Kent State Audio Tape Released

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Kent State Audio Tape Released
By THOMAS J. SHEERAN, Associated Press Writer
2 hours ago

Alan Canfora holds a CD copy of a recording ...
KENT, Ohio - A static-filled recording of war protesters yelling, followed by a voice and gunfire, was released Tuesday by a survivor of the Kent State University shooting who claims the tape proves a military order was given to fire on demonstrators.

"The evidence speaks for itself," said Alan Canfora, 58, one of nine students wounded during the National Guard shooting. Four students were killed in the 1970 shootings, which followed several days of protests over the Vietnam War.

Canfora played two versions of the tape _ the original and an amplified version _ in which he says a Guard officer issues the command, "Right here! Get Set! Point! Fire!"

To the casual listener, the word "point" can be heard followed by the sound of shots being fired. There is no indication on the tape of who said the word.

The tape, played to a group of reporters and students at a small university theater, was given to Yale University for its Kent State archives in 1979 by an attorney who represented students in a lawsuit filed against the state over the shooting, Canfora said. He found out about the tape six months ago while researching the shooting.

Canfora said he will turn over copies of the tape to federal and state officials with an appeal to reopen the investigation over how the firing began.

"We're hoping for new investigations and new truths," he said. "We need truth, we need healing."

After the shooting, the FBI investigated whether an order had been given to fire and said it could only speculate. One theory was that a Guardsman panicked or fired intentionally at a student and that others fired when they heard the shot.

After an initial investigation, the case was reopened in 1973 when a grand jury indicted eight Guardsmen. They were acquitted of federal civil rights charges the next year.

Larry Shafer, a Guardsman who said he fired during the shootings and was among those charged, told the Kent-Ravenna Record-Courier newspaper Tuesday that he was unaware of the tape and that "point" would not have been part of a proper command.

"I never heard any command to fire. That's all I can say on that," said Shafer, a Ravenna city councilman and former fire chief. "That's not to say there may not have been, but with all the racket and noise, I don't know how anyone could have heard anything that day."

The reel-to-reel audio recording was made by a student who placed a microphone at a windowsill of a dormitory overlooking the anti-war rally, Canfora said. The student turned the tape over to the FBI, which kept a copy.

Stan Pottinger, who helped prosecute the Guardsmen when he was an assistant attorney general with the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Justice Department, said Tuesday from New York that he doubts anything was overlooked then.

He said he could not specifically recall the tape, but that audio recordings and film were carefully studied.

"I'm so curious about this," he said of a possible order to fire. "That was a major part of our effort."

But he said justice has been served.

"The Guardsmen were acquitted, the case was closed, the families expressed enormous gratitude for the reopening of the case, and that was it," he said.

But only a small portion of the tape was reviewed during various investigations, Canfora said.

Joseph Lewis, 55, of Scappoose, Ore., shot in the abdomen and ankle in 1970, joined Canfora at the news conference and said he believes the tape recorded a military command to fire.

"It sure sounds like an order to fire. On that day I did not hear an order to fire. I seem to hear one on this tape," Lewis said.

Scott Wilson, an FBI spokesman, said Tuesday that he was unaware of any request to look into the matter.

The Ohio National Guard had no comment on the tape's release, spokesman James Sims said Tuesday.

LINK

TheoPetro

Banned
Nov 30, 2004
almost may 4th. Seriously after 3 years here this thing has been beaten to death like crazy. I cant wait to hear all about this in the kent newspaper

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
What type of command is "point". A civilian?

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
"We're hoping for new investigations and new truths," he said. "We need truth, we need healing.

It's been 35 years, how much more healing do you need....guess somebody will be looking for $$$.

I also agree with EagleKeeper. WTF kind of command is "Point"

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Point could mean to aim. It could also mean someone that is leading a small group; "who's on point".

It could be so easy to take a audio recording like this out of context since the event happened so long ago. Biased, fuzzy memories could influence what someone hears on that recording.

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: Feldenak
"We're hoping for new investigations and new truths," he said. "We need truth, we need healing.

It's been 35 years, how much more healing do you need....guess somebody will be looking for $$$.

You don't think a National Guardsman under stress could say "point" instead of aim? Maybe "point" is more common in his Ohio dialect?

rml

Lifer
Jul 6, 2000
"Some said they wondered what would be achieved by releasing the tape so many years after the shootings." -- -that's also my question

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
Originally posted by: Feldenak

You don't think a National Guardsman under stress could say "point" instead of aim? Maybe "point" is more common in his Ohio dialect?

I grew up in Ohio, about an hour from Kent. Point is not another "term" for aim in any Ohio dialect I've ever heard.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Point could mean to aim. It could also mean someone that is leading a small group; "who's on point".

From the pictures I've seen, there was nobody "on point"

MedicBob

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2001
"Ready, aim, fire" has been ingrained in the US military for longer then there has been a USA. Under stress you would fall back on your training and what everyone else there is trained in. Just because the were Nat Gaurd troops doesn't mean they went to a different Boot Camp. They went to, and still do, the same boot camp as all Army soldiers go to.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
And 35 years later the lesson is still that it is a really bad idea to throw rocks and other objects at armed soldiers.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Linflas
And 35 years later the lesson is still that it is a really bad idea to throw rocks and other objects at armed soldiers.

Yep. In fact where did we just see this same thing? L.A. Of course, the officers there used less than lethal defense.

herbiehancock

May 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Linflas

Right............and so why, then, did the Gurardmen not fire on the small group of students closest to them that would have been throwing rocks at them? And of course, this firing took place over 10 minutes after the majority of the students had been dispursed and only a small group had "reformed" and some were, again, throwing rocks.......yep, rocks against bullets. About equal, don't you think?

But, back to my original question.......

The Guardsmen who shot at the students directed their fire not at the closest students, who were on the Taylor Hall veranda, but at those on the grass area and concrete walkway below the veranda, at those on the service road between the veranda and the parking lot, and at those in the parking lot. Bullets were not sprayed in all directions, but instead were confined to a fairly limited line of fire leading from the top of the hill to the parking lot........parking lot which was about 100 meters away.

A total of 67 bullets were fired. New York Times reporter stated that "it (the shooting) appeared to go on, as a solid volley, for perhaps a full minute or a little longer."

But, why care? These students were, as Govenor Rhodes called the protestors during a press conference on May 3rd, un-American and were revolutionaries set on destroying higher education in Ohio. "They're worse than the brownshirts and the communist element and also the nightriders and the vigilantes," Rhodes said. "They're the worst type of people that we harbor in America. I think that we're up against the strongest, well-trained, militant, revolutionary group that has ever assembled in America."

Just because they were protesting what they saw as a war we shouldn't be involved in in general, and more specifically protesting the American invasion of Cambodia which President Richard Nixon launched on April 25.....I'm sure they deserved to be shot, rocks or no rocks.

So tell me, how can throwing a rock kill someone? Maybe if one hits you in the head on a lucky throw, but since the Guardsmen all wore helmets, that avenue of death is out. About the worst is they can get maybe hurt.....but death from rock-throwing is not a viable argument.

And I'm sure someone will bring up the specious argument that people can indeed be killed by stoning, or throwing rocks. But that type of death is accomplished by burying the victim up to his/her neck and then rocks are thrown at the victim's head until death ensues....sometimes taking over a half-hour or longer. You'd think that the Guard would have had the common sense to withdraw rather than fire on unarmed civilians, despite rocks being thrown.

And did you know, the day before the shootings, a group of students went downtown to the original location of trouble in this 3-day long episode, and helped clean up the area?

And further, did you know the ORIGINAL disturbances (which started on May, 1) came from, not a bunch of students, but a group of intoxicated bikers who left a downtown Kent bar around midnight and began throwing beer bottles at cars and breaking downtown store fronts. In the process they broke a bank window which set off an alarm. The news spread quickly and it resulted in several bars closing early to avoid trouble.

And while I have to back and re-read to refresh my recollections of the incidents, I lived through it.....I was 16 then and it was horrifying to think that armed American soldiers would fire on unarmed American citizens.

Sad to remember it.....this the 37th anniversary of the Kent State Massacre.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
You'd think that the Guard would have had the common sense to withdraw rather than fire on unarmed civilians, despite rocks being thrown.

You mean you'd think the civilians would have had the sense to withdraw instead of throwing rocks at armed national guardsmen. Jesus.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Originally posted by: herbiehancockhorrifying to think that armed American soldiers would fire on unarmed American citizens.

But this is Anandtech where this kinda of stuff is considered 'cool'. Keep in mind these are the same people posting gun/knife pics threads and other Cho Seung-Hui style nonsense. But hey... whatever it takes to justify a miserable, worthless and violent existence.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: 43st
Originally posted by: herbiehancockhorrifying to think that armed American soldiers would fire on unarmed American citizens.

But this is Anandtech where this kinda of stuff is considered 'cool'. Keep in mind these are the same people posting gun/knife pics threads and other Cho Seung-Hui style nonsense. But hey... whatever it takes to justify a miserable, worthless and violent existence.

The national guard are soldiers, not police. They are trained to use lethal force, not to police college students getting out of control protesting. If you want to place blame then blame the civilian leadership that put a bunch of young kids in uniform in the position to police another bunch of kids their age calling them baby killers, fascists, and throwing rocks and other objects at them. Using the military for domestic policing is always a bad idea.