Keanu Reeves set to return for The Matrix 4

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Dunno how I feel about this. But it's happening on my birthday, so yay!

BTW, I was here on ATOT for the first 3 movies exactly 65 million years ago and still remember how excited and influenced we all were by them.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...HkrU5tGTyLzp5neEYbYsM5g6Xs#Echobox=1566334415

Keanu Reeves is set to return to the world of The Matrix with a fourth chapter now officially confirmed.

Lana Wachowski, who created the franchise with sister Lilly, will also return as director along with original cast member Carrie Ann-Moss.

“Many of the ideas Lilly and I explored 20 years ago about our reality are even more relevant now,” Wachowski said in a statement. “I’m very happy to have these characters back in my life and grateful for another chance to work with my brilliant friends.”

The script is co-written by Wachowski alongside the sci-fi novelists Aleksandar Hemon and David Mitchell.

This year marks the 20th anniversary of the original Matrix, which told the story of hacker Neo and his discovery that the world was in fact a simulated reality. It was a surprise hit, making more than $460m worldwide and launching two sequels, The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions. The franchise combined has made more than $1.6bn.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I'm afraid this is going to suck, just like everything they've done post-Matrix.

It smacks of desperation. Trinity's fate was not ambiguous. I'm assuming she'll still be "alive" somehow in the Matrix.

I'm guessing they're down to their last tens of millions of dollars in net worth and need a cash injection badly. Otherwise they would have left this alone.

Reactions: DigDog

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
You have to agree with most folks she here Matrix one was good two was okay and three was not very good

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Matrix 2 remains at the absolute top of the worst movies ever made for me. 3 isn't even close, lol.

It's self-indulgent, masturbatory pablum. 15 minutes of content stretched out over hours of nonsense, pseudo-intellectual claptrap and cartoon action.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Matrix 2 remains at the absolute top of the worst movies ever made for me. 3 isn't even close, lol.

It's self-indulgent, masturbatory pablum. 15 minutes of content stretched out over hours of nonsense, pseudo-intellectual claptrap and cartoon action.
Watch Highlander: The Source.

I dare you.

Reactions: stargazr
Mar 11, 2004
I'm afraid this is going to suck, just like everything they've done post-Matrix.

It smacks of desperation. Trinity's fate was not ambiguous. I'm assuming she'll still be "alive" somehow in the Matrix.

I'm guessing they're down to their last tens of millions of dollars in net worth and need a cash injection badly. Otherwise they would have left this alone.

I don't even remember and don't care. The best way to handle things would be to retcon things and just say that 2 and 3 were simulations and possible outcomes but they weren't the real outcome (I've seen someone make that kind of argument for the post Burton Batman movies, where Batman Forever and Batman & Robin were TV shows based on Batman, hence them being ridiculous). They could treat Neo, Trinity, and Agent Smith like Nintendo treats Link, Zelda, and Ganon.

I could agree with that, as I think their stuff has flopped and so they're probably finding it difficult to get funding. I think its a mix of that with them wanting to try and salvage the Matrix as a franchise. If they can manage to do that, they'd be rolling in money as society is ripe for tie-ins, and would be a good branding fit for VR technology. I have to imagine they look at stuff like Black Mirror, Inception, Ready Player One, superhero movies, and anime's popularity (Animatrix was actually decent) and think "we had the base to offer all of that" from a single unified brand.

Wow we actually agree this time. I hated 2 far more than 3. I don't think 3 is good, and I probably have less derision for it because of 2 having killed my expectations entirely.

I at least enjoyed the super chain gun mech suits in 3. I think that's about the only thing I liked out of both 2 and 3.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Watch Highlander: The Source.

I dare you.

Oh I have. Highlander 2 was even worse, lol. ...hmm, well it was bad because it essentially rewrote the world and was so bad at that/for doing that, that everything after pretended it didn't exist. I guess Source was just plain bad. At least these movies don't pretend that they are brilliant simply for existing, which is what became of the Matrix with the first sequel.

The 3rd one was just...eh. dumb I guess, but whatever. At least it wasn't trying to felate itself every frame.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
My first thought was "But why?" and then my brain answered "Money, stupid". Still doesn't make me any happier about it, but I guess of the strictly unnecessary movies going around these days, I have a higher chance of actually watching this one.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I'm picturing Reeves bending backward to dodge bullets and hearing his back going "CRACK KRINKLE CRACK"...

giphy[1].gif

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I don’t understand the hatred for Matrix 2 and 3.

Matrix 4 could work if they expand on the idea of Neo merging with the Source, where he creates a Matrix for himself in which Trinity is alive.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Excited!

But ...
Who knows what stupid notions will be spawned by Matrix 4. First one persuaded gullibles we are living in a simulation.

I will keep my expectations low.

Feb 4, 2009
I don’t understand the hatred for Matrix 2 and 3.

Matrix 4 could work if they expand on the idea of Neo merging with the Source, where he creates a Matrix for himself in which Trinity is alive.
2 & 3 were pretty poor, I’ve yet to watch them other than parts I’ve caught on TV and was totally repelled by.
I do think you are on to something regarding 4.

I’m fully prepared to be disappointed

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Which are wrose:

All Terminator follow-ups after Judgement Day
All Matrix follow-ups after Matrix 1

Terminator franchise personally destroyed my childhood of loving T2.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Which are wrose:

All Terminator follow-ups after Judgement Day
All Matrix follow-ups after Matrix 1

Terminator franchise personally destroyed my childhood of loving T2.

Matrix Easily. The difference in quality from the original to the sequels is pretty much unmatched (though sonikku brings up a good point about the Highlander franchise)

Terminator 3 really isn't that bad in the scope of the series. ....The Christian Bale one, though, that was pretty shitty. An OK movie on its own, but garbage for Terminator. I don't think I ever saw Genysis [sic?]

The SCC series on Fox was pretty awesome, though. It deserved at least another season. more would have been better.