KERBAL FINALLY FINISHED!! Version 1.00 OUT NOW!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
They did NOT add any planets or moons.

The pilots now have specialties, and if you bring a scientist with you its possible to get 100% of your science into the research center. Engineers can fix things. Pilots give stability assistance.

Meaning those tiny vessels with only one astronaut wont be able to do everything. Same with unmanned probes.

A couple new technologies, like flat fuel containers you can put almost anywhere. Lots more variety in the Contracts. And the team claims they will keep adding new features over time.

:D

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
awesome :)

Have not played for some time as I was waiting for it to stop changing :)

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
What about the ore?

What can you do as far as space stations and planetary and moon colonies?

Mar 10, 2005
wooooooo!

42L5XPM.gif

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
What about the ore?

What can you do as far as space stations and planetary and moon colonies?

There were ore containers in the tech tree.

Theres stuff to make what could be colonies, but I really didnt get the impression that was a priority in the game. All the missions were about going somewhere and maybe bringing stuff back. Nothing about settling.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK, it is not only possible to burn up on reentry, but pretty god damn easy too.

The nuclear engine now only needs liquid fuel.

It it possible to convert liquid fuel to electricity.

The nuclear generator is now WAY up high on the tech tree.

If theres atmosphere, you can scoop some of it for liquid fuel and oxidizer. That requires super advanced tech.

Last edited:

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
The load times have been greatly reduced for me.

You need a polar orbit to scan with the big orbital scanner, and you send it back by an antenna. Then when you go into the Space Center, there is a third button on the right which shows an overlay of where ore was found. They really need to expand this to encompass biomes also, instead of having to go check a website.

I'm not a huge fan of the aerodynamics; especially the 'shake' which almost made me sea-sick. Forget about slamming on the power to Mainsails in space too... you will rip apart a ship. No idea why because there is no air in space, yet it seems like that was reworked.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The load times have been greatly reduced for me.

You need a polar orbit to scan with the big orbital scanner, and you send it back by an antenna. Then when you go into the Space Center, there is a third button on the right which shows an overlay of where ore was found. They really need to expand this to encompass biomes also, instead of having to go check a website.

I'm not a huge fan of the aerodynamics; especially the 'shake' which almost made me sea-sick. Forget about slamming on the power to Mainsails in space too... you will rip apart a ship. No idea why because there is no air in space, yet it seems like that was reworked.

High-G will now rip ships apart. It didnt before. Just like you didnt used to be able to burn up in atmosphere.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
They now have a short solid booster.

In fact thats all you start with in career mode. Luckily its got decent fuel for its size and is a good bargain for the price.

I was wrong about buildings. They dont automatically get better as your career progresses. YOU have to pay money for upgrades. The level one assembly building can only handle basic ships with 30 parts or less, and no action groups. The basic astronaut barracks can only hold 5 kerbals. The level 1 admin can only handle a couple of contracts. Level 1 mission control lets you have basic missions and only a couple at a time. Level 1 tracking center has only basic functions.

Astronauts go up in level as you use them more. So getting them killed is now a real problem.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
This is going to be a major pain in the butt to play this game again sometime. Oh well dealing with high g and atmosphere burn up still seems like far less work than calculating trajectories and orbital transfers.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Bought it, did the first tutorial, went to career mode, headed to the hangar, and everything was greyed out. Couldn't do anything except change the name of my craft. Bug?

makwy2

Sep 3, 2010
I am quite excited to hear this. I hope that they continue to add content and polish to this game and let the (very) active community add their own flavors and content as well! INTO SPACE!

Mar 10, 2005
Bought it, did the first tutorial, went to career mode, headed to the hangar, and everything was greyed out. Couldn't do anything except change the name of my craft. Bug?

i didn't get that. starting in career mode, you're limited to the capsule, basic parachute, the smallest tank, a single engine, and that's about it. if you complete contracts for testing parts you score science and cash but you don't unlock the parts for regular use.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

You can only make the most basic of crafts. Right click on a part, see if theres a purchase initially option down at the bottom the tab.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
The parts are now definitely way more wobbly where even a simple 1.25m orbital rocket almost falls apart on the pad swaying in the wind. Also there's a serious problem with SAS logic, it cannot manage to stabilize even a bare capsule in space without vibrating at ludicrous speed and draining the battery in about 3 seconds. Waiting on a patch or mods to fix. Otherwise, woo hoo.

ViperXX

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2001
Anyone else having issues mating engines to fuel tanks after moving up the tech tree a couple steps. I've moved past the solid booster basic engines and am using liquid fuel and I can't get the engine to mate with the fuel tank.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Bought this early access many years ago and am now picking it up again after a few years.

Anyone got any tips for how to earn science in career mode. I did the basic stuff (e.g., EVA report with a single capsule early on, etc.). But after that (and countless (unsuccessful) flights), I can't seem to earn any more.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Bought this early access many years ago and am now picking it up again after a few years.

Anyone got any tips for how to earn science in career mode. I did the basic stuff (e.g., EVA report with a single capsule early on, etc.). But after that (and countless (unsuccessful) flights), I can't seem to earn any more.

Right there on the pad you can do, crew report, eva report, temperature (twice for 100 percent), barometric pressure, materials bay, mystery goo, and some others.

Then do it ALL over again while in flight slightly above land. Again in flight above water.
Again on land in the highlands, in the mountains, the desert, the polar region.

All over again in orbit.

That right there is about a thousand science points.

Then do the same thing on each Mun biome. Another 2 thousand science.

Its actually kind of a slow grind when you think about it.

Eventually you will be making massive ships with 10 of each science module so you can do 5 biomes at a time, completely.

Minmus and the other space bodies do not have multiple biomes, so it gets easier eventually.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Right there on the pad you can do, crew report, eva report, temperature (twice for 100 percent), barometric pressure, materials bay, mystery goo, and some others.

Then do it ALL over again while in flight slightly above land. Again in flight above water.
Again on land in the highlands, in the mountains, the desert, the polar region.

All over again in orbit.

That right there is about a thousand science points.

Then do the same thing on each Mun biome. Another 2 thousand science.

Its actually kind of a slow grind when you think about it.

Eventually you will be making massive ships with 10 of each science module so you can do 5 biomes at a time, completely.

Minmus and the other space bodies do not have multiple biomes, so it gets easier eventually.

How hard is inflight docking? Have you done any orbital assemblies yet?

Have not used the selfpiloting of the kerbals yet but my major problem right now is aligning the orbital transfer to somewhere like the Mun. I can get the spaceship trajectory to go out that far but how am I going to get the orbital transfer to cross the Mun orbit right when the Mun is at the same location as when the spacecraft is crossing?

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I want to see someone re-create the Interstellar docking scene in this game.

With the music, obvs.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
How hard is inflight docking? Have you done any orbital assemblies yet?

Have not used the selfpiloting of the kerbals yet but my major problem right now is aligning the orbital transfer to somewhere like the Mun. I can get the spaceship trajectory to go out that far but how am I going to get the orbital transfer to cross the Mun orbit right when the Mun is at the same location as when the spacecraft is crossing?

Docking is pretty difficult when you are new to it. You will basically catch up to the object you want to dock with and zero out any velocity, so you are 'hanging' in space in the same orbit as it. Then you use RCS like you are playing Descent; up/down/left/etc to dock.

You need maneuver nodes to get an encounter with a body. Just draw out prograde until your path goes far enough, then grab the node circle and move it around your current orbit until you see an encounter.