Keystoned? Exxon under fire as 10k barrels of oil spills on streets, floods Arkansas

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

superccs

Dec 29, 2004
60 year-old pipeline...it's bound to corrode at some point, TBH, just a matter of when, not if.

now, if exxon poorly managed the maintenance and lifing of said pipeline, that's another story.

They recently upped the pressure to increase the flow to increase the volume...

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Strike 1

Strike 2

That's strike 3

So basically what your links say is that because we are producing more oil and our infrastructure can't handle the extra capacity the price of oil from the mid west has been lower than elsewhere. To me that says if we remove those bottlenecks the prices will increase. Now add that to the fact that we are producing a lot more oil in the last few years and yet the price of oil has been at historical highs, tells me that more supply does not affect prices like it should in a typical supply versus demand market.

And most of your articles state that once the infrastructure alleviates the current capacity the prices in the mid west will be more in line with oil in other parts of the country as opposed to oil prices in other parts of the country lowering. Of course the benefit of that price increase is an increase of profit for those that get/store oil in the mid west.

So once again you have failed to prove how oil prices will be lowered (on fact you did the opposite) and I haven't see any other benefit to your average American.

So to recap;

We have an aging pipeline infrastructure problem with little incentive to fix it.
We have record high oil production and record high oil prices and record high profits.
We have a proposed pipeline that won't lower oil prices for Anericans.
We have an industry that doesn't follow the norms of supply and demand.
And other than higher profits for US companies we have no general benefits for Americans as whole.

Benefit: We would be a step closer to eliminating ME oil imports which allows us to bring our .mil in that area home instead of protecting our economies lifeblood as they currently are. You don't think there is some other reason that we give a shit about the ME do you?

The day we no longer need their oil is the day we flip the entire ME region the bird and tell them to figure their own shit out.

I guess that would be bad for the economy too though since it would reduce .mil expenses.... damn

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Benefit: We would be a step closer to eliminating ME oil imports which allows us to bring our .mil in that area home instead of protecting our economies lifeblood as they currently are. You don't think there is some other reason that we give a shit about the ME do you?

The day we no longer need their oil is the day we flip the entire ME region the bird and tell them to figure their own shit out.

I guess that would be bad for the economy too though since it would reduce .mil expenses.... damn

We don't need to be out of the Middle East to reduce our ME imports. We can leave amytime and nothing will change. We also export a lot of oil because its cheaper to do so.

Benefit not found.