194 minute Director's Cut is a roadshow format presentation with 45 minutes of new scenes, with the biggest addition to all is a subplot of Sibylla's son and all its references. In addition to the overture, and entrac'te music with more graphic violence, new scenes inserted back are:

* At the opening, there is an insert of the priest with the rotten apple together with extra dialogue with the gravedigger referring to Balian as the priest's brother. However, the complete tune that the gravedigger whistles was not put back, and only part of it can be heard.
* Balian is released from the prison on the grounds that he is needed for the bishop to complete construction of the abbey.
* Additional shots of Balian looking at the planted tree which is growing
* A flashback of Balian's wife prior to her suicide.
* Godfrey and his men having dinner with his brother, Roger De Cornier. While Godfrey is away from the table, Roger and his son conspire to kill him and take the mantle of Baron of Ibelin which explains the forest ambush later.
* Balian is abused physically and taunted by his brother the priest at the crossroad.
* The following day, the priest tells Godfrey a little background information on Balian, including his role as an engineer and having fought in a civil war. Right after that, there is an extra flashback shot of Godfrey before he left for Jerusalem.
* Godfrey's line "I am your father" in the theatrical cut is substituted with "I know your namesake."
* After Godfrey and his men leave for Messina, Balian's assistant looks on as he leaves. At night, there are additional lines of the priest taunting Balian into leaving for Jerusalem before he is killed.
* Additional shots of Godfrey's men at camp (Hospitaler brushing teeth), including a pivotal shot the English sergeant patching Godfrey's armor - which is why he is shot by an arrow later.
* In the ambush sequence, Roger's first son comes and greets Godfrey 'uncle' before leaving. An additional shot is put back in, with a close-up of the horse crossing the river and Hospitaler hiding on the left flank of the horse. Also, there are two more shots added afterward: Godfrey chases Roger's first son, saying "Thank God for my brother's love!", and the second son is executed right after he demands the right to be held ransom.
* At the pilgrim's road, there is an extra line of the acolyte saying murder of an enemy and a reference to the Pope. Also, there is a new shot of Hospitaler visiting an old pilgrim.
* At the Messina port, the English sergeant tells Balian a little background information of the port.
* At Balian's house in Jerusalem, Hospitaler discusses about faith and that he does not put stock into religion, mentioning of fanatics using religion as the common cause of killing.
* The title card 'Office of The Marshal of Jerusalem' appears earlier.
* The infamous chess board scene between Balian and the king. The king orders Balian to safeguard the pilgrim road.
* The biggest addition to the film is the subplot of the boy king. Balian puts back the toy soldier and catches a glimpse of Sibylla's son.
* The next morning in Ibelin, we see Balian and Sibylla in bed, with him observing the Muslim servants performing their prayers. Balian sees the toy boat that was seen earlier and let it flow down the pipe again.
* Many new scenes appear right after the intermission. When the army leaves Kerak for Jerusalem, Guy exhibits a look of hatred at Balian. He has figured out that Sibylla was together with him.
* Guy practicing with his sword outside the king's chambers after an exchange between the king and the Patriach. After the patriarch leaves Guy, he seduces a chambermaid.
* Reynald screams in his prison cell and the jailkeeper gets annoyed with the screaming.
* Sibylla sees Guy with her son and Guy forces her a deal of accepting his knights or her son's brief and bloody rule.
* Sibylla teaches her son about England and France. Whilst she is away, the boy places his palm on top of the fire lamp but feels no pain.
* Sibylla agrees to Guy's offer.
* The boy's coronation.
* A few new scenes follow the boy, including him signing documents. Some wax drops onto his hands, and Sibylla and the Patriach feel something is wrong as he felt no pain. She becomes horrified when the physicians reveal that her son too was a leper. After that, Tiberias and Sibylla argue over the rumor in the court about the boy. Finally, it is decided that she would take him to the palm orchard, where she forcefully euthanizes him while singing him to sleep.
* When Guy's army leaves for war with Saladin, there are additional lines in the exchange between Tiberias and Balian, referring to the boy's death and Jerusalem having gone with him.
* While supervising preparations for the defense of Jerusalem, Balian meets the gravedigger back in France and again right after he knights a big group of commoners.
* During the negotiation of terms between Balian and Saladin, an extra line is put back, said by Saladin: "As for your king, I leave it up to you."
* The final duel between Balian and Guy, with Guy beaten into submission.
* When Balian arrives back in France, he sees the planted tree fully grown with flowers blooming.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I saw the edited version, it was pretty lame. I want my 2+ hours back :( I had a hard time caring about the characters...there didn't feel like there was much reason for him to be doing any of the things he was doing. It was pretty cool when he threw the priest in the fire at his blacksmith shop though :D

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
I skipped the original version because I didn't even hear about it. I did buy the extended cut on DVD after hearing a ton good reviews about it, and I loved it. After watching it a few times now, I still can't see how they could cut out everything about Sibylla's son. I even watched ALL of the extras on all four DVDs. That's how much I liked it and the extras were pretty informative. It was really interesting how they basically created the entire ship sinking scene in post because they didn't want to spend the money to film it.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I have yet to see the director's cut but heard it makes the movie awesome compared to the average theatrical release.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
I have yet to see the director's cut but heard it makes the movie awesome compared to the average theatrical release.

It made the movie completely different for me.

I remember getting out of the movie theater and thought that the movie was 'okay.'

Saw the director's DVD and I was like 'whoa!'

mrkun

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2005
Huh, I got Kingdom of Heaven from Netflix about two months ago and it was just the theatrical release. I feel like I got cheated.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: HombrePequeno
I never saw it in theaters but when I saw it on DVD, I was bored to tears.

No sh!t. That movie sucked ass. I wasted 1hr of my life with that movie. Why only 1hr? Because that's how long it took for me to come to my senses and shut the movie off. Wow! Awful.