Kamala Harris to Dan Coats: Is there a written strategy across all branches of govt to deal with future election interference?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
That is a strategy that would emanate from the White House

The answer was "No"

Anyone shocked?

Who says Trump is doing a good job?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
to be fair, implementing such a strategy would be a tacit admission that the thing that they deny ever happened, actually happened.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
to be fair, implementing such a strategy would be a tacit admission that the thing that they deny ever happened, actually happened.

When the foreign mind benders ply their craft on your behalf, what's not to like?

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I'm guessing there are two strategies that would be implemented:

1. If it helps you, ignore it.

2. If it helps your opponent, raise hell.

dyna

Oct 20, 2006
The real culprits to interference were Facebook and Twitter. Even the UK is going after Facebook for scam ads. I would start there if you wanted to go after the big fish.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
When the foreign mind benders ply their craft on your behalf, what's not to like?
I have to agree with you.

Of course. When your goal is to destabilize the US, burn down democracy & the institutions of the govt of the People you're not picky about who's helping you. If it's what Putin wants Trump is happy to oblige. The Alt-right morons are marching right behind them.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The real culprits to interference were Facebook and Twitter. Even the UK is going after Facebook for scam ads. I would start there if you wanted to go after the big fish.

So what? The Trump admin does nothing. Trump sees no reason why it would or wouldn't have been Russia, depending if he's onstage with Putin or not. Go figure.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
So apparently Russia and China are gearing up for a go at us in 2020. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Chinese money getting funneled to a few Dem candidates through domestic intermediaries. DNC and leadership need to keep an eye on things now that they’ve been warned.

Reactions: darkswordsman17
Mar 11, 2004
The thing that makes it doubly fucked is that, arguably, because of the shithead in the White House, its a good thing we don't have that at this moment, because it seems like it'd probably be a detriment to stopping such shitheads.

I'd much more strongly prefer a comprehensive strategy that is not only deliberately not coordinated with the current White House, but is deliberately about dealing with what is emanating from the White House, while also considering any and all other potential actors (it certainly wasn't and isn't just Russia alone having partaken) and looking to build safeguards for such potential situations in the future.

I've argued for years that its insane that the NSA actively exploits American companies and technology, instead of helping to bolster our security and defense of our systems, as that has done more damage than all the terror attacks we've experienced combined. Let alone taking into account how using the CIA to alter foreign states' governance has backfired immensely on us and then the total stupid clusterfuck that happened when the Bush Admin leveraged his daddy's history in the intelligence community to get them to bend to support their idiotic Iraq invasion that cost us how many trillions of dollars with little to show for it.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
What strategy would one expect? Make it illegal to post false information? Hire a couple hundred thousand people to read everything that's put on the web and verify it's accuracy? Unplug the whole damn thing?
It's a pretty much unregulated bulletin board with a billion contributors from all over the world.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
What strategy would one expect? Make it illegal to post false information? Hire a couple hundred thousand people to read everything that's put on the web and verify it's accuracy? Unplug the whole damn thing?
It's a pretty much unregulated bulletin board with a billion contributors from all over the world.
Because nothing is a better answer??

How about dealing with the problem at the source?? How about not easing sanctions until you knows who changes his behavior. If he doesn't apply more pressure.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Maybe our govt could work with social media providers to help them identify troll factories & bot nets in the wild. Maybe we could get them to self censor ads designed to deceive & spread disinformation... Maybe we could insist on public service ads that counter disinformation as it's generated... Oh, wait, they'd end up censoring the GOP, wouldn't they?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Foreign powers are using democracy's greatest strength against it, free speech and the ability to dissent against ones government.

Unlike the unimaginative people who wish to throw their hands up (mainly because "their side" benefits from inaction) there are plenty of things that can be done.

The most obvious is to remove the traitor from the white house. The next would be to vote out the people who enabled the traitor.

Our intelligence agencies can also provide counter propaganda in the short term.

One important thing that should be done to minimize governments that wish to undermine democracies is to strengthen our ties globally with those that support democracy and unite together to impose sanctions on such countries and to make it absolutely clear to the people of those nations that their pain and suffering is the direct result of the actions of their leaders. Now is the time to strengthen our ties to each other, not to weaken them.

Long term, our country and others must heavily invest in our education system so that such propaganda (like what we see on the right) becomes ineffectual. Its also the time to strengthen our democracy, through transparency, through fairness such as ensuring people have the right to vote and to be able to do so without harassment or discrimination, and to ensure our elections are fair and free from outside influence and to allow an even playing field so we don't only have billionaires running for office. Now is the time to codify good norms into laws so that they aren't simply ignored. Now is the time to strengthen our democracy, not to weaken it in the face of fear but instead look fear in the face and say bring it on!

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Isn't it about time we treat Putin like the bully he is. Maybe time we get together with a few other nations and develop a covert counter attack against Putin.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Why couldn't the US just hire the Russian Jedi's away from Putin? Offer them big money and a huge signing bonus. Then put them to work restoring balance to the Force, er, internet?

To be honest, I'm not really sure how this works. I picture this as a bunch of guys making up stories and posting them on facebook, or whatever limited attention span outlet is popular at the moment. The vast heard of people that use the service then see this information and are swayed into voting for someone that they wouldn't vote for under normal circumstances.
Is this concept accurate? Is there more to it that I'm missing?
Is there really a Darth Gorbachev somewhere that's in charge of manipulating weak minded Americans?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Isn't it about time we treat Putin like the bully he is. Maybe time we get together with a few other nations and develop a covert counter attack against Putin.
Kind of like a cold war. The last one worked out pretty well, I'd be up for round two.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Kind of like a cold war. The last one worked out pretty well, I'd be up for round two.
We managed to interrupt Iran's nuclear enrichment program with Stuxnet working with Israel. We just need a more reliable partner. Israel fucked up and it got out to the public.

You don't need to necessarily target Putin directly. Go rouge on all those oligarchs. They lose their money Putin will fall.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Of course. When your goal is to destabilize the US, burn down democracy & the institutions of the govt of the People you're not picky about who's helping you. If it's what Putin wants Trump is happy to oblige. The Alt-right morons are marching right behind them.

Funny you mention Trump but didn't Obama's admin know full well that the Russian were "interfering" and did nothing? I guess when you think your real Russian puppet was going to win, nobody is concerned.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Funny you mention Trump but didn't Obama's admin know full well that the Russian were "interfering" and did nothing? I guess when you think your real Russian puppet was going to win, nobody is concerned.
Maybe once you learn to tell the truth people will take you seriously.

Pathetic

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Obvious you don't know how counter intelligence works. You wait and watch for the whole picture. You have no clue as to where the Obama investigation was going.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Obvious you don't know how counter intelligence works. You wait and watch for the whole picture. You have no clue as to where the Obama investigation was going.
Obama wanted to take joint action. Asked Mitch McConnell for his support so it wouldn't look like Obama was tipping the election but he refused. Obama did enact sanctions.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

You are aware that Obama went to congress to get bilateral support to expose such interference to the public, right? Oh you didn't hear about the bilateral condemnation? Yeah, that's because your traitor boy mitch McConnell refused to do such a thing because he believes in putting his party first before his County (I assume his country is the USA).

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/21/5876...a-stop-russia-s-election-interference-in-2016

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

It is beyond deplorable how truly wrong this statement is. Do you not even care about the truth of what actually happened here?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Deny & distract, standard disinformation technique.