Question keyboard sharing, USB or ?

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
My wife and I both have two computers, or more on our desks, one work only, one personal only, but I don't need to share video, just keyboard for her and mouse as well for me, but either way with a small hub it would be switching a single USB connection between two PC's. Do they work, any issue with 5v coming from both PCs, or when a PC has the keyboard disconnected? I figure almost any solution is better than plugging and unplugging several times a day.

Something like this, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M66SD79/ref=emc_b_5_i or a cheaper ebay version.

I've used a little Belkin KVM in the past, but had it lock up one too many times at the same time as I stopped needing it routinely. Resisting another KVM due to cost, and seems like all future displays will have easy to use multiple inputs.

Reactions: SamirD

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
I used to have challenges like this all the time as I've had multiple systems since the 1990s, sometimes as many as 8. KVMs were built for this purpose, so that would be what I would recommend--just get another brand although I've never had any issue with my belkin one.

I've actually moved away from kvms, and you may be able to do the same if all the computers are on the same network. Allow remote desktop connections on your personal computers and then rdp into them from your work ones--now you don't have to have anything connected to your personal computers. Then you can use a simple 2-port kvm for switching between both work computers.

I current have about 20-40 systems at my disposal (depending on what I can turn on due to the heat), and I rdp to all of them via a windows 7 thin client. I can do this from anywhere in the house, so most of the systems are located far, far away.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
I was thinking a bit about mouse without borders, think that is what its called, and have used a software product before, but two users in our house have locked down secure systems that don't allow any software to be installed by the end user.

Issue with the KVM is video, not really needed with input switching easy, and we have 6 different connectors in common use, so costs more for stuff I don't need.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i've been using an iogear kvm (with built in cables) forever to do exactly what you want. i switch the mouse and keyboard with the kvm by double taping the print screen key, and switch the input on the monitor. had a ps/2 version of this same product for a long time with no problems, switched to USB over a decade ago and still using that one.

this one: https://www.iogear.com/product/GCS632UW6/

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
i've been using an iogear kvm (with built in cables) forever to do exactly what you want. i switch the mouse and keyboard with the kvm by double taping the print screen key, and switch the input on the monitor. had a ps/2 version of this same product for a long time with no problems, switched to USB over a decade ago and still using that one.

this one: https://www.iogear.com/product/GCS632UW6/
I've got several of these too still working. They're great for just a simple switch between two systems.