Keyboard advice

quackagator

Jul 1, 2002
My son plays World of Warcraft and I would like to get him a gaming keyboard for Christmas. He has a Mac mini. And I know squat about gaming. Any suggestions.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
You might want to take this to the Peripherals forums, the Mini can use almost any keyboard you hook up to it. Is he gaming in OS X or Windows?

Feb 25, 2011
30 Plays a lot

30?

Meh. Same age as me. If he has, like, a job 'n stuff, he probably already has a gaming keyboard he likes.

My dad gave up years ago - his last physical gift was a sausage basket in '04 - and just sends me Amazon gift codes now. I still love him. ;)

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
30?

Meh. Same age as me. If he has, like, a job 'n stuff, he probably already has a gaming keyboard he likes.

My dad gave up years ago - his last physical gift was a sausage basket in '04 - and just sends me Amazon gift codes now. I still love him. ;)

Sausage basket eh? Was he trying to tell you something?

Like maybe he thinks you enjoy delicious aged meats on crackers with cheese?

Feb 25, 2011
Sausage basket eh? Was he trying to tell you something?

Like maybe he thinks you enjoy delicious aged meats on crackers with cheese?

Nah. He bought like a bunch of them all at once. Their web site had free holiday shipping or something, so he just ordered one for everybody.

He still will usually send me a little care package with odds and ends (last year, I got a micrometer caliper and a keychain flashlight along with my gift card) but the vast majority of the financial emphasis is on the GC these days.

Last edited:

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Keyboard feel is rather subjective. Has he said anything about his current keyboard that he likes or dislikes? Also, some keyboards have backlighting making the keyboard easier to use in dark environments. Does his current keyboard have that? Then there is wireless vs wired. For something as simple as a keyboard, there is a lot to consider.

Speaking from my experience with my own parents trying to buy me tech related gifts, over time I gently steered them toward giving me gift certificates or just a check. I know that seems much less personal but it was just as appreciated from my point of view and much more practical.

-KeithP