Kayleigh McEnany: "The science should not stand in the way of schools reopening"

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Need I say more? How many of you have school aged kids? From whom are you getting your COVID-19 advice Trump and the Republicans or Dr. Fauci?? Do you trust the lives of your kids to Trump?

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
She was obviously told to push the word Science hoping that his sheep will not realize that he is waging a war on science.

Feb 4, 2009
I’m firmly in the it should be a local decision camp. Would be great if the Government could give specific guidance and offer loans or programs to upgrade/modify schools and allow creative solutions. Like maybe pay teachers extra, have school start an hour early but have two school sessions maybe one 7am-noon and another 1pm to 6pm or bring in some Saturday classes or shit if it’s not possible give money to train for online learning.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I’m firmly in the it should be a local decision camp. Would be great if the Government could give specific guidance and offer loans or programs to upgrade/modify schools and allow creative solutions. Like maybe pay teachers extra, have school start an hour early but have two school sessions maybe one 7am-noon and another 1pm to 6pm or bring in some Saturday classes or shit if it’s not possible give money to train for online learning.

I'm not. It's perfectly clear that alternate facts play bigly in the decision making in places like Florida. Trump wants the schools open? Git 'er dun!

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
School aged kids are the ones I would expect to not face danger from COVID.
But that is not what the science says......

Kids don't seem to be as badly affected as older people. If they were, we'd already know it. That says nothing about how well kids pass it around. I mean, how could they not? Preschool daycare is where the unsanitary little darlings swap slobber all day, isn't it? When they get home there's a lot of close interaction with their parents, of course, beginning with cleaning them up.

It's astoundingly irresponsible to open schools in places where the new infection rate already threatens catastrophe. It's criminal malfeasance that threatens the public welfare.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I don't support Donald, but the question is how long are we supposed to close the schools? This virus isn't going to go away in September. It's not going to disappear in Oct, Nov, and Dec. It will be with us in Jan, Feb and into March. Do we stay out of school for the next year? That would be a disaster for the children, and working parents.

What's the solution?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't support Donald, but the question is how long are we supposed to close the schools? This virus isn't going to go away in September. It's not going to disappear in Oct, Nov, and Dec. It will be with us in Jan, Feb and into March. Do we stay out of school for the next year? That would be a disaster for the children, and working parents.

What's the solution?

You find a way to Educate without spreading Covid-19. That doesn't necessarily mean closing Schools, but it does mean Social Distancing needs to be a part of it and that requires adjusting how Schooling occurs is necessary. That increases Costs and thus requires Funding. So who is stepping up with the necessary $?

In some areas Social Distancing won't be enough, because there are too many Active Cases. That means that the only safe Schooling will be Online. That also will require extra Funding, especially for Schools that have Students without access to the Internet. Who is stepping up with the necessary $?

The solution is to develop Plans for Reopening that take into account what the Science says is required to control the Pandemic and then provide the necessary Funding for it. The Trump Admins simply demanding that Schools open while providing nothing to support such a thing is fucking bullshit.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

What's the solution?

The solution obviously is to weaponize lil Timmy to kill Mema and Papa.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

What's the solution?

Competent government. But that won't happen with Trump at the helm.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
You do not speak for science. Nor does your response qualify as even attempting to refute my claim.

Your post was about your feels and not the facts. The death rate for children is much lower than those that are older but for you to say "not expect to face danger from Covid" is just wrong. How many dead kids are acceptable to reopen kids? More or less than the number killed in school shootings each year?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Do we stay out of school for the next year? That would be a disaster for the children, and working parents.

It would be wise to shut schools for a full year. Disaster? Maybe so... but it shouldn't be.

That is an American disaster, due to our disastrous system of failure that tells people they are worthless and should be discarded as pieces of trash if they do not measure up on a specific timeline. The children would most certainly handle a missing year if we simply accommodated them. The parents OTOH, forcing both of them to work just for base survival is also an American failure. With no true safety net the disruption of a virus can be catastrophic to our house of cards built on greed. There is no excuse for America being so fragile, or frankly so god damn stupid.

We do not deserve the concept of "first world nation". For that is not an adequate description of our nation this day.

It is too late to enact the change necessary to provide a robust social safety net, in time to stave off the pain and suffering ahead. But we must use this pain as a lesson to be learned. That America is broken and needs to be fixed. America is in desperate need for a grand new deal, a sweeping series of reforms to actually care for one another. Rather than doing our best to cannibalize one another. What we are, what we do - to one another - is sickening. We need to do better, it is our duty to our children to make this nation a better place. And that starts with the reforms needed to ensure we can weather such a virus. That safety nets are in place. If not today, then tomorrow.

Unfortunately there is a political party whose very mission is to prevent us from saving the American people from disasters such as this. And their failed economic policy keeps Americans afraid. Afraid of the measures that can help them. This is akin to placing a lid on a boiling pot. The change is coming, but it may be too violent for anyone's liking.

Which brings me back to the topic. Of what a disaster it is for parents to actually have and care for their children during a crisis. That this burden alone is somehow an additional crisis on top of another. Damn our nation for being this dysfunctional. Damn those who put us in this position of weakness. Americans are so afraid of our economic weakness that many would rather stare down and risk death from a virus than suffer a shutdown or actually raise their kids for a year.

A vote for Trump, or any Republican for that matter, is a vote to continue this failed system of pain and suffering.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
You do not speak for science. Nor does your response qualify as even attempting to refute my claim.
oh, a quick retort!!
Oh my!! As if you speak for the science, Einstein!
I do not need to speak for the science! The science does a very good job on its own!
2273bd74fdb6f819b6b4f608c0be0aa3.jpg

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007

What's the solution?
The solution is we lock our shit down like we were supposed to for 6-8 weeks with full masks in public and full social distancing, then we'll be ag levels where we can test, isolate, and trace. If we do that then no, the virus will be at manageable levels in sept/oct, and we can largely come.out of lockdown with sensible procedures. The virus does not have to be with us until Dec or next year if we had a) some leadership or b) a country of not morons.

Gonna go ahead and prove b) wrong in 5...4..3..2..