Justice-- YES -- No??

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200..._us/nfl_player_stopped

DALLAS ? A Dallas police officer who detained an NFL player in a hospital parking lot while the player's mother-in-law was dying inside has resigned.

An attorney for Officer Robert Powell said Powell resigned Wednesday over the March 18 incident in which he drew his gun and threatened Houston Texans running back Ryan Moats.

Powell stopped Moats' SUV in the Plano parking lot after the vehicle rolled through a red light. Moats' wife, Tamishia, and other relatives were also in the car.

Moats' mother-in-law died while Powell was ticketing and lecturing him. Powell later issued an apology, which Moats accepted.

The resignation was first reported by Dallas-Fort Worth television station KTVT.

##########################################

Is this the proper outcome of this horrid incident?
Or is the the path of least resistance for the Officer and the DPD?

My opinion is this officer recognized that no matter what he does in the future this is a mark or bemish that will follow him whereever he goes!!

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
He was in the right IMO. But next time I commit a crime I will make sure to rush to the hospital and claim that my mother is dying.

Darkstar757

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
I think it was the mature outcome on both side. No law suits and no long drawn out drama. Sucks for the young cop as he is going to have a had time finding new work.

Darkstar757

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
Originally posted by: JS80
He was in the right IMO. But next time I commit a crime I will make sure to rush to the hospital and claim that my mother is dying.

Dude

Thats soo lame. The guys mom was dying so quit being an asshat.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
A bit of both. If it weren't a football player I doubt he would have resigned; the celebrity factor is contributing to the outcome. However there is no need to draw down on someone for a traffic violation, and I don't really think we need cops like that anyway.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Darkstar757

Dude

If he didn't run the red light he would have had plenty of time to see the mother.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Originally posted by: BoberFett
A bit of both. If it weren't a football player I doubt he would have resigned; the celebrity factor is contributing to the outcome. However there is no need to draw down on someone for a traffic violation, and I don't really think we need cops like that anyway.

Seconded.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Darkstar757

Dude

js80 is a asshat. He only trolls 1 liners in every thread. I know I do it sometimes too but jeezus tone it down a bit

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Corn

Seconded.

x3. Hopefully this guy comes away from this with lessons learned and a more sensible future outlook. I wish him and his family success.

blahblah99

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

DALLAS ? A Dallas police officer who detained an NFL player in a hospital parking lot while the player's mother-in-law was dying inside has resigned.

An attorney for Officer Robert Powell said Powell resigned Wednesday over the March 18 incident in which he drew his gun and threatened Houston Texans running back Ryan Moats.

Powell stopped Moats' SUV in the Plano parking lot after the vehicle rolled through a red light. Moats' wife, Tamishia, and other relatives were also in the car.

Moats' mother-in-law died while Powell was ticketing and lecturing him. Powell later issued an apology, which Moats accepted.

The resignation was first reported by Dallas-Fort Worth television station KTVT.

My opinion is this officer recognized that no matter what he does in the future this is a mark or bemish that will follow him whereever he goes!!

Being an NFL player doesn't entitle anyone to exemptions from the law, but with that being said, the cop should have better judgement.

Jack Flash

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2006
Originally posted by: blahblah99
Being an NFL player doesn't entitle anyone to exemptions from the law, but with that being said, the cop should have better judgement.

I'm curious if you've seen the entire video of the incident.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

i have no trouble with him drawing the weapon. they did jump out of the vehicle.

what i had trouble with was once he was notified that they had family dying he should have changed how he was acting and not continue the lecture and holding him there to prove a point.

I also have no trouble with him being off the police force.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Is it justice? I'd say no, it doesn't fit my definition of justice. I'm not sure justice needed to be done.

Is it appropriate? A young cop that allows power to go to his head, shows no remorse, and who has a history of similar offenses resigns? I'd say that's appropriate. He wasn't a good cop.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: sactoking
Is it justice? I'd say no, it doesn't fit my definition of justice. I'm not sure justice needed to be done.

Is it appropriate? A young cop that allows power to go to his head, shows no remorse, and who has a history of similar offenses resigns? I'd say that's appropriate. He wasn't a good cop.

He apologized and resigned... no remorse?

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: silverpig

When he watched the video with his boss's he said he did nothing wrong. He apologized AFTER it hit the news and he was trying to save his butt.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: blahblah99
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

Oh let's see, Powell's lawyer had to deliver a written apology. Probably did not trust Robert to give a public apology with out going postal. Powell described by a fellow officier as a "quiet, keep to himself kinda guy" had only one charge of excessive force on record, but several of "sick time" abuses. They should investigate Robert a little further.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Originally posted by: Corn

Seconded.

x3. Hopefully this guy comes away from this with lessons learned and a more sensible future outlook. I wish him and his family success.

:thumbsup:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Tough situation. Cops assume much before getting involved in a situation. Running a Red Light and any aggression raises alarm by itself, Race certainly might, but not necessarily needed after the previous 2 situations. This Cop might have reacted how any Cop may have reacted, regardless of the Racial status of the Cop.

Seems to me there is a disfunction in Society as a whole. We want a Andy Griffith Police Force, but have a Dirty Harry Police Force. What we want and what we got often conflict. I think the issue should be: Why the disparity?

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Originally posted by: Marlin1975

When he watched the video with his boss's he said he did nothing wrong. He apologized AFTER it hit the news and he was trying to save his butt.

^ This. The truest measure of what someone believes is what they say immediately after an incident.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Perknose agreeing with me? I wasn't even aware there WAS an eighth seal waiting to be broken.

And excellent question sandorski. What happened to the friendly neighborhood cop?

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Perknose agreeing with me? I wasn't even aware there WAS an eighth seal waiting to be broken.

And excellent question sandorski. What happened to the friendly neighborhood cop?

they dont exist, because most cops at least in my town are very provincial; high school bullies who've lived in the same town all their lives, and just grief everyone they get in contact with because they feel above the law. it also doesn't help that they really DO have to deal with the occasional asshole every now and then, and because of the way those people act to cops, they feel they need to be tough guys to everyone they encounter :thumbsdown:

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Marlin1975

The dept probably saw nothing wrong other than to try and save face because it was a white officer and a semi famous black guy.

Don't run stop lights, and don't jump out of your car and approach a police officer if you don't want a gun pointed at you.
His lecture and speil could have been done away with, but the fact that no lawsuit has been filed and that he wasn't put under investigation or out right terminated proves that he did not do anything against the law.