Kerrys Paid Just 12% in Federal Income Taxes in 2003

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Rob9874
Originally posted by: Todd33
Bill Gates and I average $20 Billion in combined assets. Can you disprove this?

It's typical Rip crap, from right wing sources with no merit. It's dribble for people looking for reasons to hate Kerry. I'm just ashamed for falling for it and replying.

drivel

\Driv"el\, n.

1. Slaver; saliva flowing from the mouth.

2. Inarticulate or unmeaning utterance; foolish talk; babble
dribble

\Drib"ble\, v. i.

2. To slaver, as a child or an idiot; to drivel

As to the thread topic; If he is not guilty of tax evasion and is paying what he is legally required to by law, then he would be a damned fool to pay more. I don't see how he is committing any moral or ethical transgression if he is following the existing tax codes, loopholes and all. If he is elected and makes the code tougher on those in his tax bracket he will pay more taxes and unless/until such a time comes this is a non-issue IMO.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Originally posted by: X-Man
Originally posted by: TuxDave
Umm.... if Kerry paid 12% in taxes, how is that an attack on his character as opposed to the way that the tax system is designed. I paid 0% in taxes last year. Damn I'm a greedy bastard.

If Kerry says the rich need to pay more tax, it's directly hurting himself. That sounds like a noble man.

Kerry says the rich should pay more, so why didn't he? He and his wife are among the wealthiest people in this country - and yet they made certain to take every deduction possible.

If he truly believed that the rich should pay more, and wasn't simply saying it as a political maneuver, he would have declined those voluntary tax deductions. It's an attack on his character because it shows his hypocrisy.

Wow... so let me get this straight. The tax system isn't taxing the rich enough due to whatever changes by the administration. The tax system allows for many deducations for the rich due to whatever changes by the administration. So why aren't we changing the tax system to get rid of these problems? So let's say Bush reduces the elite rich tax to 0% for kicks. You're not gonna be yelling at Bush? You're gonna be yelling at Kerry since he's actually paying the 0%? What you are suggesting sounds like we should just make tax voluntary where everyone contributes what they believe is a fair share. :confused:

vanln

Aug 1, 2002
Originally posted by: dahunan
Uhmm.. George Bush should be held accountable for the money he wastes in our government too - LET US START WITH $200,000,000,000 in Iraq ;)

Wake up,

Dinner for free? never happen?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: X-Man
Umm.... if Kerry paid 12% in taxes, how is that an attack on his character as opposed to the way that the tax system is designed. I paid 0% in taxes last year. Damn I'm a greedy bastard.

If Kerry says the rich need to pay more tax, it's directly hurting himself. That sounds like a noble man.

Kerry says the rich should pay more, so why didn't he? He and his wife are among the wealthiest people in this country - and yet they made certain to take every deduction possible.

If he truly believed that the rich should pay more, and wasn't simply saying it as a political maneuver, he would have declined those voluntary tax deductions. It's an attack on his character because it shows his hypocrisy.

Wow... so let me get this straight. The tax system isn't taxing the rich enough due to whatever changes by the administration. The tax system allows for many deducations for the rich due to whatever changes by the administration. So why aren't we changing the tax system to get rid of these problems? So let's say Bush reduces the elite rich tax to 0% for kicks. You're not gonna be yelling at Bush? You're gonna be yelling at Kerry since he's actually paying the 0%? What you are suggesting sounds like we should just make tax voluntary where everyone contributes what they believe is a fair share. :confused:
I can only surmise that some expect him to pay a percentage congruous with his claims about taxing his own income bracket more heavily. However, I believe that had he done just that, charges of being dumber than Dub and/or political grandstanding would be leveled. As with all politics, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER

As to the thread topic; If he is not guilty of tax evasion and is paying what he is legally required to by law, then he would be a damned fool to pay more. I don't see how he is committing any moral or ethical transgression if he is following the existing tax codes, loopholes and all. If he is elected and makes the code tougher on those in his tax bracket he will pay more taxes and unless/until such a time comes this is a non-issue IMO.

I don't think anyone suggested that he committed a moral transgression. It's just ironic that he wants to hit the rich with a huge tax percentage, when he himself isn't subject to much taxes at all. I think the message is, had he paid 42% of his household's income (tax of $2.1M on an income of $5M), he may think twice about taxing the rich so much.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Nobody should be surprised by this sort of thing. Heinz and Kerry make most of their money from capital gains and dividends. Half of American households hold stock so half of america should be directly knowledgeable of the fact that capital gains are taxed at ~10% and divendends are now not taxed at all.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Rob9874
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER

I don't think anyone suggested that he committed a moral transgression. It's just ironic that he wants to hit the rich with a huge tax percentage, when he himself isn't subject to much taxes at all. I think the message is, had he paid 42% of his household's income (tax of $2.1M on an income of $5M), he may think twice about taxing the rich so much.
That's pure speculation though. Why pursue pie in the sky muck-raking when there are many real issues Kerry can be trounced for? ;)

drewshin

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
more stupid spam from riprorin, now he's faulting the kerrie's for paying their taxes. did they break any laws? what kind of idiot would pay more than they legally have to pay? it doesn't sound like they used any arcane loopholes to get around taxes, they have the standard stuff that most wealthy families including the bush's have.

they paid their fair share of taxes, which is what they're legally bound to pay. his wife skews the whole percentage thing because most of her income is tax exempt.

the quote below by the author of the article is also ignorant:
"John Kerry thinks other hardworking Americans should pay more taxes while he and his billionaire wife pay as little as possible,"

i would think that an anti-tax group would WANT people to pay as little tax as legally possible, why is he so angry with Kerry about it? talk about hypocrisy. Also, kerry has stated repeatedly that he would only repeal the tax cuts for the wealthiest 2%, so where does this lie about having hardworking americans pay more taxes come from?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Unless you have evidence that they're committing tax evasion then I don't care what rate they paid, it's none of my business or concern. It's my expectation that people will not seek to pay a higher amount of tax than they have to, indeed I'd be more concerned about Kerry if he obviously overpaid his taxes. The Kerrys could have paid 0.0000000000000000000012% and I'd be fine with it so long as the IRS was fine with it.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Originally posted by: glenn1
Unless you have evidence that they're committing tax evasion then I don't care what rate they paid, it's none of my business or concern. It's my expectation that people will not seek to pay a higher amount of tax than they have to, indeed I'd be more concerned about Kerry if he obviously overpaid his taxes. The Kerrys could have paid 0.0000000000000000000012% and I'd be fine with it so long as the IRS was fine with it.

It's only become an issue since he's railed on the wealthy for not paying their fair share.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Riprorin

It's only become an issue since he's railed on the wealthy for not paying their fair share.

So I shouldn't vote for kerry because bush change the tax laws so that the super rich can pay 12% tax.

lordtyranus

Banned
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Spencer278

So I shouldn't vote for kerry because bush change the tax laws so that the super rich can pay 12% tax.

No, you shouldn't vote for Kerry because the rich will continue to avoid paying taxes even under Kerry's plan. He'll end up stressing the middle class even more. Bush, otoh, is going for income tax reform.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000

If he thinks that the rich don't pay enough taxes, he should lead by example and pay more taxes himself, otherwise he's clearly a hypocrite.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002

If he thinks that the rich don't pay enough taxes, he should lead by example and pay more taxes himself, otherwise he's clearly a hypocrite.

Or he could run for president to get the taxes changed. But i don't care if he is hypocrite or not I think the rich should pay more taxes and kerry is the only canidate to support that position.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000

Or he could run for president to get the taxes changed. But i don't care if he is hypocrite or not I think the rich should pay more taxes and kerry is the only canidate to support that position.

What income classifies one as "rich", and what level of income tax do you think the "rich" should pay?

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002

What income classifies one as "rich", and what level of income tax do you think the "rich" should pay?

I would say some one making 5 million a year or more should pay more then 12% taxes.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000

I would say some one making 5 million a year or more should pay more then 12% taxes.

You didn't answer my questions.

What income makes one rich?

What percentage of their income should the rich pay in taxes?

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002

Your right I don't have any idea how to write the tax code /budget. But it is clear when one group is paying a lower percentage of taxes and making more money then something needs to be fixed.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000

Your right I don't have any idea how to write the tax code /budget. But it is clear when one group is paying a lower percentage of taxes and making more money then something needs to be fixed.

I'm not asking you to write the tax code/budget. I'm asking you two simple questions.

Why can't you answer them?

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002

I'm not asking you to write the tax code/budget. I'm asking you two simple questions.

Why can't you answer them?

Because I have no idea how much money would come in if you changed the starting value of the top bracket by 10% or if you increased the tax rate by 15 on the top braket. As a starting point I would make the tax rate be porportional (personal income)/(total income of everyone filing) and scale it as needed

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000

You think the rich should pay more taxes, but you have no idea what constitutes being rich.

Not only can you cannot define what being rich is, you have no idea what the rich should pay.

Why don't you get back to when you've set aside your hatred and class envy and have thought through things logically.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002

You think the rich should pay more taxes, but you have no idea what constitutes being rich.

Not only can you cannot define what being rich is, you have no idea what the rich should pay.

Why don't you get back to when you've set aside your hatred and class envy and have thought through things logically.

So you think 12% is a good tax rate for the richest of americians? What percent taxes including SS does some one making the median amount of income pay?

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000

So you think 12% is a good tax rate for the richest of americians? What percent taxes including SS does some one making the median amount of income pay?

You're the one that's asserting that the rich don't pay enough tax.

Surely, you must have some idea what a rich person is and how much tax they should pay.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002

Surely, you must have some idea what a rich person is and how much tax they should pay.

I have Ideas I just don''t know the numbers I do know that bush tax cuts for the rich where bad. Escpecially his change to capitiol gains and dividens tax.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000

I have Ideas I just don''t know the numbers I do know that bush tax cuts for the rich where bad. Escpecially his change to capitiol gains and dividens tax.

You have to actually pay taxes to get a tax cut.

Did you know that the bigger child credit in thwe Bush plan excused many more parents with higher, but still modest, incomes from paying any federal income tax whatsoever?

A married couple with two young children would have to earn more than $38,150 to owe the IRS (up from $32,150 under the previous rules). A single parent with a young child would have to earn at least $22,100 (up from $19,100).

Gee, I guess the tax cuts weren't only for the "rich".