Kerry promises that he would "lift the ban on stem-cell research"

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
The stem-cell movement has become political. "Three years ago, the president enacted a far-reaching ban on stem-cell research," Kerry asserted in his radio address. Repeating a pledge made by Hillary Clinton at the Democratic convention, Kerry promised twice that he would "lift the ban on stem-cell research." But no such ban exists. Embryonic stem-cell research is unrestricted in the private sector. State and local governments can fund it as they wish. The federal government spent nearly $200 million on adult stem-cell research last year and nearly $25 million on research involving the roughly 20 approved embryonic lines. As today's Washington Post observes, what Bush actually did was "to allow, for the first time, the use of federal funds" for embryonic stem-cell research.

Why does Kerry call it a "ban on stem-cell research" instead of a ban on federal funding of embryonic stem-cell lines derived after Aug. 9, 2001? Because the shorter phrase, while scientifically inaccurate in four egregious ways, is more politically effective.

Slate Article

Pers

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
and that right there, is enough reason to dismiss all of bush's lies and faults and vote republican. thank you moron.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
Symantecs. There are limits to federal funds. He will abolish them. Move on, nothing to see here.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
I would say your grasping at straws here but that would overstate the importance of what you uncovered.

Kibbo

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2004
Why does Kerry call it a "ban on stem-cell research" instead of a ban on federal funding of embryonic stem-cell lines derived after Aug. 9, 2001? Because the shorter phrase, while scientifically inaccurate in four egregious ways, is more politically effective.

That's because the legislation will effectively dry up the supply of materials needed for federally-funded stem cell research. This would in effect end federally funded stem-cell research. Since the federal government is the primary funder of "pure" scientific research, this would effectively end "pure" stem-cell research when the supply dries up.

No, it does not actually ban the research. But it does effectively end it. The distinction will be very fine for the majority of voters, in my opinion.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Kibbo

That's because the legislation will effectively dry up the supply of materials needed for federally-funded stem cell research. This would in effect end federally funded stem-cell research. Since the federal government is the primary funder of "pure" scientific research, this would effectively end "pure" stem-cell research when the supply dries up.

No, it does not actually ban the research. But it does effectively end it. The distinction will be very fine for the majority of voters, in my opinion.

Thank you for the clear and logical explaination. Now I wait for the responce....

:)

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
" Symantecs. There are limits to federal funds. He will abolish them. Move on, nothing to see here"

well put

another brainless rip post...next..

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Riprorin
The stem-cell movement has become political. "Three years ago, the president enacted a far-reaching ban on stem-cell research," Kerry asserted in his radio address. Repeating a pledge made by Hillary Clinton at the Democratic convention, Kerry promised twice that he would "lift the ban on stem-cell research." But no such ban exists. Embryonic stem-cell research is unrestricted in the private sector. State and local governments can fund it as they wish. The federal government spent nearly $200 million on adult stem-cell research last year and nearly $25 million on research involving the roughly 20 approved embryonic lines. As today's Washington Post observes, what Bush actually did was "to allow, for the first time, the use of federal funds" for embryonic stem-cell research.

Slate Article

Ok. So you are bashing Kerry for using a "politically" charged phrase rather than the complete truth. At least he didn't send our troops off to a foriegn country to die for a lie. Honestly, if you are going to bash Kerry 24/7 at least have some good material.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Spencer278
I would say your grasping at straws here but that would overstate the importance of what you uncovered.

If there wee no Straws to grasp, certain people would have nothing to post. ;)

irwincur

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2002
Since this entire argument started three years back embryonic stem cell research has basically become obsolete. There are now three different ways of reaching the same conclusions - umbilcal cord blood and adult stem cell cultivation. Neither of them require us to 'breed' embryo's and farm them for their stem cells. Although I am not a huge pro lifer I do see this as being kind of questionable.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: irwincur
Since this entire argument started three years back embryonic stem cell research has basically become obsolete. There are now three different ways of reaching the same conclusions - umbilcal cord blood and adult stem cell cultivation. Neither of them require us to 'breed' embryo's and farm them for their stem cells. Although I am not a huge pro lifer I do see this as being kind of questionable.

This is true.

What really would be restored is the Federal funding to the University system which has been shut down thanks to the Religious Nut and his equally nutty wife.

Darkhawk28

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2000
Like the First Lady has more knowledge about Stem Cell research than thousands of doctors and scientists. That's really a laugh. How arrogant of her. Makes me ill.

Mrs. Bush, here's a bit of advice for you.... actually READ what the research is all about. If you did, you'd realize that your arguments have zero, NONE, NADA, NIENTE merit. Quit catering to the right-wing whackos so your husband can get their vote and think of how many millions of people this research can help in the next 10-20 years. But helping people isn't a priority it seems.

Edit: It makes me sick that this, of all things, should be a partisan issue.

Zephyr106

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
Originally posted by: irwincur

So those fertility clinics are kind of questionable when they breed thousands of zygotes (babies) just for some arrogant infertile couple? Sometimes these petri dish babies are for gay couples!

Zephyr

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
Don't ever take science lessons from people who want to teach the Adam and Eve fable as scientific fact..

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Hafen
Originally posted by: Kibbo

Thank you for the clear and logical explaination. Now I wait for the responce....

:)

As usual, Rip trolls and does not reply. I've said it before and I've said it again, he is no better than any other troll and should be permabanned, drawed and quartered.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Darkhawk28
Like the First Lady has more knowledge about Stem Cell research than thousands of doctors and scientists. That's really a laugh. How arrogant of her. Makes me ill.

It's odd she has become the administration's point person on this issue (I guess because her father suffered from Alzheimer's).

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: FuzzyBee
Originally posted by: DonVito
As far as I can see she is better at politicking than at driving, but only just.

Now *that's* the high-brow comments I love to hear from the left!

:roll:

I think you mean "those are." I can't see that this is any worse than the conservatives who persist in calling Sen Kennedy "swimmer." OTOH, I guess two wrongs don't make a right, and I will retract my comment about her fatal accident.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Riprorin
Because the Federal government is the largest potential source of funds for worthy research in this field, and because limiting funding rof this research to the relatively small group of stem lines already allowed is like telling the researchers that, if they accept funds under these conditions, they can only continue down a straight, narrow road and while wearing blinders. That is not the way ground breaking scientific research works.

In other words, all Bush is willing to fund is relatively useless efforts which is, for all intents and purposes, banning funding on meaningful stem cell research.

Rip -- I do have to wonder why you're pursuing this particular point since recent surveys indicate that even a strong majority of conservative Republican voters favor expanding stem cell research, and last month 58 senators from both parties asked the President to do so.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: FuzzyBee
As far as I can see she is better at politicking than at driving, but only just.

Now *that's* the high-brow comments I love to hear from the left!

:roll:

I think you mean "those are." I can't see that this is any worse than the conservatives who persist in calling Sen Kennedy "swimmer." OTOH, I guess two wrongs don't make a right, and I will retract my comment about her fatal accident.

No comparison between this and Chappaquiddick, if that's what you're referring to.

Hmmm... perhaps mild-mannered FuzzyBee will have to step into a phone booth soon to change into his alter-ego - GrammarCop.