Kim Kardashian robbed at gunpoint; more than $10M in jewelry stolen

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
mzzNa.gif

KT

Reactions: MongGrel

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I'd assume that most of that jewelry, and definitely the $4M ring, are all custom. Gotta be really hard to sell that without getting caught. Not to mention that store value that's being listed and even the legit resale value is probably 50%, add to that they are stolen. I wonder what they are worth on the street selling them reasonably quick in the safest, non likeliest way to get caught is?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Yea, thing is even with high-end jewellery you can NEVER sell it for anywhere close to what you paid for it so in that scenario you're better off having it stolen.

That is the thing with virtually all jewelry, especially diamonds. They are worth about 50% of what you paid the moment you walk out of the store.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
She was at a fashion show which means much of that jewelry was probably not even hers. Many celebrities are given jewelery and clothes to use during shows

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
She was at a fashion show which means much of that jewelry was probably not even hers. Many celebrities are given jewelery and clothes to use during shows

In those circumstances jewelry of that value is accompanied by several armed guard and returned immediately after the show, awards ceremony or photo op. Nobody hands over $10 million of jewelry and then lets the borrower disappear with a promise to come back later.

Reactions: MongGrel

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Kim Kardashian’s insurance claim reveals value of jewelry stolen in Paris robbery

Insurance documents state that the 13 items taken from the reality TV star – when she was tied up and robbed at gunpoint in Paris – are worth roughly $5.6 million, not $10 million as previously speculated, TMZ reported.
Her new 20-karat Lorraine Schwartz emerald cut diamond engagement ring is valued at $4 million in the claim, making up a big chunk of those millions, according to documents obtained by the gossip site.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

That was not the case, and still looks like a insider insurance scam to me.

People loaning out high end jewelry are smarter than that.

Reactions: GagHalfrunt

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Is this standard operating procedure for the French police? An alleged crime so high profile and I haven't seen a press conference or anything from the French police.

And almost a week later and not a single camera image of the suspects? There was word about a camera catching an image of the robbers in a mirror.

Is the story still that they got away on bikes? Multi-million dollar theft and the getaway vehicles were the French version of Citi bikes?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I'd assume that most of that jewelry, and definitely the $4M ring, are all custom. Gotta be really hard to sell that without getting caught. Not to mention that store value that's being listed and even the legit resale value is probably 50%, add to that they are stolen. I wonder what they are worth on the street selling them reasonably quick in the safest, non likeliest way to get caught is?
Sis owns a jewelry store...400% markup. I imagine KK would have paid 600%.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Newsflash, I doubt posting here will give boost her ratings radically.
People like her stay relevant from keeping in the minds of people, staying relevant. Stop talking about them then they eventually go away. Me personally I don't care that they are so rich. It doesn't affect me but I just find it funny that people complain about them yet give them the very thing they need that makes them money.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Yet you care enough to post which is exactly what gets them more exposure aka more money.

hardly. I've never watched a second of her tv show, never seen a second of her on youtube, never even look at the tabloid covers with her on it.

Kim Kardashian being eaten by cannibals though would have gotten me to care.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Sis owns a jewelry store...400% markup. I imagine KK would have paid 600%.

Oh I am sure. I always laugh around holidays when you hear the ads on radio/TV of jewelry stores selling everything for half off. Any business that can profitably sell all of it's inventory at 50% off during their busiest times has some absurd markups.