Kerry's choice for VP Vice President

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: digitalsm
For those suggesting, Kerry-McCain.

It isnt going to happen. McCain is a vet of 'nam as well, as you all know. Theres also the thing, about he doesnt like playing second fiddle.

I don't see it happening either because McCain would all but have to switch parties. Plus, I think he is up for reelection in the Senate this year.
Slate has an interesting article posing this question.
Could Kerry Pick McCain for VP?

Kerry and McCain do appear to be friends and McCain defended Kerry against someone who attacked Kerry for opposing the Vietnam war.
McCain defends Kerry, calls detractor 'dispicable'

I think it is a SMART idea for Kerry's camp to float these ideas out there. It makes them appear willing to be bipartisan and hopefully attract independents. Never say never but McCain would really have to believe that GWB will lose and I don't think he does. I do think if Kerry were to win, he may ask McCain to be sec. of defense or something like that.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
I'm not a Graham fan.

Hell, I'm not even a Democrat.

But my observation is that if Kerry was matched with Edwards, and if they received the Southern Boost
that may accompany an Edwards selection, and were to capatalize on the energy of Edwards, and be
able to run a clean campain devoid of personal attacks and character assinations, facing honestly the
problems that actually do exist in this country, and can contain the preaching of fear and paranoia that
has guided their opposition since 9-11, they would offer a continuity of leadership if Kerry were to
complete 2 terms as President and actually demonstrate a cult of personality in leadership.

Clinton (The Pointer not Clinton the Sitter) cannot run as a Vice Presidential candidate, as the law
clearly states that any person runing for vice president must able to hold the office that no other
laws, rules, or regulations prohibit him from running for that higher office. 2 term limit - only in Hati.
Hillary ? No, even though she is a smart woman, there is too much Conservative hatred of her to risk the ticket.

There has only been 1 Vice President elected into the Presidency as a direct linage in my lifetime,
and that was Bush-1 following Reagan the Magnificent. Bonzo could have won against Dukakis.
Even with Mr. Potato(e) head tied behind his back.

Roosevelt to Truman - No, Roosevelt croaked.
Not Eisenhower, Nixon was too disliked
Kennedy to Johnson - no, Kennedy went to Dallas.
Johnson didn't run again, and in the middle of Viet Nam
the country switched to Nixon.
Then Resident Ford, who flopped.
Carter, who was plagued by a cloud of Republican Locusts
Then Reagan - Twice, then Bush-1.
No encore for Bush-1, read his lips.
Clinton
Gore - Oh wait, he won, but the prize was awarded to 2nd place that year.
Anyone seriously think that Cheney would be voted to the presidency ?
Even on a cold day in hell.
Maybe Jeb Hussein, or Tom 'The Muscle' DeLay (French ?) as a substitute running mate if the quicksand gets deeper.

Kerry and Edwards might just present a united front that would offer some leadership skills, and appeal to a future
where there just might be an element of continuity to their platform. That's a formitable threat to the GOP.
Imagine not being able to push people around and - punishing them for being free thinkers for a 16 year time span.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Kerry needs Florida and another Southern state.. Tenn and or Arkansas to win.. So it follows that he'll pick a running mate that will secure a win not gamble on some low potential yield. For that reason he will select a strong speaker with credentials who can lambaste the VP into blather.. assuming they debate. There is no minority face that fits that bill on all accounts.. IMO. Clark or Kerrey will be his choice. I think, as I did last year, that Kerrey could be a formidable presidential candidate in this war climate..