Keep losing DNS Suffix entry in WinXP

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Icepick, May 4, 2007.

1. Icepick

Icepick Diamond Member

I have a DNS suffix configured in Advanced TCP/IP Settings on my laptop at work. Each night I go home and connect back into my employer's network via VPN from my wireless home network. When I reboot my laptop at work the next morning I find my DNS Suffix entries gone. This happens every time I log into my employer's network after using the laptop at home.

Anyone know why this would happen and how to stop it? Is there a Windows XP bug fix?

This is Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Thanks!

2. Icepick

Icepick Diamond Member

By the way, the exact setting I'm referring to is:
    Network Connections --> Local Area Connection 4 --> Properties --> TCP/IP Properties --> Advanced --> DNS --> Append these DNS suffixes (in order):

Each morning after working from home the night before I have to re-add my DNS suffixes here. They disappear for some reason.

Another tidbit - I use a wireless connection at home and wired Ethernet at work.

3. bsobel

bsobel Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member

Are you on a domain? Sounds like your employers group policy is overriding this setting.

4. Icepick

Icepick Diamond Member

Yeah, at work I'm on a domain. So maybe that's it. BUt, it wouldn't make sense that they would remove their own domain suffix from my configuration.

5. Alone

Alone Diamond Member

They have it set up the way they want it, and would like to keep it that way.

6. bsobel

bsobel Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member

Yes it would, it makes perfect sense (it can be a security issue not to). Are you on a home router, can you just dhcp and get a temp domain suffix that way while home?