Kids and TV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Get yourself They Might Be Giant's "Here Come the ABCs" and "Here Come the 123s" on DVD.
Non-conventional, but educational, and the songs don't drive one insane the way so many kid's product songs can.

Incidentally, these are played on Playhouse Disney now. They're also responsible for the theme songs for some Disney Shows like Higgley Town Heroes.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse too. They're entrenched in Playhouse Disney now.
Zeroooooossssss... Zeros! Zeros mean so much!

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Homerboy
we have a 4 and 6 yr old... honestly as long as the TV is moderated and your conscience of what you are putting on for them I don't see a problem. Nearly every damned show is educational in today's age. I have no problems with letting our kids watch TV. They watch in the morning when they first wake up, after school and at night to wind down.

They know 10xs the amount I knew at their age and lots of it coming from watching educational shows on TV I'm sure (though I'd imagine they get a good portion of their smarts from school and from us working with them on "projects" too).

Edit: My 6yr old is just enamored with nature shows too. Stuff from discovery channel, walking with dinosaurs, "how the earth was formed", dirty jobs (a 6yr old and "Poop Jobs"? That just goes hand in hand), Spongebob (ok he needs to laugh too... no education there), and his #1 is ANYTHING basketball related.
:thumbsup:

my 11 y/o son watches tv alot, even if it's in the background. he loves dirty jobs, mythbusters, the military channel and basically anything to do with history or new tech. he is one of the "team leaders" at school, which basically means he helps other kids when he's done with his work. he's a smart little guy and a while lot more worldly than i was at his age (though i read newspapers and books all the time at his age).

i don't think tv is a bad thing for children at all, but as said, it should be age appropriate and educational, (mostly :p).

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
My 5 year old gets way into TV and would watch it all day and night until he died of dehydration. We have to limit his TV time, plus he also needs to earn his TV time by having a great day at school, doing a chore, etc.

Our daughter is almost 4 and she likes TV but if we don't let her watch any it's not a big deal to her.

All in all they probably watch an hour a day on average.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Ok, I'll tell you what we do, because you asked us to wigh in. I'm not out to defend my own choices or judge others for theirs.

We have a limited media household and don't allow any commercial media (with the exception of a few a magazines). We don't have television service, we watch videos if at all. We watch no television on days before schooldays, and television is limited to a couple hours max on TV days.
My 3 year old will ask if it's a TV day, sometimes she'll whine if it's not, and sometimes there are exceptions for everybody (sick days for the older girls, research papers due so a distraction is needed) We're not dogmatic about it, but it has had such an extreme effect on the way we live our lives that we would rather watch as little TV as possible. We send our kids to a Waldorf school where limited media is the norm, no TV talk or character paraphenalia (clothes, shoes, backpacks, etc.) are allowed in school (though there are occasional exceptions).

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: djheater
Ok, I'll tell you what we do, because you asked us to wigh in. I'm not out to defend my own choices or judge others for theirs.

We have a limited media household and don't allow any commercial media (with the exception of a few a magazines). We don't have television service, we watch videos if at all. We watch no television on days before schooldays, and television is limited to a couple hours max on TV days.
My 3 year old will ask if it's a TV day, sometimes she'll whine if it's not, and sometimes there are exceptions for everybody (sick days for the older girls, research papers due so a distraction is needed) We're not dogmatic about it, but it has had such an extreme effect on the way we live our lives that we would rather watch as little TV as possible. We send our kids to a Waldorf school where limited media is the norm, no TV talk or character paraphenalia (clothes, shoes, backpacks, etc.) are allowed in school (though there are occasional exceptions).

Sounds good to me. I have no issues with people limiting like that.

though I do have to point out you're a lifer with over 13,000 posts. HORRIBLE EXAMPLE! :)

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Get yourself They Might Be Giant's "Here Come the ABCs" and "Here Come the 123s" on DVD.
Non-conventional, but educational, and the songs don't drive one insane the way so many kid's product songs can.

oh no?

e eats everything....yeah, e eats everything
fake believe, fake believe, fake believe, f is for fake believe
at the alphabet lost and found, at the alphabet lost and found

ok not as bad as backyardigans, but i get alphabet lost and found stuck in my head for hours at a time

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: SpunkyJones
Originally posted by: Madwand1
When you've memorized some of the songs and they run through your head all day at work -- then it's time to get a babysitter who can read.

QFT. I can't get "Fruit Salad" out of my head today. :(

hot potatoe hot potatoe...

my almost 4 year old son is addicted to tv... I get pissed off and pull the plug, literally.