King Fast SSDs

Deontologist

Banned
Dec 13, 2014
I need a cheap SSD to plug into a netbook.

I could care less about size; as long as it fits Windows 10 I'm good (so about 32 GB).

I've been eyeing some "King Fast" SSDs on eBay for about 30 bucks; are these any good? Any experiences with these? Anyone know what kind of NAND they use; what controllers, etc.?

Hell, would you trust any Chinese SSD from eBay? Even for a light-duty netbook?

Last edited:

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
I wouldn't. I'd get a Sandisk U110 (slow, but solid, the 32GB version is sold as the ReadyCache) or Ultra Plus (X110 is the same), or maybe a Corsair Force LS ($45 right now for the 60GB).

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I wouldn't trust any knock-off electronics from eBay... China or otherwise. If you are smart enough to ask questions about NAND, controllers and how reliable they are... you need to go elsewhere. Cerb threw out some good suggestions.... find something from a known supplier. Personally, I wouldn't go anything smaller than 60GB, even for a limited install like you describe.

Deontologist

Banned
Dec 13, 2014
I wouldn't. I'd get a Sandisk U110 (slow, but solid, the 32GB version is sold as the ReadyCache) or Ultra Plus (X110 is the same), or maybe a Corsair Force LS ($45 right now for the 60GB).

I got a Sandisk U100 in the end.

I brought it before I read about just how horrible random 4k writes are. Other than that it seems that it will be a HUGE step up from the usual 160 GB HDD in netbooks.

Will this be noticeable on a netbook? I plan on making a small RAM drive - maybe 256 MB - with the 2 GB of memory in the netbook.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
The U100 and U110 are pretty slow. But, they still beat HDDs, and they are very reliable, IME (you may notice they are popular for *n*x appliances, for example).

Deontologist

Banned
Dec 13, 2014
The U100 and U110 are pretty slow. But, they still beat HDDs, and they are very reliable, IME (you may notice they are popular for *n*x appliances, for example).

Oops. Sorry, I had actually purchased a SanDisk Ready Cache SSD which I know can be formatted and used as a regular SSD.

This one has 4k write speeds in the 10 Mbps range ... an order of magnitude better than the U100 (~1 Mbps). Hopefully this will be acceptable ...