Justice souter speech 4 years ago, more relevant now than ever

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Souter was a George h w Bush appointee who resigned when Obama became president. Bush was lauded when he nominated him because he wasn't conservative enough.

Anyway, tonight Rachael maddow showed a clip of him and it was quite amazing how fitting it is in the age of Donald Trump.

I encourage everyone to watch it.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Souter
They thought he was a conservative, and he started out that way. Then he moved :)

"An opinion article by The Wall Street Journal some ten years after the Souter nomination called Souter a "liberal jurist" and said that Rudman took "pride in recounting how he sold Mr. Souter to gullible White House Chief of Staff John Sununu as a confirmable conservative. Then they both sold the judge to President Bush, who wanted above all else to avoid a confirmation battle."[25] Rudman wrote in his memoir that he had "suspected all along" that Souter would not "overturn activist liberal precedents."[6] Sununu later said that he had "a lot of disappointment" about Souter's positions on the court and would have preferred him to be more similar to Justice Antonin Scalia.[6]"

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Souter was a George h w Bush appointee who resigned when Obama became president. Bush was lauded when he nominated him because he wasn't conservative enough.

Anyway, tonight Rachael maddow showed a clip of him and it was quite amazing how fitting it is in the age of Donald Trump.

Wow, I saw that last night. Talk about prophetic!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
This is not just a rebuke of Trump, but of the whole Do Nothing Republican Party.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012

Heard it last night. Was going to find it today. Thanks.

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000
From the day he stepped down from SCOTUS, Souter said he wanted schools to return to teaching civics. Wish he could gain more traction. He is sorely missed on the court.

Reactions: TeeJay1952