Kia EV9 electric SUV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
no, True Delta. They track real owner reports, probably a bit more accurate.
Sites like that or Edmunds, including owner forums, aren't quite reliable due to the biases involved. Your data is going to be a massive mixed bag of points that have no correlation with each other. All cars have had recalls, but it's crucial you understand the recall involved. Is it due to the company's own engineering? In this case, yes, but there were people dumb enough not long ago that would assume all cars were unreliable because of the Takeda airbag incident. In this case, these are Kia/Hyundai engineered engines and electronics platforms.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Going to go check out the Kia EV9 in person later this week. So far really liking how it looks in the videos I have seen.

Reactions: Kaido

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Kia reliability is in the top three in the US market now. It is impressive how much the Koreans have improved their product/process
Agreed it is better...but it's the long term that is still unknown. Granted, every car's long term reliability is arguably worse than it used to be because of all additional tech/features.
Sadly the days of buying a car and driving it for 20 years with minimal issues are likely long gone.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Dec 10, 2005
Agreed it is better...but it's the long term that is still unknown. Granted, every car's long term reliability is arguably worse than it used to be because of all additional tech/features.
Sadly the days of buying a car and driving it for 20 years with minimal issues are likely long gone.
I've seen plenty of older cars that sucked in terms of reliability. Seems like nostalgia goggles.

Reactions: pauldun170
Dec 10, 2005
Yet, about 2 months ago, we looked at a 2019 Kia Soul for a run-around-town car…my insurance company (State Farm) advise me that if I bought it…they wouldn’t insure it…too easy to steal.

Wasn't it only select models impacted (ie, ones without push button start)? Granted, that would still be a lot of cars that Kia/Hyundai decided to cheap out on when it came to basic anti-theft protection.

Dec 10, 2005
Older what? Peak Honda/Toyota was mid 90's to mid 2000's. Would buy one of those without hesitation.
Mainly Nissans and Fords. I will accept that there were select brand/models with superior reliability, I just don't think it was widespread to make it an axiom.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Wasn't it only select models impacted (ie, ones without push button start)? Granted, that would still be a lot of cars that Kia/Hyundai decided to cheap out on when it came to basic anti-theft protection.

Yes. Key start ignition cars. No immobilizer.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
For the past six years I have either driven a first year Niro or a first year Sorento Hybrid. 20k plus a year each year. Never a single problem with either one. Had the Niro for 3.5 years before trading it in for the Sorento. Sorento has almost 70k miles since Jan ‘21.

Both were Korean imports. Just like the first year or so of the EV9. If I were to buy an EV9 it would be from the first batch.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
The EV6 actually has pretty good incentives going this month. $7500 off for leases and $5000 off or very low APR through Kia for fiance(1.49% on a 60mon). They must also have another incentive running because a lot of the online pricing is 10-11k off all together. Now would be a pretty good time to move into one.