Kensington laptop lock

dirtylimey

Nov 22, 2006
Client lost the key to her kensington laptop lock which is currently locked into her D-Series Dell port replicator. She wanted me to 'order a master key' from Kensington. Yeah, right. Okay lady.

Anyway I tried the rolled up card trick to no avail, though it works on my slightly newer laptop lock at my desk. Someone suggested forcing in a key from another lock and turning it hard but the key for the lock at my desk is wider.

Anyone got any tips on shortcomings of the lock or the D-Series port replicator? Last thing i want to do is break it out, but I guess if thats my only option now..

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Aren't those those circle keys which any circle key works? Tell her to buy a new lock for $40, and she'll have her new key and two locks.

dirtylimey

Nov 22, 2006
Originally posted by: UncleWai
Angers at a product that does its job.... ok.....

QFT

Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Aren't those those circle keys which any circle key works? Tell her to buy a new lock for $40, and she'll have her new key and two locks.

They are tubular but the keys are different per lock due to little notches for the pins in the key, so unfortunately that wont work :(

dirtylimey

Nov 22, 2006
Originally posted by: NuAlphaMan
What's wrong with getting a master key or a duplicate?

Im not sure that Kensington are going to just hand me a master key (if they exist for these locks, which I would doubt) and how am i going to get a duplicate key without having the original? :p

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: dirtylimey
Originally posted by: UncleWai
Angers at a product that does its job.... ok.....

QFT

Originally posted by: RagingBITCH

They are tubular but the keys are different per lock due to little notches for the pins in the key, so unfortunately that wont work :(

Damn, that sucks. In that case, tell her to hire a locksmith to unlock it. :) Dumbass is as dumbass does. hehe. :)

In my past experience w/ Kensington locks, they've all been the same, guess the newer ones have changed.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: dirtylimey

Im not sure that Kensington are going to just hand me a master key (if they exist for these locks, which I would doubt) and how am i going to get a duplicate key without having the original? :p

These locks are not secure at all. There are only about 20 different "keys" for these type of locks. Keep buying locks until you get a key that works with your current one.

Either that, or do this (this kryptonite lock uses a very similar mechanism to what you're dealing with): http://www.wired.com/news/audio/quicktime/high/krypto_qt_hi.mov

dirtylimey

Nov 22, 2006
Nice research guys, didnt think they would give out master/replacement keys easily.

On a positive note, as an experiment i just yanked the pins out of a usb to PS/2 converter and that fits perfectly in my kensington laptop lock. Couple of twists and i had it open and closed. Agreed, they aren't secure at all.

Unfortunately the problem lock is slightly narrower and the pins seem to be jammed a little. So no luck with it on that. Unless anyone has any suggestions on the d series dock perhaps, ill just tell the client to contact the company locksmith and get charged for the lose.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
We had a PC Guardian lock malfunction recently while locked. The guy even had the key but it refused to work. PC Guardian sent out a locksmith to open it it free of charge, I have no idea how he did it though, I wasn't there when he came. Obviously Kensington is not going to send out a locksmith for some dumb lady losing her key, but they can open it.

dirtylimey

Nov 22, 2006
Originally posted by: FoBoT
tell her to find her key

She is stupid :(

Oh, using the USB/PS2 adapter (as shown here ) I can now open my newer laptop lock (here) and close it again quicker than using the key it came with. Kensington = owned.

ryan256

Platinum Member
Jul 22, 2005
Get a new lock that uses a combination instead. Then keep the combinations to whose lock written down somewhere.

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

Yeah kensington is just going to give you a key that will open ANY of their laptop locks? Theifs wetdream.

dirtylimey

Nov 22, 2006
Originally posted by: ryan256
Get a new lock that uses a combination instead. Then keep the combinations to whose lock written down somewhere.

Nice idea (seriously), but this is a global corporation with thousands upon thousands of employees and the infighting between separate IT departments is on par or at least a little worse than the faction infighting in Iraq :p Trying to pull together any kind of smart overall solution will just end in reels of red tape and a yes or no 4 years down the line :)

Anyway I told the lady to call maintenance. They will charge her $150 to open it up, then she will need to buy a new lock. Ftl

Though this experience has taught me that USB/PS2 adapters are quite handy.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Call a locksmith and see if he's got the means to open it (the 20 keys) and what he'll charge.