Kansas man asks judge to let him engage in sword fight with ex-wife, lawyer

ShookKnight

Dec 12, 2019
A Kansas man asked a judge in Iowa if he could initiate a sword fight with his ex-wife and her attorney, saying he wanted to meet them "on the field of battle."

David Ostrom, 40, claims in court documents that his ex-wife, Bridgette Ostrom, 38, "destroyed (him) legally" and made the case for "trial by combat," The Des Moines Register reported.

The man asked the Iowa District Court to give him 12 weeks of "lead time" to source or forge Japanese katana and wakizashi swords in preparation for the desired combat.

What a fucking meathead loser.

I don't care how stacked against you 'the system' is because of feminazis and fish mouths and liberals and the media and and and and. If you don't get a good lawyer - or fucked up so badly that a good lawyer can't do anything for you - you suck.

Reactions: whm1974

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

I don't care how stacked against you 'the system' is because of feminazis and fish mouths and liberals and the media and and and and. If you don't get a good lawyer - or fucked up so badly that a good lawyer can't do anything for you - you suck.
bring a gun to a sword(knife) fight.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

Jesus man, where's all the mouth frothing coming from? Literally nothing in this story states anything about his political or personal leanings, aside from him apparently seeing the trial itself and his wife's attorney as so absurd that this is his natural absurd recourse.

You built a really strong straw-man to project this guy on to, why?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Jesus man, where's all the mouth frothing coming from? Literally nothing in this story states anything about his political or personal leanings, aside from him apparently seeing the trial itself and his wife's attorney as so absurd that this is his natural absurd recourse.

Yes, seems to be reading a bit too much into it. But... I don't believe it's a huge leap to suspect that a guy in an acrimonious and bitter divorce case might be of an anti-feminist persuasion.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I don't believe it's a huge leap to suspect that a guy in an acrimonious and bitter divorce case might be of an anti-feminist persuasion.
How? Not like most divorces end congenially. That doesn't mean every man coming out of a bitter divorce is anti-feminist. Assuming things about people you've never met nor heard of is a really shit way to view the world, as it taints your view of everything eventually.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Here’s how he’s picturing the fight:
f8bc7cadda1a250d090e5e5d178418637a4226ae.gifv
Here’s what it will actually look like.
tenor.gif

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
How? Not like most divorces end congenially. That doesn't mean every man coming out of a bitter divorce is anti-feminist. Assuming things about people you've never met nor heard of is a really shit way to view the world, as it taints your view of everything eventually.

No it's just making educated guesses based on experience. This guy is clearly a bit embittered - there's a reasonable statistical basis for suspecting that either means he had conservative views on gender to begin with, or, if not, that he has a misogynistic streak by this point.

It's not a certainty, just a matter of probabilities - one makes such guesses all the time. It's not as if any critical decisions ride on such a judgement (if they did, one would look for more information). I agree that the OP went a bit far in basing too much on that guess.

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

So people without money suck, and people with money always win. Got it.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

Yeah, he's just as frothy about it in the OT thread https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...x-wife-or-her-attorney.2575570/#post-40040900. Maybe it triggered some personal issues.

"What a fucking loser meathead.

I can't wait to see what this idiot looks like.

I predict:
-fat
-pasty
-scraggly beard
-sausage fingers
-breaths heavily when talking

He probably has a blog on being a Woke Man Going His Own Way, where he claims he is about to fix all of man's problems in the USA.

I bet he 'spits the truth' and 'runs some serious game'.

Ugh, I feel sick."

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Yeah, he's just as frothy about it in the OT thread https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...x-wife-or-her-attorney.2575570/#post-40040900. Maybe it triggered some personal issues.

"What a fucking loser meathead.

I can't wait to see what this idiot looks like.

I predict:
-fat
-pasty
-scraggly beard
-sausage fingers
-breaths heavily when talking

He probably has a blog on being a Woke Man Going His Own Way, where he claims he is about to fix all of man's problems in the USA.

I bet he 'spits the truth' and 'runs some serious game'.

Ugh, I feel sick."
you forgot one, mushroom pecker. ex laughed at it.

Nov 25, 2013

Now you have some of his own words.

"Ostrom claims that in the custody battle with his ex-wife, the legal system is “stacked against men.”

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
No it's just making educated guesses based on experience. This guy is clearly a bit embittered - there's a reasonable statistical basis for suspecting that either means he had conservative views on gender to begin with, or, if not, that he has a misogynistic streak by this point.

It's not a certainty, just a matter of probabilities - one makes such guesses all the time. It's not as if any critical decisions ride on such a judgement (if they did, one would look for more information). I agree that the OP went a bit far in basing too much on that guess.

Maybe, but it's a statistically weak inference based on the known evidence, which isn't much other than that his divorce has been acrimonious. The only thing which is evidently true is that he is angry with his ex-wife and her lawyer.

Nov 25, 2013
Maybe, but it's a statistically weak inference based on the known evidence, which isn't much other than that his divorce has been acrimonious. The only thing which is evidently true is that he is angry with his ex-wife and her lawyer.

You apparently missed this the 1st time I posted it:

"Ostrom claims that in the custody battle with his ex-wife, the legal system is “stacked against men.”