Kamala Harris proposes up to $6,000 credit for families

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Actually any real economist can document to you that tax cuts/cash giveaways/whatever you want to call them to the poor and middle class are far, far more effective to stimulating the economy and creating job growth than those to the rich. That's because the poor and middle class actually spend a greater percentage of the money thus creating demand. Daddy Warbucks taking his government bonus and speculating in the stock market does essentially diddly (expect maybe creating a few more jobs at brokerage firms.

That said a much more significant problem right now is the extent to which the Trump law has thrown the government budget out of wack, ramping up the deficit to an unsustainable level and setting us up for a new wave of rising interest rates and inflation. He is intentionally recreating the stagflation LBJ and Nixon created by accident. To me the first priority to eliminate the Trump tax law in it's entirety (unless by chance there is some small part of it that makes economic sense-probably by accident). Then aim at government corruption, fraud and waste (another Trump growth area) while directing government money to areas where it will do the best for the country as a whole.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
They are financial cuckolds. They love to see us rich liberals get richer and imagine themselves as us.
I especially love it when those rich liberals use their wealth and power to fight low income housing in their neighborhoods, prevent certain demographics from attending the same schools as their kids or gentrify spaces built for the working class into boutique hotels and luxury apartments. I often fantasize about being an elitist hypocrite.

Reactions: woolfe9998

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I especially love it when those rich liberals use their wealth and power to fight low income housing in their neighborhoods, prevent certain demographics from attending the same schools as their kids or gentrify spaces built for the working class into boutique hotels and luxury apartments. I often fantasize about being an elitist hypocrite.

I missed the memo where this was exclusive domain of rich liberals. Also obviously anything else liberals might be for should be considered suspect as well because sometimes people are hypocrites.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Know what creates jobs? Demand. Middle class and poorer people spend more of their disposable income which goes directly into the economy which ups demand, which create jobs.

No amount of "job creators" are "creating" jobs if there isn't anyone to buy the stuff they are selling.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016

Just keep voting for my tax cuts and one day it will trickle down. Trust me!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
She should be paying out more. Hell, she got paid over 10 times that much for allegedly sucking Willie Brown's willie in 1994.

https://amgreatness.com/2018/04/21/poontronage-when-kamala-met-willie/

"Willie Brown appointed Harris to the state Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board, which paid $97,088 a year. She served six months and Brown then appointed her to the California Medical Assistance Commission, which met only once a month but paid Harris $72,000. Call it “poontronage,” a politician’s appointment of his steady girlfriend, frequent companion, and main squeeze to a lucrative government position requiring little work"

btw turnabout is fair play, right folks? ;)
It's interesting how 2 wrongs always make a right with you, and yet you still imagine you hold the moral high ground.

Reactions: Meghan54

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article220239985.html

American families making less than $100,000 a year could be eligible for a monthly tax credit of up to $500, or $6,000 a year, under new legislation announced Thursday by Democratic U.S. Sen. Kamala Harris of California.​

Individuals making less than $50,000 would be eligible for up to $250 a month, $3,000 a year.​

“Americans are working harder than ever but stagnant wages mean they can’t keep up with cost of living increases,” Harris, a likely presidential candidate in 2020, said in a statement.​

Proposed tax credit that would be paid annually or monthly. Kamala is kick starting her 2020 run and is promising to shape up to be a regular Santa Claus. Eventually you run out of other people’s money, and then what?

so she's actually proposing to cut taxes/increase wealth for middle-class people, rather than ultra wealthy sociopaths, and you think this is bad?

You approve of the Federal Trump loan that was forced on the majority of this country, or not?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I missed the memo where this was exclusive domain of rich liberals. Also obviously anything else liberals might be for should be considered suspect as well because sometimes people are hypocrites.
When liberals are hypocrites towards things that are core to their values, it kind of makes it all a facade...like the GOP as the party of “ethics”. They blew the door off that barn.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Just keep voting for my tax cuts and one day it will trickle down. Trust me!
I don’t support tax cuts nor will you find me evangelize for the jerb creators, but that’s because I’ve lived in societies where people don’t obsess over hoarding excessive wealth.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Know what creates jobs? Demand. Middle class and poorer people spend more of their disposable income which goes directly into the economy which ups demand, which create jobs.

No amount of "job creators" are "creating" jobs if there isn't anyone to buy the stuff they are selling.
The working class and middle class continue to consume. That’s why Costco is a zoo every weekend and there are Black Friday riots. People consume at the expense of building their savings.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The working class and middle class continue to consume. That’s why Costco is a zoo every weekend and there are Black Friday riots. People consume at the expense of building their savings.

By using credit afforded to them by the rich. Every once and awhile, we get a credit bubble and the government steps in, bails out the banks and creditors and the cycle starts all over again.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I didn't notice Rich people having a lot of trouble being rich back in 1980, when the 1% share of national income was 9% instead of 20% & their tax rates were considerably higher.

Vote GOP. Because Freedumb! They'll lie right to your face about what's happened to the middle class & how it got this way.
Standby for the bothsides@ Democrats are just as bad folks to show up.
Edit: too late!

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I was not implying you said tax cuts for the rich was good. I just don't recall the thread you had started to express concern when we borrowed $1.5 trillion to provide tax cuts (disproportionately) to the ultra wealthy and corporations. I may have missed it. [In all fairness, I don't find a phone conducive to searching threads so I am being lazy].
You didn't miss shit.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
By using credit afforded to them by the rich. Every once and awhile, we get a credit bubble and the government steps in, bails out the banks and creditors and the cycle starts all over again.
That too. Whether its the government or creditors, its still a form of trickle down...what happened to the bold programs that allow people to break the cycle of poverty, compounded by globalization, automation and cheap migrant labor.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
That too. Whether its the government or creditors, its still a form of trickle down...what happened to the bold programs that allow people to break the cycle of poverty, compounded by globalization, automation and cheap migrant labor.

I disagree that money that has to be paid back is 'trickle down'.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I consider myself conservative but by most standards more likely a moderate.

I was against the tax cuts as they weren't deficit neutral - though I have no complaint about the extra $$$ in my take home which was a nice bump at my pay range.
I'm against this as well... Especially handing out $$$ to those that ultimately will have a net negative income tax contribution as a result from it. This isn't a solution.

This is just another polarizing litmus test for each side to agitate their bases over. Me? I really want something big and meaningful like health care reform not written by the corporations. I'm open to reforming healthcare as it stands or looking at single payer. I've watched my own costs spiral up over the last several years and can't fathom scraping by and getting hit with the ER bill I just had to pay. Both parties could reinvent themselves with healthcare... Neither will do so. Dems had their chance and fucked it up.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I consider myself conservative but by most standards more likely a moderate.

I was against the tax cuts as they weren't deficit neutral - though I have no complaint about the extra $$$ in my take home which was a nice bump at my pay range.
I'm against this as well... Especially handing out $$$ to those that ultimately will have a net negative income tax contribution as a result from it. This isn't a solution.

This is just another polarizing litmus test for each side to agitate their bases over. Me? I really want something big and meaningful like health care reform not written by the corporations. I'm open to reforming healthcare as it stands or looking at single payer. I've watched my own costs spiral up over the last several years and can't fathom scraping by and getting hit with the ER bill I just had to pay. Both parties could reinvent themselves with healthcare... Neither will do so. Dems had their chance and fucked it up.

We agree that Dems fucked it up. They tried to keep it bipartisan and the corporations onboard. Dems should have told both the republicans and corporations to go fuck themselves.

Meanwhile, republicans control congress and the presidency, yet are like a monkey humping a healthcare football.

So much for all those promises.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
.what happened to the bold programs that allow people to break the cycle of poverty, compounded by globalization, automation and cheap migrant labor.

Automation is not a bad thing. The problem is that gains in productivity used to flow mostly to workers as increased wages. However now those gains go to the investor class.

Also what bold programs are you referring to and would like to see make a come back?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Automation is not a bad thing. The problem is that gains in productivity used to flow mostly to workers as increased wages. However now those gains go to the investor class.

Also what bold programs are you referring to and would like to see make a come back?
Social Security, the New Deal and support for labor were bold programs put in place in response to the Great Depression. Eisenhower instituted bold investments in infrastructure that are the backbone of our economy even today. Kennedy declared the moon as a challenge to science.

Our economy is perhaps too diverse to suffer a catastropic failing again, but as you pointed out, the gains of automation, globalization and even immigration all flow one way.

Maybe I am asking for leadership, not programs

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Republicans happened, obviously. Sheesh.

Reactions: nickqt

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Ironically, this exact scenario is likely to be the cause of the next recession. Now that we've gone past full employment, employers are having more difficulty finding workers and wages are going up. A good thing for the American worker, for sure, but bad news for corporate profits and Wall Street. The other issue is rising interest rates and an inverting yield curve.
Anyway, hang onto your hats. The rollercoaster is still going up for a while, but not forever.