Kansas Teen Perfect on SAT, ACT

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
i took my test in 1987 and i have no idea anymore what my scores were. they really dont matter now.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Citrix
i took my test in 1987 and i have no idea anymore what my scores were. they really dont matter now.

Once you hit college, they really don't matter. They matter for getting you into college, I suppose. (I only went to a state school, but I make about $2000 extra a semester in scholarships, yay for being smart and lazy, but I suppose prospective employers will look more at the college I'm going to rather than how easily I got in)

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
It's just a test score - I find it odd that he scored a 34 after 2 attempts, yet decided to take it again. I mean, I scored a nice 30-ish number on my first attempt, got a full scholarship to college, so saw no need to retake the test. I mean, I guess if he did it as a personal challenge or something, then that's cool. A bit nerdy, but still cool.

edit: Fortunately, typing abilities were not tested. :eek:

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
I knew a kid at my high school that missed one question on the ACT the first time he took it. He retook it the next year and got a perfect score. I don't know if he ever took the SAT. Nobody really took it at my school.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
I scored a 34 on the ACT and look how I turned out!

Uhm, can any of you spare some change for a brother?
:eek:

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Meh, I took them both once, never studied for either. 34 and 1410.

One thing really bothered me though, and that was this quote, "Obviously, you have to pay attention in classes, take classes that are going to teach you what you need to know _ that sort of thing." Learning to the test is one of the worst habits of scholarship and it's an increasingly common trait in America.

ZV

Nov 5, 2001
a kid I went to high school did this. The day it was announced I looked down and he was wearing 2 different socks. VERY book smart kid, but no common sense or street smarts.

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
I wonder how many people who get a perfect on 1 test even bother to take the other...

If you put in the effort while most 16 year olds are smoking pot in their backyards, well, you get results. The math, especially, is not a difficult test.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: sixone
He's attending a Catholic school, according to the local paper.

Interesting that AP doesn't point that out. Wouldn't want to embarrass public education. :roll:

I attended a public school and knew a few people who achieved perfect scores on those tests.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: sixone
He's attending a Catholic school, according to the local paper.

Interesting that AP doesn't point that out. Wouldn't want to embarrass public education. :roll:

Eh, I went to HS there and looking back, I don't think the quality of education there was that great. There were at least 2 public high schools in the area that were much better. I remember going to college and meeting people who were effectively sophomores because of AP credit. That HS only offered 2 total AP classes when I went there. Maybe things have changed since then, but I would be more inclined to attribute the high scores to the student than the school.

I realize that statement can't be applied to public or catholic schools in general, but I just decided to share my personal opinion since I actually went to school there.

Before anyone attacks me saying that I was the problem and not the school, I did get a 32 on the ACT. Granted not nearly as good as some of the geniuses on here, but respectable I'd say.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Fox5
Originally posted by: Citrix

Once you hit college, they really don't matter. They matter for getting you into college, I suppose. (I only went to a state school, but I make about $2000 extra a semester in scholarships, yay for being smart and lazy, but I suppose prospective employers will look more at the college I'm going to rather than how easily I got in)

Yeah I got a 30, my next brother got a 30 and our youngest brother had to show us both up by getting a 31 on the ACT =(

That said, state school ($3k) + internship FTW. Eeveryone I know who had an internship and a gpa > 2.5 got a job and that was in 2003.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
i wish i took the act again... i never finished it. i ran out of time. i wanted to take it again, but my parents said that a 31 was good enough.

same thing happened with the sat. i wanted to take them over again because i never finished, but my parents said 1450 was good enough.

my gpa when i graduated was 2.7 :thumbsdown:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Another great achievement that noone is going to care about once he gets to college.