Kids And Beepers: "Majority" Disapproves?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bUnMaNGo

Feb 9, 2000
bUnMaNGo, wake up and quit trying to justify your status symbol so you can show it off to your buddies.

For some reason, I'm beginning to feel that this is starting to become some sort of personal attack on me. Not once I didn't mention anything about my "social status". I was merely stating my opinion on the subject, and justifiying my reasoning. You don't even know who I am, so I don't see how you are in any position to make a statement about me like that. Seriously man, you have no right saying that about me. However I'm not going to turn this thread into a flame and get it locked just because of one absurd statement. Have a good night.

Finality

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Beepers are oldschool its all about the mobiles :D.

Of course WAP devices are next.

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Haha beepers are actually old. everyone's got a cell. luckily i left high school just before cells really hit the market so i was just used to beepers going off and not the ringing of cell phones. I think kids should be able to bring pagers and cellphones to school as long as the pagers are left on vibrate mode in class and cell phones are also either left on vibrate mode or are turned off.

Bobsteroo

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2000
I'm a divorced dad of 4 kids with shared custody. All my kids have pagers! It sure helps keepin track of them :)

My youngest took hers to school in her backpack..it wasn't on the teach just saw it. Well she took it and try to tell my girl she could have it at the end of the year. Needless to say I was at the school that day!

Their thought? It could be used for drug transactions.
Apperently they thought my 8 year old girl could be part of some cartel. How FSCKIN retarded can you get?

Bleeding Jawa

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
Bob, if yor sweet 8yr old daughter is allowed to bring a beeper or cell phone, then the drug dealers are allowed to bring beepers & cell phones. It's as simple as that.

Yes there ARE good kids that can handle having them, but schools are NOT allowed to discriminate. In order to keep these things out of the hands of the dangerous kids, the others must leave theirs behind as well. I don't think that this is too much to ask in order to make schools safer.

BTW...at the school I work for--one of the worst drug dealers that we had last year has a mother AND a father who are lawyers. They didn't give a Rat's *SS that their kid was dealing drugs, but when their kid was treated "differently," you better believe that they were "at the school that day!"

Unfortunately, parents (and even some of the kids) don't realize what schools are REALLY like these days. As a teacher, my FIRST job is security & safety. My SECOND job is usually discipline (typically, this necessity stems from a LACK of discipline at home). And my THIRD job is actually teaching. I personally graduated from high school only 10 years ago, but let me tell you...things have changed a LOT in 10 years!!!!

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
ShortBus,
That's not a very good backup of your response. What about emergencies? Wouldn't beepers come in handy? What if the parents are being delayed and need to tell the children? Beepers hare very handy, in my opinion. Besides, you are a "Member" your views do not matter! :) I rule you! Mwahhaha ::Josh recognizes he is ruled by elite and moderator status members::

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I think kids should be allowed to carry them to school, but not use them. I find them to be just plain annoying when they go off in the middle of ANYPLACE, let alone a classroom.

Who cares about phones/beepers anyways...I find them to be a nuisance in general. The only people who call me anymore are telemarketers. If it weren't for the occasional take-out food order I would just as soon throw mine away.

DarkKnight113

Feb 4, 2000
Ok, for all of you who think that kids shouldn't be allowed to carry beepers/cell phones, listen up. I am 16 myself and in high school. I am also one of the "smart" kids (you know the type). Yes, many people carry beepers and cell phones as a status symbol. But they do have their uses for kids! Imagine yourself in this scenario. You are 16 and are still an inexperienced driver. You are driving to/from school, and are taking your younger sibling with you. Along the way, some idiot pulls out in front of you, but you are not quick enough to react, and have a relatively severe accident. Your younger brother or sister is injured, but you cannot get to a pay phone to call for help. What if your brother or sister had a concussion or broken bones and couldn't move? What if they needed immediate medical attention? A cell phone sure would come in handy then wouldn't it?! In case you haven't noticed, teenagers are the most at risk group for having accidents. I think that benefits such as this and events like the Columbine incident outweigh a few minor distractions during class. You can always stop kids from USING beepers and cell phones in class! That doesn't mean you have to take it away from them! And like Bobsteroo said, they are useful to parents too. My parents were the ones who first presented the idea of me getting a cell phone! We use that family plan. That way, whenever we call each other's cell phones or call home, the call is free. Sure helps parents get ahold of their kids, don't it?

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I agree with Napalm381. I don't care who does, or does not carry a cellphone/pager whatever, so long as they do not use it during school hours or in the classroom. If they do, they'd better have a damn good reason, or be suspended. That would keep the classes from getting disrupted, without taking away the pupil's rights to carry whatever communications device they want.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
My take on the topic alone?

Kids really do not need beepers. Only once or twice should a beeper is used for important messages from parents. Other than that, they are just an extra thing to carry around. Plus, if there are many useless calls during the day for high school students, it can be quite bothersome. Try an answering machine for that job.

But for some people, emergencies and important sporadic messages come often then beepers may serve a purpose. But then again, the parent could call through the school office and relay the message to the student.

I believe that these things are another thing to carry, a distraction, and not practical for a grade level student.

Psychoholic

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999

<< Besides, you are a &quot;Member&quot; your views do not matter! I rule you! Mwahhaha >>

&quot;That's not a very good backup of your response&quot;, joshpokeball. Would you like for me to provide links to the neffing threads you aquired your senior status with?? It just goes to show that anyone can post anything and aquire Senior Status. Number of posts don't mean jack-shit. I know plently of members many times more knowledgeable than you than have less than 200 posts.

<< I think that benefits such as this and events like the Columbine incident outweigh a few minor distractions during class. >>

The chance of one of those incidents happening is slim when compared to the number of classroom distractions in a day. Read one of my above posts where I've already stated that. What good is a beeper going to do during a Columbine-type incident? So why do they need beepers in class? Easy, they don't. As far as your cell phones and pagers go, leave them in your damn car. I don't care, I just don't want to see them in class. That way they will be in the car if you have a wreck, and my tax dollars aren't wasted teaching a classroom full of pager-wearing kids.

I'm sorry for being blunt, but any 16-year old kid who tells me he needs a pager is full of shit. I graduated in 1988, and all of my friends and myself seemed to survive without pagers. I think you will too.

Croton

Banned
Jan 18, 2000
If people survived for hundreds of years w/o pagers &amp; cell phones, then they can still survive w/o them.

I believe if kids want a pager/cell phone, they should pay for it themselves. I've had a cell phone since I was 17, and I've paid for it myself.

It's nice and all for kids to have those kinds of tools, but it's not a necessity....but that's just what I think.

Bobsteroo

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2000
Bleeding Jawa what a special way to treat kids...punish all for the behaivor of a few. In this day an age of divorced parents trying to be a part of their kids upbringing, any device that enables communication should be considered a good thing. You see I want to deal with my kids lapses in discipline before it gets to be a problem for you. But hell I'm just a single Dad tryin to be a part of my kids lives, what do I know.

Psychoholic

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999

<< You see I want to deal with my kids lapses in discipline before it gets to be a problem for you. >>

...and you believe, Bobsteroo, that your kids pager going off in class isn't a problem??? If that's the case you're a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

Bobsteroo

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2000
Psychoholic I have right to decide if my kids are mature enough to have a pager. My daughter carried it all year and it never went off in class once..the teacher just saw it. If wanting to send my girl a 1111 page in the morning or after school to let her know Dads thinking of her is a few fries short of your favorite dinner with your kids than so be it.

It's communication in one shape form or another for a detached family.
Perhaps if more people decided to communicate, assign responsibilities, and conduct their own corrective actions with their kids we wouldn't have all these problems in schools.

Psychoholic

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999

<< Psychoholic I have right to decide if my kids are mature enough to have a pager. >>

But do you have the right for your kid's pager to disturb others??? Do you have the right to interfere in the teacher's train of thought while he/she is teaching?? I don't care if you want to give your kids pagers. They just shouldn't bring them to school. If I was the teacher and it went off in my classroom, I would take the damn thing and break it.

Also bobsteroo, instead of communicating with your kids through a pager, why don't you try spending some &quot;real&quot; time with them??

Psychoholic

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999

<< Ok I give your an Idiot >>

That would be you're as in you are, not your as in a possession.

I'm an idiot why bobsteroo??
Because I don't put the toys of my kid above the rights of other students??
Because I don't put the toys of my kid above the right of the teacher to not be interrupted??
Because I spend time with my kid instead of buying them a pager??

Wake up and see who's the idiot bobsteroo. I sure as hell don't want anybody's kid disrupting class when my son is being taught. Why do you think you are given the right to?

Again bobsteroo,
But do you have the right for your kid's pager to disturb others??? Do you have the right to interfere in the teacher's train of thought while he/she is teaching??

Answer the question this time, instead of wussing out. I'm sure everyone here would love to know the fact that you put your kids toys above their child's education.

Bobsteroo

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2000
Psychoholic read my post moron..the pager has never gone off in class
I'm divorced I have shared custody of my kids, they go between my house an the ex's. We have codes letting the kids know whats up.
How you can leap from a my kids having a pager to not caring about their education?

One more time in case your hard in the head...my kids pagers have never gone off in school and I never recieved a complaint.

Perhaps attention span problems run in your family

Psychoholic

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
bobsteroo, so your kids are special and deserved to be treated differently than anyone else?

<< read my post moron >>

Read my post, bobsteroo. I never said you didn't care about your kids education, just the education of others.

<< my kids pagers have never gone off in school and I never recieved a complaint. >>

Good for you. If that's the case then why do they carry them at school?

<< Perhaps attention span problems run in your family >>

Perhaps denial runs in yours.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

<< Good for you. If that's the case then why do they carry them at school? >>

What happens if a parent needs to contact their kid after school? What good would the pager be doing at home? Tell me this, why should bobsteroo's child not carry a pager at school? It's not getting in the way at all.

One more thing:

<< I sure as hell don't want anybody's kid disrupting class when my son is being taught. >>

Believe me when I say that pagers are not the root of disruptions in the classroom. And even if a pager did go off in a classrooom, it would take a matter of seconds to take the pager away. Not that big of a deal now is it?

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Early post in this thread :

<< The $10/month I pay for it sure beats the $30/month for a 2nd phone line, IMO. >>

$10/month for a pager?? $30/month for a second phone line? WTF do you live? A phone line costs approximately $15/month Canadian here (Pager's can be anywhere from $5-20/month depending on the company and model).

-RSI

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Well maybe the school should have an alternative, like having MORE payphones and maybe they should make them free of charge. Just limit the pay phone calls to like 5 or 10 minutes and disable the ability to call outside of the area code and certain other numbers.

BLEEDING JAWA: So are you a teacher or a security professional at your school?