Keyboard (Music, that is) for a computer

thegreatjeff

Jun 14, 2000
I didn't know which board this should go in, and didn't want to transgress by posting in the wrong category, so it comes here. =)

Anyway, I wanna record music from a piano-type keyboard and burn it onto CDs. I have an SBLive sound card and a TDK 12.10.32 CDRW is on it's way. I want to be able to record in as many instruments as possible with this keyboard, yet I don't want to spend too much money, and I want the CD to sound good, too...any suggestions on something like this? Or am I wishing for way too much?

TIA,
Jeff

TonyT

Dec 30, 2000
How much money do you want to spend on the keyboard? After recording the music from the keyboard into the computer (using MIDI, I'm assuming), the sound quality of the instruments will depend on the soundfont you are using, not the actual keyboard; the way the instruments on the keyboard sound won't affect how the instruments on the computer sound. You could use a low priced MIDI keyboard without any sounds and still produce great sounding MIDI, provided you edit the instruments in your MIDI editing software and use a nice sounding soundfont.

Hope this helps.

thegreatjeff

Jun 14, 2000
Hmmm...could you get a decent one for $100? I'd prefer something more like a real piano, with touch sensitivity, and pedals (I play the piano). Maybe I'm estimating way too low?

TonyT

Dec 30, 2000
I'm pretty sure you're not going to be able to get a keyboard with touch sensitivity and pedals for that cheap. I know I spent probably $25 just on my sustain pedal, and most (if not all) $75 keyboards don't provide touch sensitivity. Sorry, but I don't think you'll be able to find what you're looking for at that price. :(

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Why is touch sensitivity important if you're just gonna record into your computer? Anyway, here's my musical/computer setup, I'm very happy with it:

Roland EM-10 Keyboard (yes, touch sensitivity, 61 keys)-apprx. $285
Midi Cables so I can plug it into my computer- apprx. $15 (I think)
MusicTime Deluxe Software, EXCELLENT!-$70

TOTAL: About $370

Oh yeah, and I also bought a stand for a couple bucks, but who cares about that.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Gunbuster

Thats the one I ordered and heard demonstrated at both comdex and CES. It had sustain,many voices and the software bundle to do just about everything I want to do. With the special offer CL had,I will get a blaster live 5.1 card with it for $99.00. I love to sing and will now try to compose. I think this is a good way to start.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I orderd at comdex also (for my sister who plays) got the balsterkey & mp3 5.1, still waiting for the plat 5.1