Kerrys Paid Just 12% in Federal Income Taxes in 2003

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Kerrys Paid Just 12% in Federal Income Taxes in 2003
Massachusetts Senator paid skimpy tax bill despite calls for rich to "pay their share"

WASHINGTON, D.C. - John Kerry has repeatedly called for increasing taxes on the "wealthy" so the affluent "pay their fair share" for the "common good." Ironically, John and Theresa Heinz Kerry, who comprise one the richest families in the world, pay relatively little income tax.

Last year, John Kerry and his wife paid just 12% of their combined income in income taxes, despite their assertion that the rich should contribute increased amounts to government coffers. In contrast, President and Mrs. Bush, who had a substantially lower income than the Kerry's, paid over 28% in taxes.

"John Kerry wants other Americans to pay higher taxes while he and his wife manage to pay a rate lower than most of the middle class," said ATR President Grover Norquist. "Apparently, the Kerrys think everyone else should pay higher taxes but them."

In addition to finding loopholes and write-offs to decrease his taxes, John Kerry has declined to pay a small, voluntary tax in his home state. The Massachusetts state income tax code contains a provision allowing payers to contribute an extra .6% of their income to benefit the commonwealth. Kerry has consistently failed to pay the extra money, which would have amounted to $687 dollars last year.

"John Kerry thinks other hardworking Americans should pay more taxes while he and his billionaire wife pay as little as possible," continued Norquist. "The hypocrisy John Kerry shows on his own tax return is not indicative of the character and judgment America needs in our President."

Link

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Originally posted by: lordtyranus
Let the fun begin. Unless this is locked, of course.

Why in the hell would this be locked? Ah, the conditioned response to anything that opposes the liberal agenda. Just lock it! Ban it! Let's only talk about Pro-Kerry ideas here.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
There's no reason why this would be locked. I am genuinely interested to see what some of the Kerry supporters here have to say about this (assuming it's true.)

lordtyranus

Banned
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Rob9874

Why in the hell would this be locked? Ah, the conditioned response to anything that opposes the liberal agenda. Just lock it! Ban it! Let's only talk about Pro-Kerry ideas here.

B..B..But Kerry's income is only $143000! He's quite poor, you obviously need at least $200000 to be a rich man.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
Kerry had adjusted gross income of $395,338 last year - modest when compared to Cheney and Bush. On top of a salary of $147,818 as a senator, Kerry reported a capital gain of nearly $146,000 from his share of the $1.35-million sale last year of a painting by Dutch seascape artist Adam Willaerts. The painting had been purchased for $1-million in 1996.

Among the $43,650 in cash given to charities last year by Kerry, who served in the Vietnam war, $25,000 went to New England shelters for homeless veterans. Kerry's book, A Call to Service, generated $89,000 last year. He paid $90,575 in federal income taxes. His tax return was handled by Federal Street Capital Partners in Boston.

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/04...eturns_show_Chen.shtml

Your source (without any number or proof) is anything but unbiased. It is an anti-tax lobby group. I wonder who they support in this race? Would it be the guy that is bankrupting the treasury with three tax cuts to the wealthy?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Riprorin
Topic Title: Kerrys Paid Just 12% in Federal Income Taxes in 2003
Massachusetts Senator paid skimpy tax bill despite calls for rich to "pay their share"

Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
There's no reason why this would be locked. I am genuinely interested to see what some of the Kerry supporters here have to say about this (assuming it's true.)

The Title is completely biased and Partisan.

This has nothing to do specifically with so called "Kerry Supporters".

Thank you for posting a thread that does however specifically address the Rich Elitist's problem that is rampant in this Country especially in the Political arena.

You can take to the Bank that Bush and his family also only pays 12% or maybe even less as well. In the case of the Fearless Liar you will only see what they allow to be seen, I'm sure the Lion's share of their income is well laundered from public view.

lordtyranus

Banned
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Todd33
Kerry had adjusted gross income of $395,338 last year - modest when compared to Cheney and Bush. On top of a salary of $147,818 as a senator, Kerry reported a capital gain of nearly $146,000 from his share of the $1.35-million sale last year of a painting by Dutch seascape artist Adam Willaerts. The painting had been purchased for $1-million in 1996.

Among the $43,650 in cash given to charities last year by Kerry, who served in the Vietnam war, $25,000 went to New England shelters for homeless veterans. Kerry's book, A Call to Service, generated $89,000 last year. He paid $90,575 in federal income taxes. His tax return was handled by Federal Street Capital Partners in Boston.

Your source (without any number or proof) is anything but unbiased. It is an anti-tax lobby group. I wonder who they support in this race? Would it be the guy that is bankrupting the treasury with three tax cuts to the wealthy?

Some more numbers.

http://www.johnkerry.com/press...ses/pr_2004_0511b.html

Heinz Kerry pays 32% of her taxable income to the government. However, over 50% of her income is tax-exempt, and including that, she pays 15% of her income.

As I detailed earlier, Kerry pays 22% of his income. They file seperately.

Cheney
The Cheney's pay 31% of their income in taxes, and donate another 39% to charity.

According to your own source Bush gave 28% of his income.

I'm sure the Lion's share of their income is well laundered from public view.
You have any evidence of this? Or are you just spouting drivel again?

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999

Does your source include Kerry's wife's income?

Now, I see your second source, which proves the OP's statement. Theresa made $5,115,000 last year, and paid $587,000 in federal taxes. That's 11.4%.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
Is Kerry's wife running for something? Did Bush's include his daddies money which he will inherent which he made off the defense industry?

csf

Banned
Aug 5, 2001
Is Kerry's wife running for something? Did Bush's include his daddies money which he will inherent which he made off the defense industry?

Well she seems to act like it, judging by the heaps of self-satisfying grandstanding in her DNC speech.

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Is Kerry's wife running for something?

No, but the OP's article states, "Last year, John Kerry and his wife paid just 12% of their combined income in income taxes." So you can't disprove the article by only mentioning Kerry's income without his wife's.

And didn't I say earlier you were getting on my nerves?

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
Bill Gates and I average $20 Billion in combined assets. Can you disprove this?

It's typical Rip crap, from right wing sources with no merit. It's dribble for people looking for reasons to hate Kerry. I'm just ashamed for falling for it and replying.

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999

It's typical Rip crap, from right wing sources with no merit. It's dribble for people looking for reasons to hate Kerry. I'm just ashamed for falling for it and replying.

drivel

\Driv"el\, n.

1. Slaver; saliva flowing from the mouth.

2. Inarticulate or unmeaning utterance; foolish talk; babble

Gravity

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003

Bush will pay inheritance tax when he inherits. You want him to pay in advance? Hm? Doesn't seem that anything will satisfy you Todd.

No Kerry's wife isn't running but perhaps, like normal americans, they should file jointly instead of shirking their responsibilities as tax payers.

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999

You and Bill Gates don't share a household or assets. Why doesn't the Kerry household pay the same amount in taxes as he wants "the wealthy" to pay? Do you think he will let $2.5M of his household income of $5M go to federal taxes?? I doubt that.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Is he married to his dad or something? Dont bother answering. The point is they(Kerry + Wife) are not walking the walk when they are clearly talking the talk.

It sounds to me like at least the VP is paying over 30% of his income in taxes. So why or how can Kerry + Wife make about 5.8 million and pay 12% of that to taxes?

Also if I remember correctly Bush never once made a war about this while Kerry has. I even remember Bush saying there are too many loopholes that need to be closed before any real taxes will be levied fully on the rich. Funny thing is his opponent is apparently using those loopholes.

lordtyranus

Banned
Aug 23, 2004

My source was Kerry's own website.

vanln

Aug 1, 2002
Give Kerry a break, he need to sneak some tax money to rebuy his Purple Hearts medals.
You don't expect a senator make a strip dance in front of a rich wife for money

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
The Title is completely biased and Partisan.
You are joking, right? Do I need to point out some of your posts and thier "non-partisan' subtitles?

Like this:

Jeb Bush Defies Court Order, P...igible Nadar on Ballot
Of course Fearless Liar's Brother would break own State's Law - Update 9-15 Judge Orders Nader Name Off Florida Ballot

This has nothing to do specifically with so called "Kerry Supporters".
True, but I am still curious as to how they will react to this. Will they see the possibly hypocrisy or try and rationalize and defend? Kerry is attempting to portray himslef as the "working man's" candidate and gloss over the fact that he is 1000x richer than the typical voter. To me, he is every bit a "rich elitist" as the Bush cabinet..

Thank you for posting a thread that does however specifically address the Rich Elitist's problem that is rampant in this Country especially in the Political arena.

You can take to the Bank that Bush and his family also only pays 12% or maybe even less as well. In the case of the Fearless Liar you will only see what they allow to be seen, I'm sure the Lion's share of their income is well laundered from public view.
Hmm.. All i can say is that at least the OP posted a link that supported his assertion, as opposed to making wild speculations under the guise of "I'm sure that.."

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Umm.... if Kerry paid 12% in taxes, how is that an attack on his character as opposed to the way that the tax system is designed. I paid 0% in taxes last year. Damn I'm a greedy bastard.

If Kerry says the rich need to pay more tax, it's directly hurting himself. That sounds like a noble man.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Uhmm.. George Bush should be held accountable for the money he wastes in our government too - LET US START WITH $200,000,000,000 in Iraq ;)

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: TuxDave
Umm.... if Kerry paid 12% in taxes, how is that an attack on his character as opposed to the way that the tax system is designed. I paid 0% in taxes last year. Damn I'm a greedy bastard.

If Kerry says the rich need to pay more tax, it's directly hurting himself. That sounds like a noble man.

BINGO

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Originally posted by: dahunan

BINGO

Nothing like leading by example. The Bush's pay their fair share and the Kery's don't.

Another disengenuous Democrat. What a surprise.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Kerry says the rich should pay more, so why didn't he? He and his wife are among the wealthiest people in this country - and yet they made certain to take every deduction possible.

If he truly believed that the rich should pay more, and wasn't simply saying it as a political maneuver, he would have declined those voluntary tax deductions. It's an attack on his character because it shows his hypocrisy.