Key anti-smoking treaty adopted

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
Originally posted by: Lucky
much lesser problem, since alcohol isn't physically addicting like cigarettes.

AHAHAHAHA!!! That's the funniest thing I've heard all day. Now I remember why I promised myself not to debate stupid people.

People develop a mental dependence on alcohol, not a physical addiction, dumbass. From December 02 to May 03, I did not have a single drink. I wasn't trying to quit either, I just never got around to drinking. This could not have happened with a physically addicting substance. How many smokers or herion addicts can simply forget to smoke/take drugs?

Are you serious? Do you really want to try to say that alcohol is not physically addicting? I'll kindly let you save face if you wish to retract that statement. ;)

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
much lesser problem, since alcohol isn't physically addicting like cigarettes.

AHAHAHAHA!!! That's the funniest thing I've heard all day. Now I remember why I promised myself not to debate stupid people.

People develop a mental dependence on alcohol, not a physical addiction, dumbass. From December 02 to May 03, I did not have a single drink. I wasn't trying to quit either, I just never got around to drinking. This could not have happened with a physically addicting substance. How many smokers or herion addicts can simply forget to smoke/take drugs?

Are you serious? Do you really want to try to say that alcohol is not physically addicting? I'll kindly let you save face if you wish to retract that statement. ;)

Erowid seems to be trusted around this place, so I will use it as a source:
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/alcohol/alcohol_info2.shtml

Psychological dependence on alcohol may occur with regular use of even relatively moderate daily amounts. It may also occur in people who consume alcohol only under certain conditions, such as before and during social occasions. This form of dependence refers to a craving for alcohol's psychological effects, although not necessarily in amounts that produce serious intoxication. For psychologically dependent drinkers, the lack of alcohol tends to make them anxious and, in some cases, panicky.
Physical dependence occurs in consistently heavy drinkers. Since their bodies have adapted to the presence of alcohol, they suffer withdrawal symptoms if they suddenly stop drinking. Withdrawal symptoms range from jumpiness, sleeplessness, sweating, and poor appetite, to tremors (the "shakes"), convulsions. hallucinations. and sometimes death.

it seems I was partially wrong, yet that doesn't change my original point - namely that smoking is more addicting than alcohol.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
it seems I was partially wrong, yet that doesn't change my original point - namely that smoking is more addicting than alcohol.

Is it easier to become addicted to nictotine that to cigarettes? Yes, probably. Nicotine dependence happens "earlier" than alcohol dependence. Which is more addicting once dependence has begun is debatable and there are plenty of statistics on both sides to justify one or the other being harder to quit.

However ; alcohol dependence causes far more social, behavioral, and personal problems.

You weren't partially wrong, you were wrong. Alcohol IS a physically addictive drug.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
You weren't partially wrong, you were wrong. Alcohol IS a physically addictive drug.

Yet, in far fewer cases than cigarettes.

The fact remains that measures are needed to protect people from tobacco companies and putting curbs on advertising is a good way to do that.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000

The fact remains that measures are needed to protect people from tobacco companies and putting curbs on advertising is a good way to do that.

"Protect" people? In every modern country the dangers of smoking are well-known; I dont need ANYBODY to "protect" me from them. I freely choose to smoke. A good case can be made that in many 3rd world countries education and awareness should be stepped up, but if you want to start outlawing tobacco advertising...might as well start outlawing them for alcohol and a host of other things. You'd have a global committe to determine who needs to be protected from what.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000

"Protect" people? In every modern country the dangers of smoking are well-known; I dont need ANYBODY to "protect" me from them. I freely choose to smoke. A good case can be made that in many 3rd world countries education and awareness should be stepped up, but if you want to start outlawing tobacco advertising...might as well start outlawing them for alcohol and a host of other things. You'd have a global committe to determine who needs to be protected from what.

As I've already mentioned tons of times, this treaty is primarily meant for the third world, since they don't have the measures we have. As to why people need to be protected from the companies (not from themselves, but the companies -- an important distinction), please see my second post in this thread. I don't want to repeat myself so much.