Keeping getting kicked off wifi

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bakaris, Sep 29, 2003.

1. bakaris

bakaris Member

hi,

i need some help here. i'm on a wireless network and i keep getting kicked off msn messenger, or my downloads periodically pause or whatnot. i'm no expert, but this tells me that there's flickers in the network. and it happens all the time. really annoying. happens to my roommates too. any way to get a more constant connection? two of us have a linksys pci wireless card, the other has an airport card. running winxp, win98 and mac osx10 repectively. need any more info?
    thanks for any suggestions. really, i need help here. i'm going out of my mind.

Mark

2. Eug

Eug Lifer

What hardware?

Sometimes locking it at 11 Mbps or locking it on a specific channel may help.

3. John

John Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member

[*]try a different channel
    [*]try leaving ssid broadcasting
    [*]enable 64-bit WEP at the very minimum
    [*]try updating the router firmware
    [*]if you have 802.11b then it's possible that microwaves and/or 2.4GHz cordless equipment could cause glitches

4. bakaris

bakaris Member

I'm almost positive that'd be it. there's tons of interference in the house. looks like it's time to upgrade. thanks for the info.

5. Slash621

Slash621 Member

my netgear 801.11b router does this to my Centrino powered laptop.. It really sucks, every 30 minutes i have to reset the router... anyone know what i should do? follow this guy's steps?

6. Confused

Confused Elite Member

Check your Wireless connection properties, see if you have "Enable 802.1x Authentication" enabled. If so, try turning it off, that caused my wireless clients to kick out every few minutes when it was on.

Confused