Justice Breyer

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
How do you think this will play out? He's 83 and so far seems to be resisting the pressure to retire. After November, the Democrats likely won't have the Senate and no chance McConnel even brings a nominee to a vote. And beyond that, it may be a very, very long time before a Democrat is even President again.

You might say what's the difference between a 6-3 majority vs 7-2 or even 8-1, and on some level you might have a point. Heck, Republicans could just pack the court next time around, who even knows at this point. I still think you try to preserve every last seat you can. Imagine Trump wins in 2024 and gets another 2 picks. That would be over half of the SCOTUS picked by one guy. Wild.

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
He's obviously determined to go the way of RBG and have his legacy wiped away once his geezer ass dies.

The amount of stubbornness in him is staggering.

Possibly make them elected by the people?
Nah, elected judges come with their own major issues, like judges campaigning on their conviction rate.

Reactions: hal2kilo

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Well that's unlikely. Do you possibly have a realistic solution for the here and now?
I was going to ask you the same thing, but instead I figured I'd give you a clue about how unrealistic your own comment was.

Just saying Breyer shouldn't retire because instead we should have a unicorn come and rainbowize how the Supreme Court works isn't a realistic answer.

Supreme Court justices are appointed for life. Please explain how Justices are "going to term out after every 8 years" in any meaningful sense that would allow Breyer to pull a RBG and needlessly die while serving on the court and handing the seat over to a fascist.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
There is only one option. He has to retire safety this term, and get a new justice while Ds still have the senate.

All the sitting justices other than Thomas are young, so little chance to replace anyone else even if they hold on to Senate in 22 or 24.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
$5 says he retires this year only in lame-duck session if Dems lose Senate but then Manchin and Sinema block his replacement until new Senate is seated for reasons.
They'll invoke the McConnell rule since it's "too close to an election" (basically any time not immediately following an election)

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
He'll retire after the conservatives gut abortion rights in the Dobbs decision. He wants to write the pointless dissent because he's delusional.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Well, if the republicans take the senate then SCOTUS won't really matter. SCOTUS has become just another branch of the republican party no matter which party controls the Whitehouse. So whats another one or two or six more republicans sitting on the high court? But I still feel that come this November, and despite the media burring Biden six foot under and that includes the liberal media holding the shovels too, I feel the midterm trend will be broken and democrats will prevail. I see no real assets in the republican party. All that republicans have to offer are more Marjorie Taylor Greene's and more Donald Trump loyalist. If a miracle would actually happen and Donald Trump were held accountable, then the republican party along with their loonies would come crashing down.

And that is another thing with keeping the house and senate under democrat control, republicans like Mitch McConnell have been trying to call January 6th a big nothing and something America should put behind us. But old Mitch was saying this before so much new stuff has come out over what really happened on and leading up to January 6th. So voters could be persuaded to keep democrats in the majority so these committees can go forward because America needs to know.
If republicans take the senate, we will never know just how deep and high up this insurrection went. Well frankly.... we do all know, but the truth will never be official without the committees. I would hope that Americans want to know, and the only way America can know is if democrats remain in control.

This should be another messaging point that democrats should be pushing.
Sometime it is so frustrating to be a democrat. I just want to grab them by the shoulders and shake some messaging sense into them. They have the messaging on their side, so what is the big problem with using it?

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
Well, if the republicans take the senate then SCOTUS won't really matter. SCOTUS has become just another branch of the republican party no matter which party controls the Whitehouse. So whats another one or two or six more republicans sitting on the high court? But I still feel that come this November, and despite the media burring Biden six foot under and that includes the liberal media holding the shovels too, I feel the midterm trend will be broken and democrats will prevail. I see no real assets in the republican party. All that republicans have to offer are more Marjorie Taylor Greene's and more Donald Trump loyalist. If a miracle would actually happen and Donald Trump were held accountable, then the republican party along with their loonies would come crashing down.

And that is another thing with keeping the house and senate under democrat control, republicans like Mitch McConnell have been trying to call January 6th a big nothing and something America should put behind us. But old Mitch was saying this before so much new stuff has come out over what really happened on and leading up to January 6th. So voters could be persuaded to keep democrats in the majority so these committees can go forward because America needs to know.
If republicans take the senate, we will never know just how deep and high up this insurrection went. Well frankly.... we do all know, but the truth will never be official without the committees. I would hope that Americans want to know, and the only way America can know is if democrats remain in control.

This should be another messaging point that democrats should be pushing.
Sometime it is so frustrating to be a democrat. I just want to grab them by the shoulders and shake some messaging sense into them. They have the messaging on their side, so what is the big problem with using it?

Stop clinging to this midterms fantasy. The only question is how badly they'll lose. The goal should be to avoid GOP supermajorities from forming by 2024. Keep the House within 10-15 seats. Honestly inflation, whether it comes down or not, will probably be the difference between the Democrats simply losing vs getting blown out.