Kamala Harris proposes up to $6,000 credit for families

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Irresponsible government spending buying votes is irresponsible, no matter what end of the income scale it affects. Yes tax cuts are good, but only once spending has been brought under control. You won’t find a post by me supporting the tax cuts (different than a credit too btw) nor will you find a post my me supporting this. Feel free to make my arguement for me though.

I was not implying you said tax cuts for the rich was good. I just don't recall the thread you had started to express concern when we borrowed $1.5 trillion to provide tax cuts (disproportionately) to the ultra wealthy and corporations. I may have missed it. [In all fairness, I don't find a phone conducive to searching threads so I am being lazy].

Feb 4, 2009
https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article220239985.html

American families making less than $100,000 a year could be eligible for a monthly tax credit of up to $500, or $6,000 a year, under new legislation announced Thursday by Democratic U.S. Sen. Kamala Harris of California.​

Individuals making less than $50,000 would be eligible for up to $250 a month, $3,000 a year.​

“Americans are working harder than ever but stagnant wages mean they can’t keep up with cost of living increases,” Harris, a likely presidential candidate in 2020, said in a statement.​

Proposed tax credit that would be paid annually or monthly. Kamala is kick starting her 2020 run and is promising to shape up to be a regular Santa Claus. Eventually you run out of other people’s money, and then what?

Aren’t tax cuts a good thing?

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
I voted for Kamala Harris. She's an excellent senator, much better than that neocon bitch Feinstein

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
LOL I don't know who this woman is in the OP but I am going to bet $1 (I never bet) that she is black based on the person who posted it...

Please tell me later if I was right...

EDIT: Had to google, only half right or is i 1/32nd right.... can't be sure these days....

She's the first black woman California has ever sent to the Senate and the first Indian American to ever serve in the body.

Indian (India) Jamaican. I find her rather attractive.:rolleyes:

I can use an extra tax credit to help pay my $2500 monthly bill for ACA health insurance.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
We should all be more concerned about Dem spending that will likely never happen rather than with the GOP class warfare looting spree going on right now, today.

I suppose they'll eventually run out of other people's money, right?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Indian (India) Jamaican. I find her rather attractive.:rolleyes:

I can use an extra tax credit to help pay my $2500 monthly bill for ACA health insurance.

Well remember the mandate is gone so you don’t have to buy it if you don’t want to. You can contrast that with me where I wished I could buy insurance but couldn’t because I had cancer in my past so I was just fucked forever.

Maybe a few more tax cuts for rich people would have solved it.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well remember the mandate is gone so you don’t have to buy it if you don’t want to. You can contrast that with me where I wished I could buy insurance but couldn’t because I had cancer in my past so I was just fucked forever.

From what I remember, the mandate ends next year. Still in effect this year.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Never saw you starting a thread about the GOP tax cuts either. Did notice you quoting the old "other people's money" standby of the right. If what you're interested in is fiscal conservation, I have no idea why you would ever vote for any republican. Just look back at deficits Reagan to the present. The GOP has screwed that pooch going on 40 years now, but this is what makes you want to start a thread?

Lots of concern....of course.

Reactions: Meghan54

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The bill isn't going anywhere, so who the hell cares?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
From what I remember, the mandate ends next year. Still in effect this year.
GOP wanted to ensure that the effect of letting people get healthcare without paying for health insurance didn't hit until after the midterms.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I wonder why people are so much more concerned about fiscal irresponsibility when it helps regular people as opposed to rich people.

Reactions: HomerJS

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
I wonder why people are so much more concerned about fiscal irresponsibility when it helps regular people as opposed to rich people.

They are financial cuckolds. They love to see us rich liberals get richer and imagine themselves as us.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000

I would still get the same plan at the same price whether I go through ACA (no subsidy) or direct to Florida Blue. My wife and I are older and in generally good health but we still have health issues that warrant a good plan. I will be voting next month and in the future for candidates who support pre-existing conditions in health care plans.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I would still get the same plan at the same price whether I go through ACA (no subsidy) or direct to Florida Blue. My wife and I are older and in generally good health but we still have health issues that warrant a good plan. I will be voting next month and in the future for candidates who support pre-existing conditions in health care plans.

Okay but surely you understand people like me are now baked into your plan, no? That’s why it costs more.

Before people like me were left to die or were left as wards of the state which you just paid differently.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
Proposed tax credit that would be paid annually or monthly. Kamala is kick starting her 2020 run and is promising to shape up to be a regular Santa Claus. Eventually you run out of other people’s money, and then what?

Tax credits aren't really other people's money.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
so very, very concerned.
That response has been done to death at this point.
Back on the topic at hand, it might not be a bad idea. It's apparent that we're not going to stop over spending, regardless of who's driving, so lets do it right. Tax cuts for poor people and truly vast sums spent on infrastructure. I want a solar farm the size of Texas, I want every street in the US repaved and every bridge rebuilt. Lets run up a real tab before it blows up. Then we can go through 5 years of hell, reset all the counters to zero, and start over again.

The first time I said this it was a joke. The second time I said it I wondered if it was possible. Now I'm wondering if it isn't necessary.

Reactions: pcgeek11

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Americans want Nordstrom quality for Walmart prices, and that just ain't life.

Until people figure out that a quality safety net means *gasp* you gotta pay for it (and not just in a unicorn and faries "control costs/find efficiencies" sort of way) then we're just going to go round this merry-go-round over and over.

I hope this comment was sufficiently vague enough that everyone thinks I'm talking about them or their side.

Jul 9, 2009
She should be paying out more. Hell, she got paid over 10 times that much for allegedly sucking Willie Brown's willie in 1994.

https://amgreatness.com/2018/04/21/poontronage-when-kamala-met-willie/

"Willie Brown appointed Harris to the state Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board, which paid $97,088 a year. She served six months and Brown then appointed her to the California Medical Assistance Commission, which met only once a month but paid Harris $72,000. Call it “poontronage,” a politician’s appointment of his steady girlfriend, frequent companion, and main squeeze to a lucrative government position requiring little work"

btw turnabout is fair play, right folks? ;)

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Irresponsible government spending buying votes is irresponsible, no matter what end of the income scale it affects. Yes tax cuts are good, but only once spending has been brought under control. You won’t find a post by me supporting the tax cuts (different than a credit too btw) nor will you find a post my me supporting this. Feel free to make my arguement for me though.

Oh fuck off with that after Trump just passed his $3T welfare for the wealthy.

If you don't like yours, please send your check to the IRS

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
No need to borrow it. Money needs to circulate. If it doesn't the then capitalist system chokes.
So either the people with the money circulate that cash, or try to sit on it and have it redistributed forcibly.

Indeed. It was tongue in cheek.