Keurig is locking down its coffee makers to keep out cheap refills

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Never been a coffee guy except when I was on a submarine, that shit is a necessity there.There were a few Keurig machines around the sub. It was hard to keep enough creamer and k-cups around for three months and 150 crewmen.

Seems to me what Keurig is doing here is BS.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I am guessing you really don't know much about Keurigs, because these are just ignorant statements. There are TONS of different coffees available for use in Keurig machines, and there is a cup available, see below, that allows you to use your own coffee. Also, while it isn't an everyday occurrence, we got our machine for about $60, and then got another for my mom and dad for Christmas for $25, same version just newer. If you look you can find deals on them all the time. I do however agree that full boat retail is pretty high, but it isn't completely ridiculous, I've seen a lot worse overpriced items out there.

Get one of these, then you can use what ever coffee you want ...

I'm just quoting the prices I've seen, both online and in grocery stores (check the unit prices, the difference is rather shocking); and my experience tasting Keurig coffee. And doesn't using the DIY cup detract from the convenience? If you're going to grind your own coffee and wash out the grounds afterwards, why not use a press or drip?

As for using a press making one a snob, I use one because it produces the richest tasting coffee (I like mine dark roasted and black), and that richness helps it accomplish its primary goal, to wake me up. I'm not above other options, but the best coffee I've tasted out a Keurig has been no better than complementary hotel coffee, likely due to the preparation method. Why should I pay more money for lesser quality?

Honestly I think owning a Keurig is more snobbish than owning a press, because you're buying into an overpriced gimmick for no objective value. Only reason to do that is to "keep up with the Joneses".

Last edited:

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I'm just quoting the prices I've seen, both online and in grocery stores (check the unit prices, the difference is rather shocking); and my experience tasting Keurig coffee. And doesn't using the DIY cup detract from the convenience? If you're going to grind your own coffee and wash out the grounds afterwards, why not use a press or drip?

As for using a press making one a snob, I use one because it produces the richest tasting coffee (I like mine dark roasted and black), and that richness helps it accomplish its primary goal, to wake me up. I'm not above other options, but the best coffee I've tasted out a Keurig has been no better than complementary hotel coffee, likely due to the preparation method. Why should I pay more money for lesser quality?

Honestly I think owning a Keurig is more snobbish than owning a press, because you're buying into an overpriced gimmick for no objective value. Only reason to do that is to "keep up with the Joneses".

Hardly, plenty of coffee makers that cost more than a Keurig. And some people like convenience. My coffee maker is timed to start in the morning, so that by the time I'm downstairs, it's ready. You're the one that sounds like a snob.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Hardly, plenty of coffee makers that cost more than a Keurig. And some people like convenience. My coffee maker is timed to start in the morning, so that by the time I'm downstairs, it's ready. You're the one that sounds like a snob.

Even if the makers are competitively priced, the k-cups are extremely overpriced, which was my point. I've yet to see anyone refute this. You will spend more money past the initial investment on a Keurig than with other options, for the same or lesser quality coffee.

If I'm a snob, then I'm a snob that's downed lukewarm 7-11 coffee with relish when there was no better option. *shrug*

As you say different people have different values, the convenience you describe is negligible to me, certainly not worth my money. Would be like outfitting my car to automatically start when I open the door to save the "effort" of turning the key. But to each their own I suppose.

Last edited:

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Even if the makers are competitively priced, the k-cups are extremely overpriced, which was my point. I've yet to see anyone refute this. You will spend more money past the initial investment on a Keurig than with other options, for the same or lesser quality coffee.

If I'm a snob, then I'm a snob that's downed lukewarm 7-11 coffee with relish when there was no better option. *shrug*

As you say different people have different values, the convenience you describe is negligible to me, certainly not worth my money. Would be like outfitting my car to automatically start when I open the door to save the "effort" of turning the key. But to each their own I suppose.

Maybe the pictures were a bit much I think we know what a Keurig looks like ;)

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I have a personal prohibition on flowing searingly hot water over disposable plastic and then consuming it... Plastic + heat = not edible in my opinion.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
if anything, a traditional coffee maker is a bigger pain in the ass.

Keurig: wait 30 seconds for it to warm up, pop in the pod, and hit the button.

Drip pot: place filter in machine, measure out beans, grind beans, measure out water, add water to machine, hit the button, wash out your coffee grinder, wash out your coffee pot (when done), and discard coffee grinds.

but neither is particularly onerous and the drip should tend to make for a better, cheaper cup of coffee.

Nope. Add water just like the Keurig. Add filter, just as easy as adding 1 cup to the Keurig. Add 2 scoops of ground coffee and go to bed. When I wake up I have all the coffee I can drink ready to go.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Honestly I think owning a Keurig is more snobbish than owning a press, because you're buying into an overpriced gimmick for no objective value.

That's just ...dumb, just as easy, and less wasteful.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
I have a personal prohibition on flowing searingly hot water over disposable plastic and then consuming it... Plastic + heat = not edible in my opinion.

This, hope everyone enjoys their gyno from all the estrogen like compounds they're ingesting.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
That's just ...dumb, just as easy, and less wasteful.

Actually I'm pretty sure a press, which uses fewer parts and no one-off disposable components, wins on the "wasteful" point as well.

From what I've seen a Keurig is about the least efficient option for coffee from all angles except for saving a negligible amount of time/effort, and the coffee it makes is mediocre. The only thing it decisively wins at is "looking chique". Sorry if that rubs some who have invested in the thing the wrong way.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
This, hope everyone enjoys their gyno from all the estrogen like compounds they're ingesting.

images

JManInPhoenix

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2013
Our Keurig makes pretty good coffee but it damn sure isn't cost effective. (the wife bought the machine and buys all the kcups so I really can't complain).

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Our Keurig makes pretty good coffee but it damn sure isn't cost effective. (the wife bought the machine and buys all the kcups so I really can't complain).

Lol I actually know the feeling. Oh man these things are such a waste of money but you know if its there I might as well... MMmmmm Keurig coffee.

Last edited:

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
The advantage of the keurig isn't the coffee's taste. The coffee is ok. The reason to buy the machines are you can make a single cup of coffee without waste. I have a Mr Coffee drip machine at home, and the smallest batch I can make is 4 cups. Most of the time, I make like 12 cups and drink 1-2 cups. The remainder just sits on the boiler plate until I get frustrated at how I never got around to drinking more cups during the day and how its too late at night to try and finish what I started at which point I turn off the machine.

I actually have contemplated buying a keurig just so I can make single cups. However, I didn't like the idea of the enviromental waste. In addition, in my search I started eyeballing latte and espresso machines which also are single cup...Long story short, no progress has been made in terms of a purchase

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I can see the merit in a Keurig. I would have liked one in college when I would make coffee and get out of the apartment as quick as possible. People that only like a few cups in the morning before going to work would like it. It certainly isn't good for a family where more than 2 people enjoy coffee unless they absolutely must have different grinds. They are a bit pricey for college kids though lol.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I've owned 3 Keurigs over the years. First was a "platinum" model that someone gave me for Christmas. I loved it, used it to make the first cup of coffee every day, then just drank from the big pot in the office for the rest of the day. Cups could be had off slickdeals for less than 30 cents each. I took that Keurig to Afghanistan, where it developed the infamous "air bubble" problem and essentially stopped working. After some M4 therapy, the bubbles were cleared and it went back to work. I left it behind for our replacements. Keurig shipped us hundreds and hundreds of free K-cups in Afghanistan, btw.

I also had a smaller B30 model on my desk. It could only make one size of coffee, 8oz, so that was annoying. I would usually have to run it twice to get a full mug of coffee. I ended up giving it away to someone else in my office when I moved.

Then I bought another Platinum that I still have at home, for my 2 cups of coffee a day. The variety that I can keep on hand without worrying that it'll expire, and the convenience of making just one cup at a time can't be beaten.

So it's safe to say I'm a Keurig fan. Now that I've gotten lazy, I usually just buy kcups at the grocery store, where they're typically 50-60 cents a piece. That's kind of outrageous, but what are you gonna do? I'm sure I'll have one of their new DRM coffee makers soon enough.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I've been really tempted to bring my Keurig into work now that we're not using it at home, because it'd be great for my 1-2 cups/day (and I really hate the office coffee machine), but I worry that the noise would drive my coworkers bananas.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I've been really tempted to bring my Keurig into work now that we're not using it at home, because it'd be great for my 1-2 cups/day (and I really hate the office coffee machine), but I worry that the noise would drive my coworkers bananas.

The noise? Some light boiling sounds and the pump working?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
The advantage of the keurig isn't the coffee's taste. The coffee is ok. The reason to buy the machines are you can make a single cup of coffee without waste. I have a Mr Coffee drip machine at home, and the smallest batch I can make is 4 cups. Most of the time, I make like 12 cups and drink 1-2 cups. The remainder just sits on the boiler plate until I get frustrated at how I never got around to drinking more cups during the day and how its too late at night to try and finish what I started at which point I turn off the machine.

I actually have contemplated buying a keurig just so I can make single cups. However, I didn't like the idea of the enviromental waste. In addition, in my search I started eyeballing latte and espresso machines which also are single cup...Long story short, no progress has been made in terms of a purchase

The smallest measurement on mine is 4 cups, I just make half as much as that for 2 cups....

Get a thermos, leaving the pot on burns the coffee. After like 1/2 hour, it starts to taste bad.