Keurig / K-Cup coffee makers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Originally posted by: swbsam
That's exactly how I feel about french presses - too much of a hassle when my wife leaves me less than 15 minutes to get ready for work! Sure, I can wake up earlier but.. Fuck that!

You guys are unbelievable. What part of the following is hard?

Heat water
Put grinds in press
Pour in hot water and stir
Let sit for 3-4 minutes
Pour coffee

Hassle? How do you make a mess of this process? I can see the occasional spill but that's not inherent to just presses. .

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
Originally posted by: jonnyGURU
I've got one. Use it.. love it.

Coffee is a bit weaker, but I'm ok with that. I don't like really strong coffee.

I've read that's a common complaint, but does yours have a strength adjustment? The B40 does and I'm hoping that along with darker brews will help.

Then again, I'm hardly a coffee purist and drink flavored coffee all the time

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
Originally posted by: crownjules
That's exactly how I feel about french presses - too much of a hassle when my wife leaves me less than 15 minutes to get ready for work! Sure, I can wake up earlier but.. Fuck that!

Heat water
Put grinds in press
Let sit for 3-4 minutes
Pour coffee

Hassle? How do you make a mess of this process? I can see the occasional spill but that's not inherent to just presses. .

Pour water into reservoir
Insert k-cup
Hit Start

That's more efficient and no chance of spilling hot water and coffee grinds on my work clothes because I plunged too hard and sent the press fying.... Yes, I've done that before, and I had to mop the floor each time because my dogs love coffee, even though it could kill them. And.. and.. bah, I spent more money on date night and the movie and dinner sucked, so I'll stop justifying my purchase and apologizing for my laziness now :)

That's worth it to me :)

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005

Heat water
Put grinds in press
Let sit for 3-4 minutes
Pour coffee

It's not hard, it's just more time consuming.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002

Coffee is a bit weaker, but I'm ok with that. I don't like really strong coffee.

I've read that's a common complaint, but does yours have a strength adjustment? The B40 does and I'm hoping that along with darker brews will help.

That is one of the reasons machines like the Bosch using Tassimo is better than Keurig. You can adjust the strength and tassimo pods support larger cups of coffee.

sale1980

Jul 13, 2001
I bought the Keurig Elite for my mom for Mother's day. I was proud of the deal I found....Lowe's had it for $85 and then I used one of those 10% off coupons that you get from lowesmoving.com and bam it was only $75. Normally goes for about $110 at other stores.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Heat water
Put grinds in press
Let sit for 3-4 minutes
Pour coffee

You can hash it all you want it's still 10x the time to just pop a pod in a machine, press start and come back to a cup of coffee.

You also have nothing about cleaning above. The Keurig self cleans.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Codewiz

That is one of the reasons machines like the Bosch using Tassimo is better than Keurig. You can adjust the strength and tassimo pods support larger cups of coffee.

The k-cups are really designed for the standard size cup which is small on the machines.

Technically you want to brew a few small cups to make one large one...the 'bold' coffees help with this.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: Codewiz

The k-cups are really designed for the standard size cup which is small on the machines.

Technically you want to brew a few small cups to make one large one...the 'bold' coffees help with this.

That is what I mean. Tassimo pods are designed to produce larger amounts of coffee. The complaint you hear about the Keurig is the weak coffee. That is because the K-cups are intended to make 4oz or 6oz of coffee.

Tassimo pods are designed to do 8oz of coffee so you don't get the weak coffee complaints.

The biggest advantage k-cups have over tassimo pods is variety.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Bought a SunCafe single pod coffee maker, sooo much better than the crap coffee we make in the office.....

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
Originally posted by: KMFJD
Bought a SunCafe single pod coffee maker, sooo much better than the crap coffee we make in the office.....

Googled - that's a beautiful machine!

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
Update Ordered the b40 + 50 "donut shop style" pots and 50 hazlenut pods, all should be delivered today- woot!

As far as bringing down the environmental impact and cost per cup, there are two options for using your own grinds:

1. Caps from ebay designed to allow you to re-use k-cups. I haven't ordered this because I'm thinking a little saran wrap will do the same darn thing, and re-using filters is kinda gross to me (especially with NYC humidity)

2. Re-usable filter from krups - refillable permanent filter. I ordered this - reviews point to a weaker cup of coffee (the water seeps through this filter too quickly, vs. the disposable k-cups), but there's a simple mod that's as follows:
Here's a tip for stronger coffee, October 10, 2008
By V. Germano (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
After reading many reviews about the problems with the My K-Cup and experimenting on my own, I have found an easy solution to the problem of weak coffee using this filter. As others have noted, the water goes through the My K-Cup way too fast as compared to the K-Cups. My solution was to take apart a K-Cup and use the outer plastic shell with the My K-Cup filter. Here's all you need to do:

Take a used K-Cup and cut the top foil off of a K-Cup. Cut the paper filter out of the K-Cup. It's okay not to cut it all the way off of the rim of the K-Cup because you will need to cut the top of the K-Cup (where it gets wider at the top). You need to cut the top of the K-Cup off because you need to fit the K-Cup shell into the My K-Cup holder. Once you slide the bottom shell of the K-Cup into the holder, you can add your coffee into the My K-Cup (tapping or gently pressing the coffee so that it is not loose inside the filter). Then place the My K-Cup filter into the holder and cover as normal. When brewing, the K-Cup shell surrounds the My K-Cup filter and slows down the water by making it pass through the punctured hole that the prepackaged K-Cup normally uses.

The great thing about this is that you can re-use the K-Cup shell that you cut apart over and over so once you have cut one apart you don't have to worry about it again- use the My K-Cup as you normally would.

I'm hoping Keurig will have figured this out in the near future and add a premade piece that is included the My K-Cup, but until then, I have found that this solves the problem of weak coffee.

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Nightfall
Originally posted by: SpiderWiz
I love my Keurig. Check out http://www.coffeewiz.com/ good prices on the k-cups etc. Also, Costco was selling a smaller cheaper Keurig.

Check out http://www.shoffee.com as well. Free ground shipping on orders of $60 or more and I think the prices are about the same if not better by just a bit.

I'll def check them out, but amazon prime makes k-cups very affordable - $17 for 50, with free shipping (donut shop style) if you sign up for a subscription (auto delivery every x months).

Nightfall

Golden Member
Nov 16, 1999
I agree swbsam.

Lots of places to buy these things cheaply. The last thing you want to do is buy them in the stores. So many good deals out there.

BTA

Jun 7, 2005
We don't drink a ton of coffee and very rarely more than a cup at a time. We only buy the Green Mountain K-cups though, tried a lot of the others and they are mostly terrible.

Love our Keurig.

Thanks to those who linked sites that sell the k-cups cheap btw.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Update Ordered the b40 + 50 "donut shop style" pots and 50 hazlenut pods, all should be delivered today- woot!

As far as bringing down the environmental impact and cost per cup, there are two options for using your own grinds:

1. Caps from ebay designed to allow you to re-use k-cups. I haven't ordered this because I'm thinking a little saran wrap will do the same darn thing, and re-using filters is kinda gross to me (especially with NYC humidity)

2. Re-usable filter from krups - refillable permanent filter. I ordered this - reviews point to a weaker cup of coffee (the water seeps through this filter too quickly, vs. the disposable k-cups), but there's a simple mod that's as follows:
(REAL NAME)
After reading many reviews about the problems with the My K-Cup and experimenting on my own, I have found an easy solution to the problem of weak coffee using this filter. As others have noted, the water goes through the My K-Cup way too fast as compared to the K-Cups. My solution was to take apart a K-Cup and use the outer plastic shell with the My K-Cup filter. Here's all you need to do:

Take a used K-Cup and cut the top foil off of a K-Cup. Cut the paper filter out of the K-Cup. It's okay not to cut it all the way off of the rim of the K-Cup because you will need to cut the top of the K-Cup (where it gets wider at the top). You need to cut the top of the K-Cup off because you need to fit the K-Cup shell into the My K-Cup holder. Once you slide the bottom shell of the K-Cup into the holder, you can add your coffee into the My K-Cup (tapping or gently pressing the coffee so that it is not loose inside the filter). Then place the My K-Cup filter into the holder and cover as normal. When brewing, the K-Cup shell surrounds the My K-Cup filter and slows down the water by making it pass through the punctured hole that the prepackaged K-Cup normally uses.

The great thing about this is that you can re-use the K-Cup shell that you cut apart over and over so once you have cut one apart you don't have to worry about it again- use the My K-Cup as you normally would.

I'm hoping Keurig will have figured this out in the near future and add a premade piece that is included the My K-Cup, but until then, I have found that this solves the problem of weak coffee.

The pods for the Suncafe are just like tea bags

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
Originally posted by: KMFJD

(REAL NAME)

The pods for the Suncafe are just like tea bags

I've heard, but I ordered a keurig

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: lokiju

outstanding! I already ordered a Keurig but, hell, I'll give this a try as well.
Thanks!

I actually have that.

I got it from my local grocery store (Publix) for $4 IIRC, actually makes a good cup of coffee.

But I'm just to lazy to use it in the morning. I want to hit a button, go get ready, come back and have my coffee waiting for me.

This requires boiling water, putting in a paper filter, filling with grinds, placing on top of the cup/mug, pouring in the hot water, which depending on the size of the cup might require more to be poured in if the first bit wasn't enough, which requires waiting around for it to filter through, etc.

Great for the weekend if I'm dying for a cup of coffee but not fast and easy enough for my rushed mornings of taking care of a new born, getting ready for work, eating, showering, etc...

you really need a water kettle..the electric ones make it easier. ~20 bucks at target. 10 dollars if u go for the cheapest. after that its easy. water boils in an electric kettle much faster than most stoves. plus they are useful for anything that requires boiling water. speeds up pasta making as well if you preheat most of the water in a kettle to jump start the cook time.

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
Update: First weekend with the Keurig, and it's an indispensable part of our household already! The sample pack was great but I'm glad that my favorite was also what I ordered bulk of, "Donut Shop Coffee" is insanely good. The coffee is deliciously strong if you use the smaller cup size (I can see how people can complain about the coffee being weak if they used the "large" setting), and I had my best cup of homemade tea yet. In fact, I need to order more tea k-cups because tea bags just aren't going to cut it anymore.

I tried to "hack" my own refill but that proved to be a messy mistake.. Oh, I was able to get 2 strong cups of tea out of one tea k-cup. I have the reusable filter but haven't tried that yet. Though I think I'll just stick to using k-cups.

Hot cocoa is also very good, but it's a bit expensive compared to just using syrup.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Bed Bath and Beyond sale + $10 off coupon for the win.

Also many don't know but Keurig sells sampler's of 5 direct to customers. Good way to try out a brew first.

We buy the 60ct sampler as it includes all the top choices along with an english tea choice (we have oolong and green bags in our house, but some like english types), then my wife adds 18ct boxes of her favorites.

This past weekend I picked up a 60ct sampler, 18 of the Breakfast Blend, Donut Shoppe, and Dark Magic (mild, medium, and bold coffee).

Added a small item and used two expired $10 off $30 coupons to get basically two 18 packs free. Online would have been still cheaper but at .50cents a cup and a variety at lower quantity I am cool with that.

When we buy in bulk around the holidays we usually average 30-40cents.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Mmmmm, I love their Donut Shop coffee. Great for people who like their coffee black.