Kerry to be nominated as secretary of state

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
http://news.msn.com/politics/media-reports-kerry-to-be-nominated-as-secretary-of-state

So this should make MA politics a little bit more interesting, will be curious to see who the Dems try to put up as a candidate and if Scott Brown runs on the Republican side again...

I kept hoping this would happen but wasn't sure if they would want to risk opening up a senate seat in MA so close to a major election here.

Much better choice than Rice IMHO and thankfully will get someone different in for representing MA.

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000
Do not want. He needs to stay in the Senate.

We've been spoiled for years by having 2 senators with plenty of seniority & pull, now we'll have 2 freshman at the bottom...

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I think the Brown threat is overstated. He lost by over 7 points and they have Deval Patrick ready to go (given his closeness with the White House I expect they arranged to have him run before offering State to Kerry).

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000
I truly doubt Patrick will run for any seat in DC, his wife's health is a major consideration.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
I think the Brown threat is overstated. He lost by over 7 points and they have Deval Patrick ready to go (given his closeness with the White House I expect they arranged to have him run before offering State to Kerry).

Its my believe that if it wasn't for the union machine here in MA Brown wouldn't have lost, the Dems really stepped it up this time as they were committed to getting the seat back and as everyone that lives here unions carry a lot of weight.

Can't see them having anyone currently that would be a real contender to Brown in a special election given that the guy is already a household name...but who knows, he might not want to run again given he is just coming off of a campaign.

Regardless who runs I am banking on anyone being better than Kerry as he to me represents everything that is wrong with politics in this country and more specifically this state.

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000
Kerry will probably be confirmed.
Of course he will, the GOP wants him out of the Senate, they want a chance to get Scott Brown into that seat.

It may have been a major part of the impetus to reject Susan Rice.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I like John Kerry, I thought the bullshit thrown at him in 2004 was abominable. Really reprehensible lies about a veteran.

I voted for him.

I hope he becomes SoS

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Seems like Obama didn't really want to have to take Kerry as SoS, more like he was backed into it by the Rice fiasco.

But Kerry does have a lot of relationships with foreign leaders so maybe he'll have more stature and influence than Rice could have.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Of course he will, the GOP wants him out of the Senate, they want a chance to get Scott Brown into that seat.

It may have been a major part of the impetus to reject Susan Rice.

I have no doubt it was a major reason. I mean they offered the private meeting off the record between Susan Rice and John McCain, Lindsey Graham (and a couple others?) as a peace offering to be a clear the air moment.

Did anyone really doubt that the only outcome would be those Senators coming out even harder against Susan Rice? It was off the record therefore even if she offered a totally unquestionable explanation for her statements no one would know.

One seat could make a big difference and Republicans play politics like this better than their Democratic counterparts.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I like John Kerry, I thought the bullshit thrown at him in 2004 was abominable. Really reprehensible lies about a veteran.

I agree with you on this. Character assassination pure and simple. What's worse was that it was in favor of someone who found a place in the reserves.

Which back during that conflict was a virtual guarantee of not seeing combat. Veterans who savaged one of their own for politics. I don't have the words to express my disgust over that.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Does this mean we're going to have to hear about his three purple hearts every time he opens his mouth?

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Does this mean we're going to have to hear about his three purple hearts every time he opens his mouth?

Agreed as long as we don't have to listen to Swift Boat Veterans for selling out to Political Stupidity we can go without listening hearing about Purple Hearts.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Agreed as long as we don't have to listen to Swift Boat Veterans for selling out to Political Stupidity we can go without listening hearing about Purple Hearts.

The guy got a purple heart for a splinter, it's just not something to be proud of. He used his position and some very minor wounds to get out of Vietnam. I don't blame him for that, but he needs to shut up about it. Trying to convert very minor injury's into war hero status is contemptible.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
this will herald a new age in US Diplomacy... foreign leaders will agree to anything Secretary Kerry asks of them, just to get him to shut the fuck up and stop droning on.

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
I agree with you on this. Character assassination pure and simple. What's worse was that it was in favor of someone who found a place in the reserves.

Which back during that conflict was a virtual guarantee of not seeing combat. Veterans who savaged one of their own for politics. I don't have the words to express my disgust over that.

The swift boat stuff probably did go too far, but your statement is ironic considering that Kerry got his political start slandering his fellow solders before Congress in the worst way imaginable. He has even admitted much of what he said was not true.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Given all the other options being cited, I think its very premature to assume Kerry is a shoe in for Sec of State.

Sooner or later Obama must nominate some one to replace Hillary, until then why speculate?

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
The guy got a purple heart for a splinter, it's just not something to be proud of. He used his position and some very minor wounds to get out of Vietnam. I don't blame him for that, but he needs to shut up about it. Trying to convert very minor injury's into war hero status is contemptible.

Likewise slandering a person's service because you don't like his politics in favor of a person who's "lucky break" of getting into the national guard.

The swift boat stuff probably did go too far, but your statement is ironic considering that Kerry got his political start slandering his fellow solders before Congress in the worst way imaginable. He has even admitted much of what he said was not true.

Apparently he slandered himself then....

http://hnn.us/articles/3552.html

And you know what. That Swift Boat stuff did go too far.... ain't no probably about it. If you think there is any doubt about that character assassination group going too far. God help you.

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Likewise slandering a person's service because you don't like his politics in favor of a person who's "lucky break" of getting into the national guard.

Apparently he slandered himself then....

http://hnn.us/articles/3552.html

And you know what. That Swift Boat stuff did go too far.... ain't no probably about it. If you think there is any doubt about that character assassination group going too far. God help you.

I never mentioned his politics, and I never mentioned Bush. Those are both constructs you made up.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I never mentioned his politics, and I never mentioned Bush. Those are both constructs you made up.

Sorry but you answered in response to my remarks about the SBV Bush and politics are involved. Simply by the fact of who they were helping with their character assassination of John Kerry in 2004.

Yeah Bush never ran for and became President. I just made that up. :rolleyes:

You don't want want me to talk about them? Then don't bring up "oh John Kerry talks about his Purple Hearts too much" drivel. Simple enough.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
We have plenty to run against Brown. Although he isn't a bad guy. I'd bet he'd distance himself from the right even more on a second run. Dems in MA currently have a Kennedy, Barney Frank and potentially Deval.
Personally I'd love to see Frank/Warren beat the crap out of bankers.