KILLER fishing trip this weekend

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
One of my customers is also a charter boat captain, and invited me to go fishing Saturday in Cape Coral, FL.

Got out on the water about 6:00AM (VERY tired) - cast netted a bunch of bait and set off for our "spot".

There was 3 of us, and we caught a total of 17 large Red Drum (Redfish), the biggest one was ~12lbs and 32" long. AMAZING fight, and tons of fun on small tackle. The largest you can keep is 27", 1 per person, per boat, so we kept the 3 largest < 27". I caught ~10 of the reds, but Jeff caught the whopper. (Yes, I know we broke the law pulling the snook out of the water and taking a pic - the fish was out of the water for no more than 1 minute)

My arms and legs are killing me today. :p

One guy Jeff caught 2 Snook, they fight like hell too. He had one hit, while we don't know what it was, the captain guesses it was a large Cobia, Tarpon, or a shark - whatever it was, it took the bait and spooled off about 50 yards of line, We started getting ready to chase it, but it snapped the line. :(

Amazing, since we were only in about 4' of water.

The coolest part for me was when I was reeling i one of the huge Reds, and 2 dolphins started heading straight for the boat, Jaws-style, fins out, VERY fast. The captain said that dolphins will wait for the catch to be released, then eat the tired fish. We had dolphins feeding around us, they were eating on mullet.

We pulled up to go get lunch, and Captain Mike decided to weave through some amazing mangrove areas at about 35MPH, that was cool!

All in all - an AMAZING day.

Pics:
http://ihadav8.com/gallery/FishingTrip0807
(I'm in the last pic, on the right)

If you are in central/southwest FL and want to have a killer fishing trip - look up my bud Capt. Mike.
http://www.micro-fishcharters.com/

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
lol, sounds like you guys had a good time :)

I was actually about 14 miles off Sarasota fishing some reefs for Grouper and the like Saturday morning as well...

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: aphex
lol, sounds like you guys had a good time :)

I was actually about 14 miles off Sarasota fishing some reefs for Grouper and the like Saturday morning as well...

Have any luck?

This is the first time I have gone flats fishing - it was amazing!

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Nice. Hope to go to Florida for some fishing one day. Those are some awesome fish.
I'm going on a 5 day Mexico fishing trip aboard the Shogun out of San Diego in a few days. We'll be targeting White sea bass, Tuna(Albacore, Yellow fin, Blue fin), YellowTail, Grouper, Halibut etc.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Marinski
Florida fishing is awesome. I caught a bunch of sea trout wading out when I was down there.

I;m somewhat ashamed I have lived here sos long and not experienced flats fishing - I always thought you had to go offshore to get a good fight and big fish.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: buck
Brings back old memories of fishing Sebastian Inlet.

What did you catch there? I am *hooked* on flats fishing now, and want to know ALL of the details. :)

Marinski

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2006
classicboxingfights.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: SuperSix
Originally posted by: Marinski
Florida fishing is awesome. I caught a bunch of sea trout wading out when I was down there.

I;m somewhat ashamed I have lived here sos long and not experienced flats fishing - I always thought you had to go offshore to get a good fight and big fish.

This book tells you a bunch of places you can fish from the shore. There is a revised version of the book by the same author, which is probably alot different. The original is dated and the last time I fished down there was 7 years ago so the places in that book are probably differnt.