Kansas governor signs bill banning Islamic law

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
This is America!! You should abide by American laws!
there sahould be no expectation that the laws that you fled from would be used in America!!

Good for Kansas!!!

KANSAS CITY, Kansas (Reuters) - Republican Kansas Governor Sam Brownback signed a bill aimed at keeping state courts and agencies from using Islamic or other non-U.S. laws when making decisions, his office said on Friday, drawing criticism from a national Muslim group.

The law has been dubbed the "sharia bill" because critics say it targets the Islamic legal code. Sharia, or Islamic law, covers all aspects of Muslim life, including religious obligations and financial dealings. Opponents of state bans say they could nullify wills or legal contracts between Muslims.

Supporters said the law will reassure foreigners in Kansas that state laws and the U.S. Constitution would protect them. Opponents said it singled out Muslims for ridicule and was unnecessary because American laws prevail on U.S. soil.

Sherriene Jones-Sontag, a spokeswoman for the governor, said in an e-mail that the bill "makes it clear that Kansas courts will rely exclusively on the laws of our state and our nation when deciding cases and will not consider the laws of foreign jurisdictions."

Legislators supporting the bill said there were many cases around the country where judges or state agencies cited sharia law in deciding cases, especially involving divorce-related custody and property matters where Islamic code differs from U.S. law.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations in Washington denounced the Kansas law and said it is considering legal action.

About 20 states have considered similar legislation but the Kansas law is the only one signed in recent weeks, council spokesman Ibrahim Hooper said.

"It's unfortunate the governor chose to pander to the growing Islam-phobia in our society that has led to introduction of similar unconstitutional and un-American legislation in dozens of state legislatures," Hooper said.

Hooper said legislators have often referred to sharia law in supporting such legislation, but he said they take the word out of the bill to stave off legal challenges. The Kansas bill does not mention sharia.

Federal courts struck down an Oklahoma law voters approved in 2010 that barred state judges from considering sharia law in making decisions. The court called the law discriminatory.
http://news.yahoo.com/kansas-governor-signs-bill-effectively-banning-islamic-law-234840632.html

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

there should be no expectation that the laws that you fled from would be used in America!!

It won't stick, the United States Supreme Court will eventually not only overturn it.

Once they become the dominating group in the country it will become American law.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
FTM!

Why should we even consider the "laws" of a people that are still fucking their goats and living in caves?

It's a shame that Kansas and other States even have to consider such actions.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
FTM!

Why should we even consider the "laws" of a people that are still fucking their goats and living in caves?

It's a shame that Kansas and other States even have to consider such actions.

"Have to"? Really?

That's some really purty lipstick you put on that pig...

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The law doesn't ban islamic law or any other law specifically, it just says that Kansas and US law will exclusively be used in KS. I don't see any particular problem with that approach.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Are you willing to live your life under any religious laws?

I live under the laws of the United States of America. Most if not all of those are taken from a background of Judeo-Christian experience/history.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
That explains slavery...

:D

Yes it does. It also explaines why hundreds of thousands of Americans died to end slavery.

The muslims still practice slavery today. If you love these muslims so much, I'm sure they will let you move to one of the "stans" where you can live in peace and harmony. Go for it.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Yes it does. It also explaines why hundreds of thousands of Americans died to end slavery.
Those Americans died to end slavery because it was the right thing to do. Those who fought to preserve slavery did so because a book told them it was ok (according to you).

The muslims still practice slavery today. If you love these muslims so much, I'm sure they will let you move to one of the "stans" where you can live in peace and harmony. Go for it.
Hilarious. I live in the US because of its belief in secular laws. Perhaps it is you who should move to these Muslim states that intertwine religious laws with state laws.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Those Americans died to end slavery because it was the right thing to do. Those who fought to preserve slavery did so because a book told them it was ok (according to you).

Hilarious. I live in the US because of its belief in secular laws. Perhaps it is you who should move to these Muslim states that intertwine religious laws with state laws.

I live in the US because of its belief in secular laws.

I agree. Maybe we are not that far apart after all.

I am totally for secular governments.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

Acknowledging slavery != endorsing it

In the same way:

Acknowledging multiple wives != endorsing it

-----------

As for the article, this is pretty dumb. Why do we even need a law that says this. You live in a state that is a member of the United States. Why on earth would we allow judicial rulings based on laws that are not American.

-GP

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Really? Hell, yes.

Are you willing to live your life under Sharia Law?

Heh. As if such a possibility exists outside the fantasies of the usual raving wingnuts & the pander points of those exploiting them.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
How about we go the opposite way and give all the religious fundies what they want in the worst way possible.

Everyone can submit their religion to the new department of religion. The DoR can then get all the rules and regulations you have to follow from your local religious figure,(priest, rabbi, iman, televangelist etc) and the government can enforce them on you. If you didn't like it find a different religion.

Just think of how great it would be if all the rules your local church wanted you to follow had the force of law! No abortions for any Christians, nor birth control for Catholics, jail time for Baptists caught dancing or buying alcohol, enforced sharia law for followers of Islam!

We can even let your local religious figure decide how much you tithe and pull it right out of your paycheck! 10% 50% whatever is required!

It would be awesome, after all I've heard it several times that the first amendment doesn't actually mean the government can't pass laws establishing religion. That it didnt really mean separation of church and state. So lets take the first glorious step by enforcing religious laws on the followers of those religions!

Who's with me?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Anyone have the actual law? I know it is easier to jerk knees than to discuss what is really happening...but if someone could find the real law, we would be able to discuss the reality of it. The OP should have posted the real law.

I have searched, but I am a bit tired so my bing-fu is low today.

That said, if two parties want to agree to use sharia law as part of their binding legal agreement, it should be allowed. It is already against the US Constitution to force sharia (or any other religious law - and no, there is no such thing as Christian sharia before idiots start saying there is) to force this upon anyone else.

EDIT: Just found the bill, which was signed into law, will read it and post the relevant portions shortly.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
HOUSE BILL No. 2087

Sec. 4. A contract or contractual provision, if capable of segregation, which provides for the choice of a​
foreign law, legal code or system to govern some or all of the disputes between the parties adjudicated by a court of law or by an arbitration panel arising from the contract mutually agreed upon shall violate the public policy of this state and be void and unenforceable if the foreign law, legal code or system chosen includes or incorporates any substantive or procedural law, as applied to the dispute at issue, that would not grant the parties the same fundamental liberties,
rights and privileges granted under the United States and Kansas constitutions.

http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2011_12/measures/documents/hb2087_01_0000.pdf

This new law WILL be struck down by the federal courts IF it is enforced against people who willingly enter said agreements. The Freedom of Religion is not Freedom FROM Religion, so this law violates the First Amendment to the Federal Constitution...and the first amendment has been incorporated to the States as well.

This law is the government forcing people to not follow their religion and must be struck down.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This law is extraordinarily stupid. It's not like under the current system people can use Sharia in court proceedings in ways that violate US laws, it was that if both parties consented to use it to resolve a dispute in a way that did not run afoul of US law they were allowed to do so. This law now prohibits two people engaging in an otherwise legal contract due to the fact that its terms are Islamic or extranational in origin.

How such an arrangement could be offensive to anyone here is beyond me outside of Islamophobia. There is simply no other plausible explanation I can think of.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
How such an arrangement could be offensive to anyone here is beyond me outside of Islamophobia. There is simply no other plausible explanation I can think of.

Agreed. And with all the recent attempts to make circumcision and kosher style slaughtering of cows illegal, I can quickly see this law making it illegal to follow the Jewish religion.

Fear of sharia is real - but only if we decide to not follow the Constitution. As long as we do, it cannot take over. If we do not have laws forcing people to go to Church on Sunday (and we do not) after more than two centuries of Christian domination of the US, we have nothing to fear from sharia taking over.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
there sahould be no expectation that the laws that you fled from would be used in America!!

Good for Kansas!!!

*First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.*

lol
You are a classic
But you go ahead, keep applauding and supporting these people.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
How could they come for the trade unionists if they already took all the communists away? ():)