Kepler virtualized GPU tech

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Graphics' started by thilanliyan, May 15, 2012.

1. thilanliyan

thilanliyan Diamond Member

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Kepler virtualized tech Forum Date
    Kepler, Maxwell, Pascal - Performance comparison from new drivers (353 -> 376) Video Cards and Graphics Jan 14, 2017
    Technical speculation- why has Kepler "aged badly"? Video Cards and Graphics Dec 19, 2016
    Implementing LiquidVR Affinity Multi-GPU support in Serious Sam VR Video Cards and Graphics Nov 7, 2016
    Why Doesn't Anyone Get to the Bottom of the Aging of Kepler and GCN? Video Cards and Graphics Mar 22, 2016
    Where does Kepler stand today? Video Cards and Graphics Dec 14, 2015

3. Anarchist420

Anarchist420 Diamond Member

I think it would be nice to see a virtualized Voodoo5 as well as a virtualized and modified Geforce FX with full speed FP32 shader precision and RGSS. The Geforce FX only had ordered grid and half speed FP32 pixel shader speed; the former especially sucked to me, and they had to use half precision fragment shaders so that people wouldn't bitch about low framerates.

4. lopri

lopri Elite Member

Very good initiative and huge kudos for NV. So looking forward to it. GPU virtualization will be immensely helpful for my computing need. I sincerely hope this technology comes to the desktop, not just for servers.

Edit: Well, on a second look it doesn't exactly is what I described above (Cloud..), but it's the same tech anyway. The magic will predominantly lie in the drivers for virtualization anyway.

#3 lopri, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
  5. Cerb

Cerb Elite Member

I always wondered why games didn't default to FP16. It was years before games came out who's shaders really needed the higher precision, and the FPS difference was substantial. Most could be forced to 16, and looked just fine.

Not sure why you'd want a GF FX virtualized, though. I'd rather just see old D3D features better supported, with compatibility code that was separated from modern performance code (IE, DX7/8/9->DX11 wrapper, adding compatibility-optimized code for features no longer existing in HW). High quality texture filtering and SSAA (I like 4xSGSSAA, when it works) or mixed MSAA+SSAA look great for old games, that still work, and unlike modern games, performs well enough. If you want better SSAA, and functionality not there anymore, just get an old Radeon, and the legacy Catalysts.

Now, a virtualized Voodoo 5, for a retro gaming rig, would be pretty damn neat.

#4 Cerb, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012