Keurig is locking down its coffee makers to keep out cheap refills

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
All coffee is shitty. I buy creamer to put in it so it doesn't taste like bitter shit.

Why not add a chemistry set to you coffee. Use half and half or cream or even milk for Christ's sake.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
All coffee is shitty to me. I buy creamer to put in it so it doesn't taste like bitter shit.

FTFY...why does everyone think that everyone else has to have the same OPINION as they do???

Not all coffee tastes shit and requires creamer....free coffee at work is not one of these...

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I feel like I've had a lot of coffee in my life, but I've never had a cup that didn't require at least something to temper it (sugar/milk)... but we've all got different taste buds, different strokes for different folks :thumbsup:

Keurig changing their machines neither surprises nor worries me. the free market will probably vote with their feet -- I know a lot of people who only own a Keurig because the price is manageable with the reusable mods, where they can fill it with any ground beans.

I switched back from a Keurig to a drip machine about a year ago... the price per k-cup wasn't bad when it was just me drinking my 1 cup/day, but when my SO started spending 4-5 days/week here and we started going through 5-6 cups a day instead, it began to add up.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
This has been happening since the 1800s man. Its simple: Now you know, so don't buy it. Put it to rest. I won't ever buy one. I know its just a way to make coffee into printer ink as you say. Some people ARE easily parted from their money. It is what it is. Now everyone who saw the article knows too and its their choice if they want to buy it anyway. Just...don't...buy...it.

But there will always be *someone* out there who doesn't understand how things work and buy it without realizing its a rip off for how much coffee you get vs the old system, but so what? Thats their business plan let them have their business plan thats how it works. People like alky and shit buy it cause the TV said it makes fantastic'er coffee over the old one, or whatever.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
We own a Keurig for convenience so my wife or I can make a quick cup of coffee to drink on the way to work.

On the weekends, or when I'm working from home, I grind whole beans and use a French Press.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
We own a Keurig for convenience so my wife or I can make a quick cup of coffee to drink on the way to work.

On the weekends, or when I'm working from home, I grind whole beans and use a French Press.

Ahh man not that I care.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/coffee/

It’s best to brew coffee with a paper filter, to remove a substance that causes increases in LDL cholesterol.

---Coffee contains a substance called cafestol that is a potent stimulator of LDL cholesterol levels. Cafestol is found in the oily fraction of coffee, and when you brew coffee with a paper filter, the cafestol gets left behind in the filter. Other methods of coffee preparation, such as the boiled coffee common in Scandinavian countries, French press coffee, or Turkish coffee, are much higher in cafestol. So for people who have high cholesterol levels or who want to prevent having high cholesterol levels, it is better to choose paper filtered coffee or instant coffee, since they have much lower levels of cafestol than boiled or French press coffee. Espresso is somewhere in the middle; it has less cafestol than boiled or French press coffee, but more than paper filtered coffee.
Your coffee snobbishness is going to get you though :p.

I know exactly what I'm doing I lurrrveeee the french press herp derp. Whatever. Lol.

Last edited:

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
They're really nice if all you make is one or two cups of coffee a day. If their patents are expiring what's stopping companies from just selling the old keurig machine designs that work with the cheap pods?

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
OMG I GOT BURNED.

Now I'm going to cry myself to sleep tonight. I hope you're happy.

Oh you wanted the french press award! How do you do it what with the hot water and the pouring how do you not pour hot water all over yourself like a bad infomercial while us heathens use a $10 Mr. Coffee and don't have high cholesterol!? How!?

Tell us your amazing coffee ways.

I want to hear about your french press about as much as you want to hear about my Mr. Coffee.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Interesting. A popular aquarium filter manufacturer tried the same thing, changing their filter to a design using a patented design that no one else could make. No value was added except to the manufacturer's bottom line. That was a miserable failure as no one bought it and the old design came back within a year.

It will be interesting to see if Keurig can pull this off.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I don't see the big deal.

Just use another coffee maker.

The whole Keurig thing is a business model that has been around a long time. Printers, water purifiers etc all make their profit on the supplies (cartridges, filters etc.). Nothing new here.

Fern

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Oh you wanted the french press award! How do you do it what with the hot water and the pouring how do you not pour hot water all over yourself like a bad infomercial while us heathens use a $10 Mr. Coffee and don't have high cholesterol!? How!?

Tell us your amazing coffee ways.

Do you use a burr grinder to get it just right or settle for a blade grinder? I was thinking about dropping like $200 on a burr grinder that I use once.

This is hurting my self esteem. Please stop!

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
This is hurting my self esteem. Please stop!

I just have a slight dislike of coffee snobs. :p

Not so much trying to get at you as I've just heard about a french press about 10,000 times and the 10,001th seemed to do the trick.

Wow a Keurig thread let me post about my french press! Its funny awww cmonnn.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
I can't really say I care much about this. It's an overpriced and wasteful system in the first place.

You could spend $20-30 on a basic auto-drip and about $3-12 for a 12oz bag of coffee.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This strategy worked out well for Sony.

bear in mind, no consumer has ever been harmed in the implementation of such strategies.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I love my keurig, but if they DRM it there's no way I"m going to buy another one. I've avoided drm crap everywhere I can, and I'll be damned if I'm going to support a manufacturer that wants to control what coffee I can drink.

Screw them.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Not really, it's integrated into my routine. Heating the water takes 3 minutes and steeping the coffee takes 4. I do other things (including grinding the coffee, which takes about 30 seconds) while I'm waiting for the water to heat and the coffee to steep.

So it's actually more like 3 hours of my life every year.

You need to redo your math. Also now you have 30 seconds in the mix that you are locked into performing to have coffee the next day.

Keurigs and other higher end novelities are for those with more money than time.

Also as an occasional coffee drinker I make it to my needs.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I don't know how you can trust a European coffee machine... their coffee is so bad, they can only stand to drink it in tiny cups. D:
LOL

I agree with P.J. O'Rourke in failing to see why it would be better to drink coffee in tiny cups than to drink whiskey in large glasses.