Keyboard shortcut to maximize IE window?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
On my desktop it's not a big deal, but with my laptop it's harder to click the maximize button in the upper right corner. Isn't there a keyboard shortcut? TIA.

brikis98

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
a google search for "windows keyboard shortcut maximize" returns some useful results. however, i haven't found a particularly good solution for this function other than the one mentioned in the comments here. namely, if you push ALT + SPACEBAR, you see the menu for the window which lets you move, minimize, maximize, etc... so ALT + SPACEBAR + x maximizes, + n minimizes, etc. not too comfortable or fast, but better than nothing.

edit: incidentally, F11 is the full screen key (not exactly the same as maximize) in browsers (IE, firefox) and possibly other programs

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: brikis98
a google search for "windows keyboard shortcut maximize" returns some useful results. however, i haven't found a particularly good solution for this function other than the one mentioned in the comments here. namely, if you push ALT + SPACEBAR, you see the menu for the window which lets you move, minimize, maximize, etc... so ALT + SPACEBAR + x maximizes, + n minimizes, etc. not too comfortable or fast, but better than nothing.

edit: incidentally, F11 is the full screen key (not exactly the same as maximize) in browsers (IE, firefox) and possibly other programs

How is full screen different from Maximize? F11 appears to toggle Maximize <--> Not Maximized (minimize has nothing to do with it). That Alt+Spacebar is a good one, though, especially with a laptop. The more keyboard shortcuts I know the better.

I used to run a utility to automatically open all my IE windows (or any other application I configured it to work with) maximized. I decided it wasn't worth the trouble. There is a downside to running it, but I can't remember what it is offhand. I have it somewhere in my downloads area.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Full screen removes the toolbars, address bars etc and gives you just a clean fullscreen view of the page.

Maximize is just normal IE taking up the whole screen.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Smilin
Full screen removes the toolbars, address bars etc and gives you just a clean fullscreen view of the page.

Maximize is just normal IE taking up the whole screen.

Ah, thanks. On my desktop I never get full screen in IE. My new T60 laptop does it all the time, don't know why (the toolbars, etc. return if I put my mouse pointer at the top). Maybe it's a setting in the IE, maybe the fact that it came preloaded with IE 7 and I'm using IE 6 on my desktop. I'm not sure I'd want that on my desktop with it's 19" LCD, but with the 14.1" on my laptop, it's actually a nice feature.

Edit: What I didn't realize (and just did) was that F11 goes to Full Screen, not Maximize!

KenMar

Mar 7, 2015
1. Close all currently open IE windows.
2. Open a webpage. Stretch it out to FULLSIZE using the stretch arrows on IE borders. (Don't use maximise)
3. Choose any link on that webpage and right-click> "Open in a new window". (Don't open in new tab)
4. Stretch that 2nd window out to the FULLSIZE. (Don't use maximise)
5. Close the 1st IE window.
6. Then close that 2nd resized IE window.
7. Restart IE from any shortcut to verify windows are maximised/full screen

I'm currently using Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell 4.2.0 and above procedure is what worked for me.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Mandatory thread necro post:
wsl7b9.jpg

Lorne

Feb 5, 2001
Its hectic sometimes, I have this site which wants new threads all the time and Others that get mad when you start a new one before searching for an old/extreme necro one to continue.

Btw, I cant stop snickering at those two images.

Rowland

Mar 18, 2015
F11 - fullscreen toggle

Window key + arrow up - full screen
Window key + arrow down - resizes it back to where it was before the full screen