Kill-A-Watt P4400 $16 shipped AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
still trying to muster the courage to buy one. its just really hard to spend money just to potentially save money.

Cr0nJ0b

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2004
meettomy.site
I'm still shocked that the electric company doesn't just buy a bunch of these and loan them out to customers for free. It would be a great education campaign, and I have to believe that in bulk they could buy them for less than $10 each.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
why would electric companies want people to conserve energy? i mean surely in the summer and in dire times its necessary, but otherwise they dont make money by keeping meters spinning slow.

furthermore, smartgid is coming. its going to be a heavy revamp of our electrical system. all of our houses will have digital meters on them, and eventually all of our electrical panels will be digitally controlled with internet connectivity. we all will be able to simply go to a webpage, look at what every circuit in our house is doing, and even be able to shut off whatever circuits we want remotely.

but all of this will only help customers consequentially. this is really for the electric companies to get every last dollar out of customers, and also to have total control in times they see fit. summer brownouts? no more, you just get shut off completely, while your neighbor who has kids or whatever doesnt. estimated bills? no more, you pay for every last electron you use (which might be a good thing). doing 6 loads of laundry a day? make sure you leave the door open for the swat team when they come looking for illegal activity based off your electric usage.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
haha yea i laughed at Cr0nj0b too.. all houses around here do have digital meters already from like 10 years ago...

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
I bought one of these at newegg awhile ago for $17 just so I could see how many watts my computer pulls, which could help someone save on that next power supply purchase. Was also very interesting to see how much power my TV, AV Receiver, and game consoles use.

It could be used to save money, but for me it was mostly just educational.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
still trying to muster the courage to buy one. its just really hard to spend money just to potentially save money.

Depending on how wasteful some of your home devices may be, it could save you hundreds a year.
Thats why we got a digital thermostat for the house. It cuts the AC automatically when we are gone or its not truly needed. Cost 200 bucks but saved us 200 the first year. From now on its free savings.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Yeah, I love the programmable digital thermostat that my condo came with. Don't know how I got along without one before.

cardiac

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have 2 of them. One I keep in our camper so that I can check the voltage at the campgrounds we stay at. You'd be surprised how low the voltage can go :) Too low and it starts ruining your electronics that need 117 volts.... Saved me a buttload of cash....

datobin1

Dec 14, 2005
I bought one of these a while back,

Very handy to find out how much power each device is consuming. Some devices I found out that it isn't worth worry about if there on or not since they consume so little power but other devices are just the opposite such as my receiver.

Also helps pick out computers that I use for mythtv frontends. The atom/ nvdia Ions are great for this. I have a foxconn nettop that idles around 20watts and under use about 30watts.

If you get into power monitoring you may also want to pickup on of the black and decker power meter tools
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-E.../dp/B001ELJKLE

The B&D is not accurate enough for small devices but great for monitoring Dyers, A/C and other major appliances. It is also handy to have around just to be able to check to make sure nothing was left on.

Status
Not open for further replies.