King/ Dictator Obama strikes again. Rewrites Obamacare

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Get Merriam-Webster to change it's definition to "total" control then. Seems like that's the only way you are going to be happy. Like I said, call it whatever you want, it's still the largest piece of legislation ever written by our government aimed at one industry.

That's not necessary, their definition is fine. 'Control' itself has many meanings, a bunch of which I linked to you earlier. One of those easily fits the definition of 'regulate' and a different one fits 'nationalization' well also.

I don't know why you won't answer that question though. Is it that:

1.) Your understanding of their definition is wrong.
2.) Their definition is wrong.
3.) Both are correct and if a business is regulated that means it has been nationalized.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Remarkable how the OP can derail his own thread into an obtuse discussion of what "Nationalization" really means.

Oh, and the ACA makes us just like Soviet Russia, where the Evil Obama and his minions will wreak death & destruction on us all, starting with the billionaires who pay for the propaganda machine holding millions of teahadis in thrall.

Not really. I'm sure those billionaires will still do rather nicely, being billionaires & all, even if their social & political agenda is thwarted. Outcomes for their followers are less certain.

noobsrevenge

Oct 14, 2012
Get Merriam-Webster to change it's definition to "total" control then. Seems like that's the only way you are going to be happy. Like I said, call it whatever you want, it's still the largest piece of legislation ever written by our government aimed at one industry.

a) its sad you had to look up words in a dictionary to try and make your point
b) you do not know how to read definitions correctly
c) you cannot choose one word out of the definition, use it out of context and look up that word, making a word trail of definitions to try to prove your point.

all in all, its pathetic.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
"President Obama's Top 10 Constitutional Violations Of 2013"

One of Barack Obama’s chief accomplishments has been to return the Constitution to a central place in our public discourse.Unfortunately, the president fomented this upswing in civic interest not by talking up the constitutional aspects of his policy agenda, but by blatantly violating the strictures of our founding document. And he’s been most frustrated with the separation of powers, which doesn’t allow him to “fundamentally transform” the country without congressional acquiescence.

But that hasn’t stopped him. In its first term, the Administration launched a “We Can’t Wait” initiative, with senior aide Dan Pfeiffer explaining that “when Congress won’t act, this president will.” And earlier this year, President Obama said in announcing his new economic plans that “I will not allow gridlock, or inaction, or willful indifference to get in our way.”

1. Delay of Obamacare’s out-of-pocket caps. The Labor Department announced in February that it was delaying for a year the part of the healthcare law that limits how much people have to spend on their own insurance. This may have been sensible—insurers and employers need time to comply with rapidly changing regulations—but changing the law requires actual legislation.

2. Delay of Obamacare’s employer mandate. The administration announced via blogpost on the eve of the July 4 holiday that it was delaying the requirement that employers of at least 50 people provide complying insurance or pay a fine. This time it did cite statutory authority, but the cited provisions allow the delay of certain reporting requirements, not of the mandate itself.

3. Delay of Obamacare’s insurance requirements. The famous pledge that “if you like your plan, you can keep it” backfired when insurance companies started cancelling millions of plans that didn’t comply with Obamacare’s requirements. President Obama called a press conference last month to proclaim that people could continue buying non-complying plans in 2014—despite Obamacare’s explicit language to the contrary. He then refused to consider a House-passed bill that would’ve made this action legal.
4. Exemption of Congress from Obamacare. A little-known part of Obamacare requires Congressmen and their staff to get insurance through the new healthcare exchanges, rather than a taxpayer-funded program. In the quiet of August, President Obama directed the Office of Personnel Management to interpret the law to maintain the generous congressional benefits.

5. Expansion of the employer mandate penalty through IRS regulation. Obamacare grants tax credits to people whose employers don’t provide coverage if they buy a plan “through an Exchange established by the State”—and then fines employers for each employee receiving such a subsidy. No tax credits are authorized for residents of states where the exchanges are established by the federal government, as an incentive for states to create exchanges themselves. Because so few (16) states did, however, the IRS issued a rule ignoring that plain text and allowed subsidies (and commensurate fines) for plans coming from “a State Exchange, regional Exchange, subsidiary Exchange, and federally-facilitated Exchange.”

6. Political profiling by the IRS. After seeing a rise in the number of applications for tax-exempt status, the IRS in 2010 compiled a “be on the lookout” (“BOLO”) list to identify organizations engaged in political activities. The list included words such as “Tea Party,” “Patriots,” and “Israel”; subjects such as government spending, debt, or taxes; and activities such as criticizing the government, educating about the Constitution, or challenging Obamacare. The targeting continued through May of this year.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

There will be no answer on this. I have to say that the (now twice repeated) argument that regulation = nationalization due to the inability to read a dictionary is one of the dumbest things I've seen on here, and that's saying a lot.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
a) its sad you had to look up words in a dictionary to try and make your point
b) you do not know how to read definitions correctly
c) you cannot choose one word out of the definition, use it out of context and look up that word, making a word trail of definitions to try to prove your point.

all in all, its pathetic.

Ya, those definitions sure are a bitch aren't they. Using facts over truthiness, I should be ashamed of myself.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Matt1970, please come back and teach us how to use a dictionary. The sky has quickly become confusing to me.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Matt1970, please come back and teach us how to use a dictionary. The sky has quickly become confusing to me.

It's real easy. Read the definition. Understand the definition for what it means, not what you think it means.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It's real easy. Read the definition. Understand the definition for what it means, not what you think it means.

So why did the sky become a legal claim to blue? When a word in a definition has multiple meanings how am I supposed to know which one is the 'one it means'?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
So why did the sky become a legal claim to blue? When a word in a definition has multiple meanings how am I supposed to know which one is the 'one it means'?

You seem to be pretty good at picking one and dismissing the others.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You seem to be pretty good at picking one and dismissing the others.

Uhmm, that's exactly what you have been doing.

Again, how did you select the 'right' definition? How did you know which one it meant? This is very illuminating.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I think this is great.

We have a winner!

All we need to do is have faith and believe.

I agree! Very misleading.

The good news is that even today in the NYT Republicans are admitting that so many people will be seeing the benefits of the ACA in the new year that it's going to be impossible to repeal as it will simply be helping too many.

I'm sure this good news will warm your heart.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I agree! Very misleading.

The good news is that even today in the NYT Republicans are admitting that so many people will be seeing the benefits of the ACA in the new year that it's going to be impossible to repeal as it will simply be helping too many.

I'm sure this good news will warm your heart.

Many people will see benefits. You and Obama and the rest disregarded those who wouldn't though, but it's best that limited partisan minds could come up with.

So tell me, how many people have obtained insurance which could not before?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Many people will see benefits. You and Obama and the rest disregarded those who wouldn't though, but it's best that limited partisan minds could come up with.

So tell me, how many people have obtained insurance which could not before?

Unclear at this point, we will have better numbers in the new year.

I just thought it would make you happy to know that so many were being helped.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Oh, and this is just the start. In the not so distant future we will be able to do even more. Talk about a Christmas miracle, huh??

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Oh, and this is just the start. In the not so distant future we will be able to do even more. Talk about a Christmas miracle, huh??

It's funny you should describe it that way.

Samuel Johnson said something on a different topic, but it fits especially well with Bumblecare.

It's
like a dog's walking on his hind legs. It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all."
Boswell: Life