Keep old PSU or get new one?

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Hey there,

i need advice regarding PSU.

I recently got new X99 build (i7 6850k, 2x evga 1080 FTW, 32GB RAM, 2 Samsung SSDs, Corsair H105). I planned to replace these parts for the parts in my current rig (x58 build) - so i was looking to keep my case (Fractal Design Define R2) and PSU (Seasonic S12D 750W)...and then 2 WD HDDs inside and 2 Noctua fans, but thats beside the point.

I am pretty sure the PSU, if new, would be absolutely adequate for my new build. Even though it has only 2x 8pins and 2 6pins, while i need 4x 8pins for my new cards. The thing is, what about my situation, when the PSU is 6 years old? Especially in the situation, when i would like to OC both the CPU and cards and i am adding water pump on top of it compared to my previous/still current build? Should i take the bite and replace it just to be sure?

If i was about to do it, i am gonna to get new case as well, cause i can sell the old rig as a complete package (bar the HDDs inside, those i will keep obviously). I suppose it would be easier to sell and less hassle with the whole process.

Which PSU to get though? New case (very likely FD Define R5) is 109 EUROs and i would not like to spend more than 100 on PSU as well - the thing is, 750W Seasonics seem to be at least 150, more like 170/180... any other good brand i could go instead, which is cheaper, but comparable quality? I looked at Evga Supernova at cca 97 EUROs, any good? Or any other recommendation?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
A unit that is six years old, I would replace it building a high-end computer that you are going to push a little.

EVGA SuperNova G2 and P2 power supplies are very good units.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=380

However, there are several different SuperNova series out there like GQ, GS, G1, B2, and NEX , and they are made by different OEMs. So we would need to know the exact model number to give accurate information.

Also, the Corsair RMx series are worth looking at depending how much they are in your area:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=452

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Seasonic (an OEM) makes awesome units, and I love squeezing every bit of life out of all my PSU's... but a pair of GTX 1080 might be pushing the envelope for an older supply.

Power supply is the most important component in a computer, so don't skimp. While super unlikely, a bad PSU could break your entire system.

ylin0811

Jun 1, 2015
Capacitors do wear out over time (5 to 7 years) regardless of the quality of the component. Would the current power supply be adequate for your new components? If yes, how long have you had the current power supply? I would swap it out if it is older than 5 years.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Your PSU is fine but there's no harm in using a new one. I also recommend the EVGA Supernova G2, or a new Seasonic unit. Go modular if you're not already.... It really helps reduce clutter. Some of the new high end PSUs now have warranties up to 10 years!

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Thank to all of you for your replies!

I am slowly warming up to the idea of getting both new case (Define R5) and new PSU... I will then sell my current build as a complete package with case, rather than unplugged components, which would be difficult to demostrate to work fine to potential buyers.

I would love Seasonic X series 750W, but its too expensive. So i am looking at either Supernova G2 (i have read its produced by Seasonic anyway? or Superflower? there is little confusion about that), then recommended Corsair RMx 750W, which seemed to be getting good reviews or finally Seasonic G 750W, which is about 20 EUROs more expensive than either Evga or said Corsair.

So which one to get? And do you think either one, supposed quality PSU all of them, will be enough for i7 6850k OCed to 4,4GHz if possible, 2 Evga 1080 FTWs at 130% boost OCed to 2,1 GHz if possible, then said Corsair H105 (not sure how demanding on power such water pump is, my first experience with water cooling ever), 3 SSDs, 2HDDs and about 5 fans? Or should i be rather looking at 850W PSU of either type? I am not going to run my cards at SLI mode, only use both of them at once, while rendering with Octane Render, which is probably not so demanding on CPU, as the renderer is purely GPU based. So technically i am either going to use CPU and one of the cards to their power limits, while gaming some demanding games (say Ashes of Singularity) or both GPUs while working...

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
Whether or not you need to replace it to be on the safe side depends on how much use its had. If you've gamed heavily for six years it might be a good idea to get a new one. If it was light, infrequent gaming you're probably fine.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Capacitors do wear out over time (5 to 7 years) regardless of the quality of the component. .

Source or B.S.

The OP's Seasonic S12D uses solid japanese caps. Decent PSU's rate 100,000 hours MTBF. That's continuous usage under load for around 11 years. I think he could easily get another 6 years out of it.

If capacitors really did wear out after 5-7 years regardless of the quality literally millions of pieces of electronics currently in use would suddenly fail. Preposterous.

Reactions: techne

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Which PSU to get though? New case (very likely FD Define R5) is 109 EUROs and i would not like to spend more than 100 on PSU as well -

You just got done spending a ton of money on a dream rig and you want to save a couple euros on the PSU?

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Yeah, i am that cheap :-D

Seriously now, in the end i got Seasonic X-Series 750W Gold. It was almost 60 EUROs more than Evga Supernova or Corsair RMx, so hardly couple Euros, although in grand scheme of things it may look so.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I always am kinda baffled at these posts, why not keep the old rig operational, if you're building a new one, so get a new PSU given you already got all the other parts. Compared to the cost of all the other parts it's not like the PSU is the straw that breaks the camel's back. :p I guess that's just me though, I tend to re-purpose older machines so when I build a new rig I tend to get all the parts in full, case and all and keep the other one operating.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
I always am kinda baffled at these posts, why not keep the old rig operational, if you're building a new one, so get a new PSU given you already got all the other parts. Compared to the cost of all the other parts it's not like the PSU is the straw that breaks the camel's back. :p I guess that's just me though, I tend to re-purpose older machines so when I build a new rig I tend to get all the parts in full, case and all and keep the other one operating.

I already spent 2500 EUROs on all the components and that was the max i was willing to spend. Additionally, i thought the current case (Define R2) is still in pretty good shape and the PSU is Seasonic, thus quality. Eventually i bought new case and PSU only cause i cant lately go without computer even for few days, cause i need to work on it constantly.... if i had those few days, i guess i would have stuck to my original plan, since i have otherwise no need to keep my old rig operational and re-purpose it - its gonna be sold.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
That Seasonic is probably going to last awhile yet. My old Corsair HX520 from about eight years ago still runs rock solid. If I had a rig for it, it'd be doing duty in there.

Yeah the EVGA G2 and P2 PSUs are excellent values for the money. I just don't see the need to replace the old unit.

If you're really concerned about it, consider testing the unit before making any major decisions about replacing it. Wear and tear should be showing up in the form of reduced efficiency, increased ripple, etc. You might be able to find someone to help you test it locally if you don't have the means to do it yourself.

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Your PSU is fine but there's no harm in using a new one. I also recommend the EVGA Supernova G2, or a new Seasonic unit. Go modular if you're not already.... It really helps reduce clutter. Some of the new high end PSUs now have warranties up to 10 years!

Specs on his existing PSU looks great and I personally wouldn't replace it. PSU is a lucrative high margin item for retailers. They're just like cable but a much larger lump sum profit. It is one product line many unrelated brands are diversifying into. I think JonnyGURU or Tomshardware mentioned the markup is 300%. It is perhaps the only large ticket high margin item for the retailer aside from case and software.

You probably noticed that most UPS alerts you of an overload. Usually caution light at 80% or, chirp at full load and beep on overload. Every PC PSU already has a monitoring circuit and is aware of load level. Adding an LED or a beeper won't cost much. It's no accident they don't install one. It would get in the way of upselling. Even the PSU in pre-built units have plenty of capacity left as it is budgeted with every slot loaded to maximum PCIe and PCI specs, some more for higher TDP CPU and drives the case can accommodate.

The biggest makeover came along when 4-pin power to PSU became the norm. 12v power is the workhorse that does all the heavy lifting in modern PCs. 5 and 3.3v hasn't been doing heavy lifting for a long time. 5v isn't even provided to PCIe and 3.3v is limited to 4A per PCIe slot.

Fan is a common failure point in PSU. Look in Seasonic spec sheets. The quoted 100K hrs excludes the fan.

I think long warranty on higher end power supply is mostly marketing to entice you to buy high margin products. "10 year warranty" can mean so many things. Review Corsair's warranty carefully. It is pro rata like tire warranty where warranty claim is their choice of replacing it with comparable item from their inventory or pro rated refund at 10% per year. So if you paid $150 and it failed 8 years later they might cut you a check for $30.
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/support/warranty

Wattage rating today is different in modern days. You can't puff up wattage specs for the label while meeting the higher tier 80 Plus criteria. It was common practice for some brands to rate their PSU just shy of the point it starts to pour out smoke.

It's getting common for PSU to only convert line voltage to DC 12v.
5v, 3.3v and -12v are created from a secondary converter from 12v within the silverbox while some pre-built systems does this on motherboard. 5v SB comes from an independent pony power supply within the silverbox. All the other voltages are stepped down with a secondary converter right next to the point of use. The GPU power supply is soldered on video card so getting extended warranty on video card might not be a bad idea if you're getting especially expensive video card.

What this means is that there isn't much power that's inaccessible from being reserved for 5 and 3.3v.

The input power for 80Plus silver is 17% above output. Try your existing power supply anyways. I doubt you can even get the plug-in watt meter on the outlet side to read even close to the maximum PSU rating while stress testing.

So on 80 Plus Silver, If the PSU is 650W and input power is 650W, you're only at 550W.

psudesign.png

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
If you want actual evidence regarding actual performance of your PSU right now, like voltage regulation, ripple control, etc you gonna need to ship it to someone with a load tester, such as PSU review sites. Well, there is getting all the equipment yourself, but that is a lot of money and knowledge to acquire.