Kinda OT, but does anyone know where to get racks, i.e. for rackmount equipment

Ben

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm looking for a rack for my APC's, amps, switch, and a rack-mount computer case. I looked at some cases for audio equipment and they aren't deep enough for the APC's, the APC's are 24" deep. Also, the APC's need a rear mounting rail.

So far I can only find the taller-than-me floor mounted style racks for the low-low price of $500.

I was looking for something smaller and more portable (and hopefully cheaper).

Ben

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
what area are you in, I just bought customize one from
APW Wrightline

or
Wrightline

Buying it direct... did a customized with lots of stuff for 1600 and delivery is 200 (removing old junk,etc. )... dunno if you want big stuff like that.. but anyway, if it looks good, i'll get you a local number based on your location that you can talk to..

Ben

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for the help.

I'll check out those links ASAP. $1600? That's way more than I wanted to spend. :)

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
I got fully removable panels, sides, tops, trays, lots of screws, bullet proof doors (just kidding).. They have smaller units but almost everywhere has smaller units.. I went for quality easily transported.. that was an enclosures not a rack. They define rack as two poles holding up trays.

Ben

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
So if I need the rear supports and the extra depth, then I'm actually looking for an enclosure, not a rack?

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Yeah they call it a enclosure, see I was calling these people and asking for a rack and i felt so stoopid because thats what we call it not enclosures...

flot

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Ben I'm in the same boat as you. Got a rack mount UPS and a rack mount switch and would like to move up to some rm cases... but I can't find a rack I can afford. I'm looking for something maybe 2-3 feet tall that looks decent that'll hold some gear... let me know if you have any luck.

Ben

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
When I started my shearch, what I had in mind was an equipment case for audio gear. Probably the same thing you are thinking of flot. But none of them are deep enough. The APC's and the server case are 24" deep. Plus the APC's need a rear mount. None of the Pro Audio cases have a rear mount.

If you start looking at enclosures, they can get pretty expensive. Plus, their not very portable. You can get them with wheels but you'd play hell getting those things in your pickup.

There are simple 4-post racks which are less money but they are still pretty expensive for what they offer.

It's looking like I'm going to be making my own out of wood or steel. :( I didn't really want to, but I guess that's the only way I'm going to afford what I want.

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Dude, warehouse.com has a Maytrix Standard cabinet, 24"Wx30D" 75"height for 759, they should have smaller units. take a look, search for Maytrix

Ben

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I found them. Maytrix is made by Mayline (or so it seems). I can't find any smaller ones, but they have bigger ones!

Thanks for the help. I'll keep looking for a smaller one somewhere.

Ben

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Still nothing like I wanted.

I'm either going to have to part with $800 or I'm going to have to build one myself.

The latter idea sounds better and better. ProSound has vented covers, corner protectors, handles, hinges, carpet, and more. I'll make it out of thick fiberboard or plywood so I can abuse it a little.

I plan to make it tall enough for 28 spaces. I'll need 23 within the next 6 months. Plus, I want a little room to grow and a couple spaces between the amps for vented covers.

Dyre

Jan 16, 2000
I was in a studio and a guy had a small rack (about 8U i think) on wheels that he wheeled around the studio... It was pretty cool, and looked like it could hold computer quipment. Only problem, i couldnt find anything like it to buy....

ASK THE COMMUNITY