Kansas tax experiment over, GOP legislature overrides veto

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
From your own link California's job growth is vastly superior.

Oops, haha.
Ah, the spin-meister weighs in! Know what else California has that's higher? Higher ROOM for job growth, since it outranks Kansas in unemployment rate!

https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm

Kansa ranks #15 Cali ranks #37

You boobs are hilarious trying to concern troll Kansas! Theres simply NO CRISIS to be found other than in the minds of dumb liberals!

How cute you pretend to know anything about Kansas.
And how idiotic of you to concern troll over Kansas. What exactly then is California's excuse for Kansas outranking them in just about every measure? (and it's just ONE example BTW). You gonna chalk that up to years of liberal mismanagement and hypocrisy, or just do your usual and sweep it under the rug and " NUH UH!! B-but Kansas blah blah blah..." right past it?

You idiots and your attempts to manufacture "CRISIS!" It's hilarious!

Meanwhile, no one in Kansas appears to need anyone's concern trolling on their behalf, or dipshit wishes that they 'suffer more' because some on the left are themselves miserable retards.

Might want to look elsewhere for your next make believe "CRISIS!"

Feb 4, 2009
Ah, the spin-meister weighs in! Know what else California has that's higher? Higher ROOM for job growth, since it outranks Kansas in unemployment rate!

You boobs are hilarious trying to concern troll Kansas! Theres simply NO CRISIS to be found other than in the minds of dumb liberals!

And how idiotic of you to concern troll over Kansas. What exactly then is California's excuse for Kansas outranking them in just about every measure? (and it's just ONE example BTW). You gonna chalk that up to years of liberal mismanagement and hypocrisy, or just do your usual and sweep it under the rug and " NUH UH!! B-but Kansas blah blah blah..." right past it?

Meanwhile, no one in Kansas appears to need anyone's concern trolling on their behalf, or dipshit wishes that they 'suffer more' because some on the left are themselves miserable retards.

I'm no expert on the subject so correct me if I'm wrong but didn't a bunch of voters get pissed at the school cuts and didn't a bunch of businesses say they may have to leave the state if people graduating don't have the knowledge to be useful?
I'm being serious, I thought I read that last summer(?)

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Look you fucking idiot I have lived in the state more than 40 years. Follow the thread.

My kids attend Kansas public schools, I drive on Kansas roads, I pay one of the highest sales taxes on food in the country. We have seen the direction the state is headed after 5 years of this "experiment". It had plenty of time to work. Instead you had lawyers paying no income tax while their administrative assistants had to pay state income taxes.

So the one who appears to be concern trolling here and spouting off about shit you know nothing about is you.

Last edited:
Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
How did they run budget holes for five years? Unlike the federal government states must have a balanced budget. About the only thing I can think of is that Kansas must have been borrowing a lot of money to make up for the tax shortfall. If that's the case they are going to feel the pain from this fiscal experiment for years to come-in the way of higher interest rates as well as increased debt service.

IIRC, Kansas had a 'rainy day' fund that actually carried them, along with massive spending cuts, for several years. I'm not sure how they covered the rest except to re-route many funds marked for other stuff (roads, schools, not sure of pension payments)....

Roflmouth

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2015
I'm no expert on the subject so correct me if I'm wrong but didn't a bunch of voters get pissed at the school cuts and didn't a bunch of businesses say they may have to leave the state if people graduating don't have the knowledge to be useful?

I doubt it, since you're confusing graduates of public school with those who have useful knowledge.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
IIRC, Kansas had a 'rainy day' fund that actually carried them, along with massive spending cuts, for several years. I'm not sure how they covered the rest except to re-route many funds marked for other stuff (roads, schools, not sure of pension payments)....

We have delayed payments to pension system, issued bonds for roads then raided those funds to cover gaps in the general fund. Proposed (I don't if this actually happened) taking tobacco money that was ear marked for kid's health programs, turning it into a fixed amount per year (meaning it would have less impact every year due to inflation) and then selling off most of the proceeds in exchange for a one time payment to fix yet another budget gap.

The state was basically down to pay day loans and credit card advances.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Yes, the school funding issue is what finally pushed voters to turn out for primary races and send a bunch of conservative legislators home.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

It's a form of looting...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Look you fucking idiot I have lived in the state more than 40 years. Follow the thread.

My kids attend Kansas public schools, I drive on Kansas roads, I pay one of the highest sales taxes on food in the country. We have seen the direction the state is headed after 5 years of this "experiment". It had plenty of time to work. Instead you had lawyers paying no income tax while their administrative assistants had to pay state income taxes.

So the one who appears to be concern trolling here and spouting off about shit you know nothing about is you.

Taxes are for the little people...

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Taxes are for the little people...

Sure seems that way, esp. considering the end result of Brownback's tax "cuts":

The tax package Brownback enacted in 2012 cut the top personal income tax rates sharply. The rate on income under $30,000 was pared to 3% from 3.5%. Pass-through business income was made fully tax-exempt. The law increased the standard deduction, but also eliminated several tax credits that assisted the poor.
In follow-on changes the next year, the top income tax rate was cut further. But other cuts were reversed, effectively raising taxes for the middle class and working class. In all, as was documented by the Washington-based Center for Budget and Policy Priorities, the changes cut the taxes of the wealthiest 1% of Kansans by 2.2% and raised them for the poorest 20% by 1.3%.
http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-kansas-economy-20161031-story.html

The rich get tax cuts, the poor....not so much.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
Stop trashing Kansas because of stupid politicians there is a very good chance the bread you eat is possible because of Kansas.

Spend more time trashing the Koch brothers whose have spent vast sums over decades to buy a state legislature and governor until they finally got what they wanted.

I said anyone with a choice. It's not about the state, it's about getting out from under the thumb of that government. It doesn't deserve that government, nobody does.

However, someone trying to deflect criticism of that government by implying that nobody against it lives under it? They deserve to be trashed.

As a resident of a state currently ruled by a GOP super-majority thanks to illegal, gerrymandered districts I find your logic appalling. We voted in a Democrat governor and the state legislature just diminished his power before he took office.

I don't want our state to "suffer more" while we await new districts to be drawn, and we likely won't have a special election to get these backwards fucks out of office.

Yeah, seriously.

@dank69 @Azuma Hazuki The state doesn't suffer as one. If barely over 50% of the state votes for something like this, do you really think that the suffering of the remainder is going to convince them that they're wrong? Small temporary gains bought with the suffering of others is the platform this government ran under, and backing off on it is a sign that enough people have realized what it does to them. Sure, they don't have some actual consciousness of how things as a whole work, but they were never going to be pushed into that by things that happen to other people.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I said anyone with a choice. It's not about the state, it's about getting out from under the thumb of that government. It doesn't deserve that government, nobody does.

However, someone trying to deflect criticism of that government by implying that nobody against it lives under it? They deserve to be trashed.

Yeah, seriously.

@dank69 @Azuma Hazuki The state doesn't suffer as one. If barely over 50% of the state votes for something like this, do you really think that the suffering of the remainder is going to convince them that they're wrong? Small temporary gains bought with the suffering of others is the platform this government ran under, and backing off on it is a sign that enough people have realized what it does to them. Sure, they don't have some actual consciousness of how things as a whole work, but they were never going to be pushed into that by things that happen to other people.
It is clearly apparent that good people need to suffer for a long time to burn the scourge out of our population. It sucks. I wish it didn't have to come to this but conservative ideology has progressed into a self-reinforced bubble to the point that they no longer operate in anything that could be objectively considered reality. They are unable to distinguish fact from fiction, and worse, do not even care to try. All they care about is winning. Even after winning, all they care about is gloating. When their "team" proposes a policy, we go through the same cycle every time:

1) Here is the evidence that shows this policy will hurt more people than it helps, and will even hurt you.
2) Conservatives dismiss the evidence as fake news, part of the LMSM.
3) When the evidence can no longer be brushed off as fake, they say it is spin, not really as bad as liberals make it out to be.
4) When they can no longer refute the details, and they can no longer deny that this policy will hurt many people including themselves, "At least it will hurt liberals as well so it is worth it."
5) When the policy goes into effect, and they begin to suffer, they blame it on other liberal policies.
6) When they can no longer deny that the suffering is a direct result of their own policies, they blame uppity liberals for making them do it. If liberals had just been nicer about it from the beginning, they wouldn't have supported the policy.

Sorry, but I am willing to suffer for the next 40 years until people advocating conservative policies are universally accepted as mentally unstable in the same manner as flat-earthers and can never again influence policy.