Keurig is locking down its coffee makers to keep out cheap refills

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
OMG I GOT BURNED.

Now I'm going to cry myself to sleep tonight. I hope you're happy.

No need for that, so long as you drink less 6 8 oz cups or less per day.

From that link
Drinking up to six cups a day of coffee is not associated with increased risk of death from any cause, or death from cancer or cardiovascular disease.

3. Is there an upper limit for the amount of coffee that is healthy to drink each day?

If you’re drinking so much coffee that you get tremors, have sleeping problems, or feel stressed and uncomfortable, then obviously you’re drinking too much coffee. But in terms of effects on mortality or other health factors, for example, we don’t see any negative effects of consuming up to six cups of coffee a day. Keep in mind that our study and in most studies of coffee, a “cup” of coffee is an 8-ounce cup with 100 mg of caffeine, not the 16 ounces you would get in a grande coffee at a Starbucks, which has about 330 mg of caffeine.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
I just have a slight dislike of coffee snobs. :p

Not so much trying to get at you as I've just heard about a french press about 10,000 times and the 10,001th seemed to do the trick.

Wow a Keurig thread let me post about my french press! Its funny awww cmonnn.

But you didn't have to hurt my feelings. They're fragile.

Seriously, I couldn't possibly care less that you don't like "coffee snobs." French Press coffee tastes good and I'm willing to spend the extra time to make it when I'm not busy. The rest of the time it's convenient to use the Keurig when we're in a rush. I held out on buying one until it was at a deep discount on Black Friday last year.

Oh but I'm just a coffee snob. Derp derp herp derp. My precious little psyche is crushed.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006

From that link

My main concern would be the cafestol from drinking French Press coffee. Last time my cholesterol was checked, it was fine, but that was 5 years ago. Probably due to get checked again, especially since I've been drinking coffee that hasn't gone through a paper filter.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
My main concern would be the cafestol from drinking French Press coffee. Last time my cholesterol was checked, it was fine, but that was 5 years ago. Probably due to get checked again, especially since I've been drinking coffee that hasn't gone through a paper filter.

But that's the point, that article was talking about unfiltered coffee.

So the moral of the story is: More than 46 fl oz of unfiltered coffee per day will likely raise your cholesterol. Consumption below that level hasn't shown any demonstrable effect. At least I assume that interpretations correct. Even if it isn't, according to NBC:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/6242467/ns/health-heart_health/t/coffee-cholesterol/

Although Klag advises his patients who drink unfiltered coffee to switch to filtered brew, he says that not everyone needs to be overly concerned about the effect of unfiltered coffee on cholesterol. He notes that cholesterol levels are a "combination of how you live, what you eat and what genes you inherit." A healthy person with low cholesterol probably does not need to worry too much about the effect of coffee on cholesterol levels, he says.

A Dutch researcher who has also documented the cholesterol-boosting effect of unfiltered coffee agrees that the risks need to be seen in perspective.

"Unfiltered coffee has much less effect on your heart disease risk than smoking, high blood pressure or being overweight," says Dr. Martijn B. Katan, a professor at the Wageningen Center for Food Sciences and Wageningen University. "But if you want to optimize your cholesterol levels, you should avoid large daily amounts of unfiltered coffee."

Last edited:

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
Thankfully, I don't really drink coffee.

We do have a drip coffee maker though. We throw the Kroger brand tea bags in there and just let it brew a pot of tea like that. Then dump some sugar and half & half in our cups of tea.

Sometimes the pot sits so long the hot plate shuts off automatically, I try to just reset it before that happens so it can stay warm even longer before I get to it.

:p

*offends both coffee and tea purists*

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Ahh man not that I care.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/coffee/

Your coffee snobbishness is going to get you though :p.

I know exactly what I'm doing I lurrrveeee the french press herp derp. Whatever. Lol.

If health considerations always determined choices, no one would ever eat french fries or ice cream. No one would ever ski or skydive or bungee jump or have sex on the first date. No one would ever play contact sports.

There's more to existence than just maximizing one's longevity.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002

From that link

Ehhh, that one is mostly referencing filtered coffee AFAIK. The "how much everyday is safe" that I've seen mostly pulls from all cause mortality. So for example 2 cups of coffee a day decreases all cause mortality by 10% but drinking two cans of diet soda a day increased it by 8%.

4 cups a day was the break even point.

All you'd have to do since the oily fraction floats is soak it up with a filter after making it in a french press ;)

Its something to be aware of, just don't overdo unfiltered coffee. Its not going to make a difference if it isn't your main brew unless you already have high cholesterol.

Last edited:

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
They were WAY overpriced to begin with.

That's what you get for keeping up with the Joneses and buying a trendy trendy coffee maker that makes mediocre coffee in seconds! Me, I'll stick to my $8/lb whole-bean coffee that I grind up and make in a french press. Takes all of 7 minutes in the morning (really 30 seconds since I do other stuff while the water is heating/coffee is steeping), and is infinitely better tasting and over 1000% cheaper than any Keurig crap.

Suppose it depends on how much coffee you drink. I have at least 2 cups every day, often more, I'm saving at least several hundred dollars a year over a Keurig and getting coffee that's about twice the quality.

I could spend $20/lb on premium whole-bean coffee that tastes awesome and still save money over a Keurig.

I am guessing you really don't know much about Keurigs, because these are just ignorant statements. There are TONS of different coffees available for use in Keurig machines, and there is a cup available, see below, that allows you to use your own coffee. Also, while it isn't an everyday occurrence, we got our machine for about $60, and then got another for my mom and dad for Christmas for $25, same version just newer. If you look you can find deals on them all the time. I do however agree that full boat retail is pretty high, but it isn't completely ridiculous, I've seen a lot worse overpriced items out there.

I love my keurig, but if they DRM it there's no way I"m going to buy another one. I've avoided drm crap everywhere I can, and I'll be damned if I'm going to support a manufacturer that wants to control what coffee I can drink.

Screw them.

Get one of these, then you can use what ever coffee you want ...

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Thats not paper filtered.

That said, I have something similar ;)

My main brew is a regular ole drip brew since the K-cups never last as long as I expect them to. So the Keurig ended up being a really fancy single-cup brewer when I need that 3rd cup of joe.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I recently replaced my broken bialetti percolator with a 25 dollar aeropress.

that thing is awesome.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Why is using a cafetiere (French press) considered to be a symptom of being a coffee snob?
A cafetiere is probably the easiest way to make coffee apart from instant.
Dump coffee grounds in jug, dump hot water in jug, go for a pee, press plunger, drink, go for another pee.
I'm not seeing why that's particularly elitist given that a cafetiere is also probably one of the cheapest ways of making coffee as well.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Why is using a cafetiere (French press) considered to be a symptom of being a coffee snob?
A cafetiere is probably the easiest way to make coffee apart from instant.
Dump coffee grounds in jug, dump hot water in jug, go for a pee, press plunger, drink, go for another pee.
I'm not seeing why that's particularly elitist given that a cafetiere is also probably one of the cheapest ways of making coffee as well.

It has nothing to do with the French Press itself, it has to do with the hipster elitist that use it.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It has nothing to do with the French Press itself, it has to do with the hipster elitist that use it.

Cool I'm a hipster now.

Was I a hipster 20 years ago when I was using one as well? Cos that would make me a hipster before hipsters were hipsters.

Seriously though, it's a cheap, quick way to make decent coffee, what's not to like?

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Cool I'm a hipster now.

Was I a hipster 20 years ago when I was using one as well? Cos that would make me a hipster before hipsters were hipsters.

Seriously though, it's a cheap, quick way to make decent coffee, what's not to like?

Sorry, but you are just not important enough to be the basis of opinions formed about ...anything

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
This. My mom got one for Christmas and it is the biggest pain in the ass.

if anything, a traditional coffee maker is a bigger pain in the ass.

Keurig: wait 30 seconds for it to warm up, pop in the pod, and hit the button.

Drip pot: place filter in machine, measure out beans, grind beans, measure out water, add water to machine, hit the button, wash out your coffee grinder, wash out your coffee pot (when done), and discard coffee grinds.

but neither is particularly onerous and the drip should tend to make for a better, cheaper cup of coffee.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Get one of these, then you can use what ever coffee you want ...

My wife has one of those and really like it. I think the Keurig does a good job for us since my wife has 1 cup in the morning and occasionally another in the afternoon and I don't drink coffee so we certainly don't need to have a lot sitting around

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003

Drip pot: place filter in machine, measure out beans, grind beans, measure out water, add water to machine, hit the button, wash out your coffee grinder, wash out your coffee pot (when done), and discard coffee grinds.

but neither is particularly onerous and the drip should tend to make for a better, cheaper cup of coffee.

You guys all love doing things the long way.

I put a little bit of instant coffee into my cup and add hot water. It tastes way better than K-Cup (sadly), but it probably helps my work has 200deg filtered water ready to go any time of the day for tea drinkers.

I prefer the instant coffee I drink to both drip (pre-grinded package, not coffee you grind yourself) and K-Cup. And it's cheaper than both. I calculated it to be about 8 cents/cup not on sale, 6.5 cents/cup if I get a deal.

On top of that, nothing to clean other than the mug I re-use every day, but you need a cup / mug regardless of which type of coffee you drink.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

use a gold foil filter all you need to do is clean it
grinding takes all of 20 seconds
adding water takes 20 seconds
program pot to come on when you want it takes 2 min only once
press button
coffee in the morning with zero effort
i clean and reload the pot when doing dishes after dinner

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
use a gold foil filter all you need to do is clean it
grinding takes all of 20 seconds
adding water takes 20 seconds
program pot to come on when you want it takes 2 min only once
press button
coffee in the morning with zero effort
i clean and reload the pot when doing dishes after dinner

again, neither is particularly onerous... just saying that inarguably, preparing a pot of brewed coffee has more steps than a Keurig.