Kamala Harris proposes up to $6,000 credit for families

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Okay but surely you understand people like me are now baked into your plan, no? That’s why it costs more.

Before people like me were left to die or were left as wards of the state which you just paid differently.

Yes I understand and don't have a problem with it. My father died of lung cancer when he was 62. He was lucky enough to have good retirement health insurance at a relatively low cost from the phone company that paid for treatment. I dont have that option.

I don't have any stats to backup it up but I thought that the baby boomer generation is a significant factor in the rising cost of healthcare.

Nov 8, 2012
By using credit afforded to them by the rich. Every once and awhile, we get a credit bubble and the government steps in, bails out the banks and creditors and the cycle starts all over again.

Damn them for giving them opportunities yet expecting them as humans with a functioning brain to be responsible. Next thing we should do is revoke mortgages. Make those fuckers save up for 40 years and buy them whole right before they die.

Nov 8, 2012
I consider myself conservative but by most standards more likely a moderate.

I was against the tax cuts as they weren't deficit neutral - though I have no complaint about the extra $$$ in my take home which was a nice bump at my pay range.
I'm against this as well... Especially handing out $$$ to those that ultimately will have a net negative income tax contribution as a result from it. This isn't a solution.

This is just another polarizing litmus test for each side to agitate their bases over. Me? I really want something big and meaningful like health care reform not written by the corporations. I'm open to reforming healthcare as it stands or looking at single payer. I've watched my own costs spiral up over the last several years and can't fathom scraping by and getting hit with the ER bill I just had to pay. Both parties could reinvent themselves with healthcare... Neither will do so. Dems had their chance and fucked it up.

Fair amount of good from the tax cuts though, In particular I am heavily in favor of taking away the incentives to live in HCOL areas. Why should our federal tax system subsidize HCOL states? Pay up or move to a LCOL area if you don't want to pay your fair share scrubs.

Reactions: WackyDan

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
I damn well know no one subsidizes me living in a HCOL state. I pay a lot in local, property and federal taxes. I am not sure what you are referencing, but the federal tax burden lands quite heavily on those HCOL states so that the poorly run LCOL states like Kansas don't fall into a financial black hole.

Reactions: Bitek

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Fair amount of good from the tax cuts though, In particular I am heavily in favor of taking away the incentives to live in HCOL areas. Why should our federal tax system subsidize HCOL states? Pay up or move to a LCOL area if you don't want to pay your fair share scrubs.

Because HCOL states already subsidize LCOL states?
Is this a parody post?

Nov 8, 2012
I damn well know no one subsidizes me living in a HCOL state. I pay a lot in local, property and federal taxes. I am not sure what you are referencing, but the federal tax burden lands quite heavily on those HCOL states so that the poorly run LCOL states like Kansas don't fall into a financial black hole.

If you don't understand the basics of itemized deductions in regards to Federal income taxes than you are simply too stupid to partake in the conversation.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Not a valid argument. We are talking about the process of paying taxes - not where taxes are allocated to.
What?!?! You brought it up. You implied that there is some incentive to live in a HCOL state. Vic accurately pointed out that the incentive is paid to people in LCOL states (who are being held up by HCOL states). Which is the exact opposite of your point!?!?

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
If you don't understand the basics of itemized deductions in regards to Federal income taxes than you are simply too stupid to partake in the conversation.

Are you drunk right now?!?! Although I disagree with your points, you logic has never seen so elusive. What do my itemized deductions have to do with living in a HCOL state? You perhaps should sober up before continuing.

Nov 8, 2012
Are you drunk right now?!?! Although I disagree with your points, you logic has never seen so elusive. What do my itemized deductions have to do with living in a HCOL state? You perhaps should sober up before continuing.

Everything.

It has everything to do with living in a HCOL state. I work in tax. Again, you're obviously not informed enough in tax and probably pay a CPA to do your return yearly since you're obviously not informed of the benefits you previously had prior to tax reform.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Eventually you run out of other people’s money, and then what?

Bull!@#$. UBI at $1,000/mo would be covered by a 25% tax, and replace a great many programs. Raising taxes to actually cover costs means not running out of anything. There's nothing unsound with the basic principle, it just has to be applied correctly.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Damn them for giving them opportunities yet expecting them as humans with a functioning brain to be responsible. Next thing we should do is revoke mortgages. Make those fuckers save up for 40 years and buy them whole right before they die.

It's not like raising federal taxes on mortgage holders in HCOL states will help them pay their mortgages, is it?

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth & don't even realize it.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Everything.

It has everything to do with living in a HCOL state. I work in tax. Again, you're obviously not informed enough in tax and probably pay a CPA to do your return yearly since you're obviously not informed of the benefits you previously had prior to tax reform.

I do like how you try to insult me by pretending that paying someone to do my taxes means I am not intelligent. Sometimes, we pay other people to do stuff we don't want to do because we have better things (like posting in forums) to do with our time. I don't change my oil either. I will leave that for you to process.

However, I do my own taxes. Assisted usually with Turbotax. I have found preparers and CPAs that I have used either too shady (aggressive on the deductions) or not creative enough. And yes, I take advantage of all the breaks I am allowed. My point is that just because I pay a lot of taxes does not mean I do not take my deductions fully. I don;t get to use all the loopholes like the 1% but I get by.

So back to the part where you are either drunk or stupid. You stated that there is some magical incentive to live in a HCOL state (not necessarily indicating you are either drunk or stupid) . Vic pointed out that it's the LCOL states who get the benefits of taxes paid by HCOL residents. Then you said this wasn't about where taxes go (which would indicate some incentives I think). This is the part where you are either cross posting, drunk, or stupid. So, if you are sober enough, perhaps you can explain what these benefits are that I must be missing while doing my taxes. Since I am not "in the tax biz", I must be missing some awesome loophole or something.

Last edited:

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
It's not like raising federal taxes on mortgage holders in HCOL states will help them pay their mortgages, is it?

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth & don't even realize it.
I am going to be polite and just say his problem is the drink right now. I am glad I am not the only one seeing the contradiction in saying something about taxes then saying he didn't say it then bringing it up again. I can usually keep up, but maybe I need more to drink...

Nov 8, 2012
I do like how you try to insult me by pretending that paying someone to do my taxes means I am not intelligent. Sometimes, we pay other people to do stuff we don't want to do because we have better things (like posting in forums) to do with our time. I don't change my oil either. I will leave that for you to process.

However, I do my own taxes. Assisted usually with Turbotax. I have found preparers and CPAs that I have used either too shady (aggressive on the deductions) or not creative enough. And yes, I take advantage of all the breaks I am allowed. My point is that just because I pay a lot of taxes does not mean I do not take my deductions fully. I don;t get to use all the loopholes like the 1% but I get by.

So back to the part where you are either drunk or stupid. You stated that there is some magical incentive to live in a HCOL state (not necessarily indicating you are either drunk or stupid) . Vic pointed out that it's the LCOL states who get the benefits of taxes paid by HCOL residents. Then you said this wasn't about where taxes go (which would indicate some incentives I think). This is the part where you are either cross posting, drunk, or stupid. So, if you are sober enough, perhaps you can explain what these benefits are that I must be missing while doing my taxes. Since I am not "in the tax biz", I must be missing some awesome loophole or something.
I am most certainly not drunk tonight. I only had 26 beers.

But I digress, I don't have the patience to explain it to you tonight since I got shit for sleep last night. In the morning I'll explain it in full, but ideally in the meantime a competent left leaning person like @fskimospy can do you a favor and enlighten you.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I didn't say anything about any of that and I'm not sure what you're rambling about. I said that the top has replaced the lost wages of the former middle class with credit (all time high on credit card debt for example) so that they could still purchase items from said rich, even with lower wages. Works until it doesn't (2008 for example).

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001

Bruh do you even mortgage interest deduction

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
I am most certainly not drunk tonight. I only had 26 beers.

But I digress, I don't have the patience to explain it to you tonight since I got shit for sleep last night. In the morning I'll explain it in full, but ideally in the meantime a competent left leaning person like @fskimospy can do you a favor and enlighten you.
I am looking forward to someone explaining what incentive is given to us is HCOL states. I mean beyond the fact that we have better schools, higher median salaries, diverse cultures, etc. If you are going to try to explain that tax deductions for mortgage interest is some sort of incentive only HCOL states get, you can stop before you start. I'll wait and look forward to being enlightened tomorrow. Please use small words. I ain't no tax expert, ya hear?

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
The first time I read that, I thought you meant there is some way to re-mortgage your deductions that you get on the interest for your mortgage repeatedly. Then I thought you had missed a word like "get". Then I started thinking "wait, is there some illuminatti way to roll those deductions back into the mortgage to get additional deductions on the interest that I pay for my mortgage in some way?!?! Like looking at a mirror in a mirror that creates infinite deductions? Now that would be some real tax magic that Turbo Tax does not find. Maybe I do need a tax guy...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Why do people live in HCOL areas? Because that's where the Job Creators want them to be.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Bruh that shit is gone just like your 2106 deduction. You (and I) are now in the same tax bracket as the billionaire but without the billionaires' writeoffs.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I am looking forward to someone explaining what incentive is given to us is HCOL states. I mean beyond the fact that we have better schools, higher median salaries, diverse cultures, etc. If you are going to try to explain that tax deductions for mortgage interest is some sort of incentive only HCOL states get, you can stop before you start. I'll wait and look forward to being enlightened tomorrow. Please use small words. I ain't no tax expert, ya hear?

Is love to hear the argument as well of why as a nation we should be incentivizing policy to abandon large, powerful, talented, heavily developed economic engines like New York City to scatter people into LCOL places like Nebraska.

Across the globe its been migration into the cities as the economic growth and development trend.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Are these like the $600,000 tax credits people who make $5 million a year get or are these different? I thought giving tax cuts was good.
Only if you are among the wealthiest 1% of taxpayers (according to the R's).:eek: