• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Info Keep your loved ones alive with olive oil

igor_kavinski

Jul 27, 2020
Consumption of Olive Oil and Risk of Total and Cause-Specific Mortality Among U.S. Adults - ScienceDirect

Conclusions

Higher olive oil intake was associated with lower risk of total and cause-specific mortality. Replacing margarine, butter, mayonnaise, and dairy fat with olive oil was associated with lower risk of mortality.
Especially older people might benefit a lot. It could improve their quality of life considerably. Lower risk of mortality means that overall body and organ damage is reduced significantly.

Torn Mind

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2012
Olive oil's good but the premium is insane and most olive oil is adulterated. It's not supposed to taste like a mild vegetable oil.

guidryp

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2006
Also note that this is an association study, not dietary intervention.

They are just looking at data from the Nurses’ Health Study, and Health Professionals Follow-up Study.

They just gave them food questionnaires once every 4 years. So what did you eat in the last 4 years?

Olive Oil has good propaganda for decades, so people who remember having it, are probably more health conscious in general, which can impact diet, exercise, weight management, not smoking, not drinking to excess.

Often food industry players pay to have data like this mined looking for positive associations...

crashtech

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2013
Olive oil is good, but butter is probably not bad, and might be good. The old incorrect info about butter and saturated fats being the devil has been largely debunked but is taking a long time to die. I think butter in particular has gotten a bad rap vs nasty margarine. I'm not going to post links because there is a lot of readily avaialble info on the subject, as long as old results are filtered out.

guidryp

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2006
Olive oil is good, but butter is probably not bad, and might be good. The old incorrect info about butter and saturated fats being the devil has been largely debunked but is taking a long time to die. I think butter in particular has gotten a bad rap vs nasty margarine. I'm not going to post links because there is a lot of readily avaialble info on the subject, as long as old results are filtered out.
No, butter didn't get a bad rap. The dairy industry just routinely funds bogus studies, to confuse the issue. Much like the Olive Oil industry funds studies like this one looking for good news.

Butter is large source of saturated fat.

Saturated Fat, raises LDL cholesterol (fact), it doesn't matter if that source is butter or coconut oil. It does the same thing. The higher your LDL, the worse your heart disease outcomes (fact).

Old Hard Margarine is also bad, because it's full of hydrogenated vegetable oil, which is effectively making an artificial saturated fat full of Trans Fats, also raises LDL, just like real saturated fat.

Torn Mind

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2012
My version being fact based.
Not really. Stearic acid has clear cut, rock solid benefits in improving fat metabolism.

Fat is a problem because people eat foods that inhibits its catabolism.

Grass fed butter is a good supply of fat soluble vitamins; deprivation of such vitamins will cause such issues.

TG/HDL is a stronger risk factor than LDL alone.

Olive oil, when not adulterated, has certain anti-inflammatory chemicals to help the body.

igor_kavinski

Jul 27, 2020
Saturated Fat, raises LDL cholesterol (fact), it doesn't matter if that source is butter or coconut oil. It does the same thing. The higher your LDL, the worse your heart disease outcomes (fact).
Can't say anything about butter (never been easy for me to find real butter. I refuse to use any packaged butter) but I can attest that virgin coconut oil can be pretty dangerous, if consumed at least a tablespoon twice a day. In just a month, it caused bleeding wounds on my leg where the skin just split up. Turned out the saturated fat in the coconut oil had clogged my leg arteries, affecting the blood supply. Complete abstinence for a few weeks healed everything completely. I was taking it for the good fats (MCTs which I find out later constitute just 10% of the total fat content of coconut oil). IF I ever try coconut oil again, it's gonna be an MCT supplement and I WILL tread carefully.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Not really. Stearic acid has clear cut, rock solid benefits in improving fat metabolism.

Fat is a problem because people eat foods that inhibits its catabolism.

Grass fed butter is a good supply of fat soluble vitamins; deprivation of such vitamins will cause such issues.

TG/HDL is a stronger risk factor than LDL alone.

Olive oil, when not adulterated, has certain anti-inflammatory chemicals to help the body.
Yes but are the cheapest eggs less nutritious?

Torn Mind

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2012
Yes but are the cheapest eggs less nutritious?

IIRC, you had an article in another thread and I had forgotten to respond to it.

Reading the article indicates the smaller brands tended to be more nutritious than big brands.

The average omega-3 is 0.13g vs 0.05g. The difference matters density-wise. Only takes 9-10 organics to reach 1g while it would take 20 "conventional" eggs based on their average.

Likewise, it only takes 3 small-farm organic eggs to reach 90 IUs of vitamin D versus 5 big brand organic eggs to reach about 100 IUs

Probably in winter, the gap in density is smaller.

The best ability is delectability. For me, a non-sweet/starch food without seasoning like salt triggering a desire to eat it is a rare thing, and not exactly expected since I habitually never ate the "cheap" version. Hated the taste and the smell; yes oyster sauce or soy sauce could make it palatable but since it is a fatty food, I'm not aching for more than 2. I probably ate 16 cheap eggs in my whole life, definitely no more than 1 a year at best, which would be 30 something.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
Nearly all the studies around extra virgin olive oil are done within populations of people that are also eating a diet primarily in whole vegetables. Most straight research into extra virgin olive oil finds it has a negative impact on postprandial endothelial function.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Torn Mind

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2012
Nearly all the studies around extra virgin olive oil are done within populations of people that are also eating a diet primarily in whole vegetables. Most straight research into extra virgin olive oil finds it has a negative impact on postprandial endothelial function.

Such an assertion seems not in line with the mainstream, such as the opening of the following:

Greger, at best, is just old obsoleted news.
At his worst, he's a vegan posing as a "fact-loving" doctor.

ASK THE COMMUNITY