Kaido's iPhone App of the Week - Movies.app!

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Movies.app

What is Movies.app?

Movies.app is a free iPhone application designed to give you information about local movie theaters in the US. Among other things, you can find local movies times, buy tickets online, watch trailers for movies, and get directions to the nearest theater. Movies.app is your one-stop-shop for local movie information!

How does it work?

When you bring up the app, it gives you 4 choices on the bottom:

1. Lookup
2. Box Office
3. Opening Soon
4. About

Lookup is the default selection. To use it, you first type in your Zip Code. This enables the app to lookup theaters in the area. Next, you select the date you want to see a movie - Today, Tomorrow, or Next Day. Last, you can select view by Movie or Theater. For example, if you wanted to catch the latest Batman movie, you could select View By Movie and see all of the theaters in the area that the movie is playing at. Otherwise, you can select View By Theater, which is useful if you're at the mall and near a specific theater and want to see what movies they have.

Once you've selected a Movie and a Theater, Movies.app gives you all kinds of useful information. The Movie Information section includes:

-Name
-Length
-Genre
-Rating
-Rated
-Watch Trailer
-Go to IMDb

The Theater Information section includes:

-Theater
-Times
-Buy Tickets
-Map to Theater

Box Office shows you the current movies playing in theaters. It includes a picture of the movie poster as well as a brief description of the movie. Opening Soon shows upcoming movies, including the title and brief description (it also shows some movie posters, if they are available). You can choose Wide Release, Limited Release, or Both. About simply gives you some basic info about the app (who made it, etc.).

Where can I get it?

(if the link doesn't work properly, just go into the iTunes AppStore and search for "Movies.app")

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObj...ware?id=284235722&mt=8

Additional Resources:

There is an online version of this app available here:

http://moviesapp.com

Here's a video review of the app itself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m91XTGmWcU4

There is another movie theater app called Box Office, but I don't like it as much because it doesn't have as many features as Movies.app does. The only real advantage is that it gives you Rotten Tomatoes ratings. However, I like being able to click and watch a trailer of the movie right from the app, so Movies.app wins in my book.

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
i vote for a stickied single thread... Post your new app every week as a reply, then copy it, edit the first post, paste in the current week.

$.02

<3

And the problem with Movies.app is that movies are too expensive! ;)

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: slugg
i vote for a stickied single thread... Post your new app every week as a reply, then copy it, edit the first post, paste in the current week.

Were actually gonna be doing something a similar, but a little different. Shortly, I'm going to make a stickied thread which links to each weeks 'iPhone App of the Week' and standard OSX 'App of the Week' (that I plan to resume next week).

It will help keep the discussion for each thread on topic, and provide a central location to keep track of all the weekly highlighted apps.

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: aphex

Were actually gonna be doing something a similar, but a little different. Shortly, I'm going to make a stickied thread which links to each weeks 'iPhone App of the Week' and standard OSX 'App of the Week' (that I plan to resume next week).

It will help keep the discussion for each thread on topic, and provide a central location to keep track of all the weekly highlighted apps.

There's no off-switch on genius.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: aphex

There's no off-switch on genius.

Huh?

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
just joking around... im just saying your idea is a good idea :p

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
just joking around... im just saying your idea is a good idea :p

lol, gotcha. I'm a little slow tonight.